ka-t vs sr20det? why?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
GuSpeed

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but for the same price you could get the sr20det. Why the ka-t?

the JSC precision turbo kit $1708.370cc injectors $100fuel pump$100oil pan with bung $160boost and oil pressure gauge $200intercooler and pipes $800

and this is for low boost, around the same hp as what the sr20det would do.

This cost maybe even more. Why??

Thanks for reading this.

sunnys14
Car: S14

some ppl like to be JDM tyte haha

S13FX
Car: '69 l20b Dimeski :)

If you don't post somthing worth while...it will probably get edited like mine just did...WDRacing is the man

I love flowers...

Craving4Boost
Car: 91 240sx fastback

you are generalizing boost too much....

The JGS kit does not come with a T25 like the SR does. Also, your pricing are out of wack. I dont think it's 800$ for intercooler and piping if you're looking for low boost. oil pan and bung for 160$? no way....it should cost 30$ at most if you do it yourself and use the original oilpan. I'm not going to say which motor is capable of making more power because thats stupid.

BUT...I will say that if done correctly, the JGS kit + other essentials needed will yield more power than a stock SR. This is considering both cars are boosting the same amount.

I do not want to say KA is almighty and better....I'm merely just shedding away some confusion that you may have because this is a reasonable question in my opnion. if you go either SR or KA...have fun..boost is the sex

research is key my friend

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

Yeah... your prices are off.

It is very common knowledge(I hope) that the kat is usually quite a bit more cost effective than a stock sr with equal power. There are other advantages/disadvantages to both, but that's one of the bigger factors I considered in my decision.

GuSpeed

Thank you very much for your help.

Can you please help me with the pricing then?

I just want stock boost or power like the stock SR20DET.

If I bought the JSC precision kit, what else do I need? I can't figure out how it could be the same price or find then all for cheaper than SR swap. I've search, and spent 10HRS reading and its not clear to me how it's cheaper.

THank you for your time.

crash n burn
Car: 91' le hatch, 93' UDSM silvia, 92' M30

ehh..kits are a little iffy..

i mean great if you want slap it on there and go, but as i've realized since i decided ka-t..you can piece together a fairly similar setup for just as much using quality parts you KNOW will keep together, if not cheaper.

that and when someboy asks you if its an SR, you can say no..ka-t then go and pwn one(not condoning street racing). truck genes give it more torque down low, but it loses its high end due to a narrower powerband than an sr.

its all about your preference.

Logan76
Car: Junk

Why is the Debate always KA-T or SR20? theres plenty of other very capable cost effective nissan motor's out there, the CA18DET, and the RB20DET are both priced cheaper than an SR20 in most cases and arent far from yeilding the same power.

tigwebu
Car: 1993 240sx Convertible

Logan76 wrote:Why is the Debate always KA-T or SR20? theres plenty of other very capable cost effective nissan motor's out there, the CA18DET, and the RB20DET are both priced cheaper than an SR20 in most cases and arent far from yeilding the same power.

crash n burn

rb20 has the same displacement plus 2 cyl, heavier..and its more expensive to swap.

ca is great, i was l l <-that close to doing it, but you can push an all motor ka to stock ca power with a few well selected mods..which would probably total the price of buying the ca and shipping it in the first place

Logan76

RB20 has great potential, its not that much heavier, and how is it more expensive to swap than an SR? A few well chosen mods to a CA will net you more HP than an N/A KA. Im just playing devils advocate here...

GuSpeed

thank you for responding. I have thoughts of all the ends of routes. CA, RB20, SR, and I just read somewhere that KA-T is cheaper.

Well I just wanted to know how much cheaper. All I want is around 180-200whp with very low boost.

I was also trying to make sure I got all the things I need if I went the KA-T route.

Thanks!

Logan76

you can get CA's and RB's for near 1200$ I dont know if you can beat that for a KA turbo kit.

crash n burn

hell if you want only around 200 hp..

ca just became your friend, with a little tuning and an FMIC..you can get 200whp

THEN YOU'LL BE JDM TYTE

koukicody
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

OMFG, this is awesome.A civilized KA vs. SR threadprops to those who didnt flame

GuSpeed

yeah there's no need for flame war. I didn't compare what is better, all I ask was which is cheaper and how because my pricing were wrong.

Well Osaka has CA for $950 +250shipping.

I talked to them, they got RB20DET for $1,300 shipped to my door, and I might get that.

