KA-T vs.sr20det

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
StreetDemon240sx

Ive been in love wit the 240sx for a long time. Im planning on gettin one soon. Ive been thinking though whats better KA-T or SR20DET. If i get a 240 with 110,000 miles or less i will redo the insides and turbo it later like get new pistons, rods, bore and port and polish. guys think that will hold a t3/t04e turbo. If not i think i will just get a NX wet nitrous kit and run high 12's and get other basic mods like exhaust, headers, cold air intake, redo the intake manifold. Do u guys think i can redo most of the insides wit $1500 bucks without labor.

Aother question, In PDM racinging webite, are all there prices listed in Canadian dollars or American.

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

I rebuilt my CA for under 1,000 with fordged slugs, beampolished and shotpeined rods, new oil and water pump, all new nuts and bolts, and a metal headgasket.

Labor (I did the assembly myself) would have been like 500 for the machine work so I say it would be easy to do that, heck you might even get a good deal on pistons and rods and do it all.

PaulOrlando, FL

Ceptos
Car: 95 240sx

110K does seem like a lot for a turbo, but if you are rebuilding the engine like you said it shouldnt be a problem

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Depends on what kind of internals you are getting. Most likely you wont get much done for $1500 except Rod and Pistons which were about $1500 for mine. The rest of the machine work and everything on my signature, im about double that right now.

And...NAAAAWWWSSSS is cheap unless your already in the 12's and want to go 11's!

NO NAAAAWWWWSSS!

Rick

technoman
Car: puss

Im just going to use a 2mill steal head gasket to lower compresion to 8.5.1 on stock internals. this will cost me 300 dollars verses 1500 dollars. I have owned my 240 from day one it now has 62000 miles I have used castrol sentec from day one so I know my rings are good I did a compresion test all four came out even. With a steal gasket I can push boost to 15psi no problem. with the right fuel mixtue I will just keep the rev limmiter at a safe 6400rpm's Im thinking I can put together a tubo kit out of used parts for no more than 1500 dollars. "Hopefully" this will give me a nice 300hp everyday driver. Hell 260Hp would be fun. If I lose a ring I will then rebuild.

BinaryVertigo

95_240sx

when you put the rods and pistons in your car...did you have to do any machine work? or did it just drop in and bolt on. As far as the crank goes...do you think i'll be able to just take it to a machine shop, have it balanced and micropolished and then take it home and install it in my block? or would they need the whole block? thanks

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Technoman, save your money and do it right, when you start gerry rigging stuff is when you start breaking stuff.

BinaryVertigo: No, we got the rods from Crower, withing specs to allow for a certain size of main bearing, which was dependent on the crank. In other words theres no machining required, and the fact that nissan makes like 15 different sizes of main bearings for the Ka24DE helps out alot too. As far as the pistons go, same thing, however, we will be honing the cylinders to allows the rings to have a good surface to sit on. As far as your crank, I dont know the situation on it, mine was out of a rebuilt engine with 50k original miles on it so it was extremely in spec. Always be sure to get it magnafluxed to make sure you dont have any cracks in it or anything. It would probably be wise to have a machine shop do it for you, in case there is more machine work to be done.

Rick

Matthew

You should ALWAYS hone the cylinders when seating new piston rings, regardless of how many miles. The cost of this should be factored into any rebuild, no matter how small your budget is.

BinaryVertigo

how much would it usually cost for honing, magnafluxing, shotpeening...etc?

i hate to bother you guys but i just dont want the machine shops to throw random numbers at me...i want to be sure for what i'm paying for...any help is appreciated

thanks all-demitri

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”