$1,300 motor shipped$100 fuel pump$250 electric fan$425 McKinney Motor mounts

=$2,075 swap done

What ya think. I'm ordering tomorrow.

dark_munchkin

Might want to consider a clutch as well. A good swap or KA-t setup is going to cost you a chunk of money, it's whats holding me back

Zetec

Also the extra .4L of displacement with the KA can make a signifigant difference in spool up. Thats one of the main reasons im sticking with it, ive seen 2.4L motors hit 400+whp and full boost at 3200rpm. Also with head work and I believe the crower V2's you can make the KA rev almost to 8.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

Logan76 wrote:you can get CA's and RB's for near 1200$ I dont know if you can beat that for a KA turbo kit.
ya W3RD! i dont know why rb20s and ca18s are cheaper, but whatever floats yer boat.i only went sr20 because my ka was running shtty... so if i wanted to boost my ka, i'd have to rebuild, and i'm sure as hell not rich enough to do so (although, i'd love to). the torque on the ka is unmistakable though... thats for sure

TanManS14
Car: 1995 240sx

Running ****ty like how? Just becaue the ka was running ****ty dosnt mean the motor itslef was in bad shape. You could have EASILY figured out the problem and gone ka-t. Unless your compressoin was excessively low or your valveseals were bad or something of that nature...Tanner.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

TanManS14 wrote:Running ****ty like how? Just becaue the ka was running ****ty dosnt mean the motor itslef was in bad shape. You could have EASILY figured out the problem and gone ka-t. Unless your compressoin was excessively low or your valveseals were bad or something of that nature...Tanner.
i dont think imma boost a motor that has 270k miles on it

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I've been watching this thread from its inception...Usually I lock/delete these from the get go. But this one seems to be atleast marginally literate...lol. Any retarded comments will be deleted without notice etc.

For the record...Both are great motors with almost limitless potential in the right hands...hence mine is parked in front of the house

SR swaps are getting cheaper by the day...KA tuning jumps forward light years every week...SR has an excellent pre-existing aftermarket and a wealth of tuning knowledge everywhere.KA is finally seeing some aftermarket love...I already mentioned the tuning.

Why to go with either should be a more technical choice nowadays. Unless you're simply paying someone to do everything for you...in which case, don't pay for the SR swap when the RB is lurking in the shadows just waiting...

And that is why I'm a KA guy...cause it's in the car already and is a damn fine motor. Is it better then the SR...well I'm an SR hater so, I'll say hell yeah it is. But in reality, its a very close call. But why would you ever swap in an SR when the RB, and I mean any of them, is literally a better option and can be done for close to the same price? If I'm going through the hassle of a swap the motor is going to be a stifling upgrade!!!

I don't want this to turn into a thread comparing RB's to whatever, or LS1's to anything. I was simply making the best point in this age old argument...why swap out the KA???

WD

GuSpeed

Wow! Thanks guys! I didn't think this would spark great conversation with people who are very well knowledge about cars.

I don't really care for which motor because they are all good. My 240sx has 160k with really good compression and I thought I could add a turbo kit to it for under $2,000, cheaper than SR swap, but my pricing when adding up seems higher than SR or other motor swaps.

I just want to be sure that the KA-T route is cheaper and yield the same power, than I'm happy and I can be sure to throw my money that way.

Thanks for the help!

S13FX
Car: '69 l20b Dimeski :)

Yay I even got flowers cause of this post I like this We need more SR KA posts

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I thought you might like those, Merry Christmas

GuSpeed

thanks!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Ultimately right now SR's are better suited for the highest HP applications. There is simply more support for it. For the SR swaps, yes, it can be cheaper to swap in an SR, but what do you get? A turbo motor yes. But a turbo poorly suited to get into moderate to high HP levels. Most KA turbo kits will yield more potential out of their kits as long as you can get the proper amount of fuel and adjust timing accordingly, as they tend to run T4 compressor sections with a T3 or T4 turbine.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I turboed my friends car for under $1500. He has a used mani,turbo, fmic, and bov. Made him buy a brand new Tial wastegate, and a safc II. If he would of went with a new turbo or wanted to be over 10psi you factor in another 500 for either for supporting mods, whether it be a btm, fuel injectors, emanage, the list goes on.KA-T out of the box will give you more power at the same price(usually going to be cheaper even with new parts) But if you get into the engine and start building then the engine prices will beocme the same, so you ask yourself If you want Torque or RPM

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

The biggest question is how much messing around you want to do. An SR swap is going to be much more straight forward with all the aftermarket support. A KA-T is more of a long term custome job.

If you are only looking for ~180HP or so, go with a good cam, header/exhaust and tune. By the time all the little stuff is added up, any turbo setup gets expensive.

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Torque whores go KA. Rev whores go SR. WDRacing, an SR swap is far cheaper than any RB swap in my opinion but while this topic is more useful than most (I had to delete the flame that I had made) it still frustrates me because there is no real reason why to do one over the other because any real horsepower will require rebuilds of both (but the SR internals are good for 400+ ). I am an SR guy and I really look at the KA-T as (dont anyone get angry and call me a brat) as the Wal Mart brand of engine swaps, its the cheaper, quicker alternative. But I feel that those who really know where power production is at go SR.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”