ka-t > sr20 $ wise?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Tangerine Sky

So heres the deal, ive known about boosting the KA for a while, hell theres even one in my town. I always thought it was a waste of time and sr20 swapping would just be cheaper and easier, but im hearing otherwise. Would totally rebuilding a KA for boost AND getting tuning be better built and cheaper then an sr swap? honest opinions please.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

If you are rebuilding a KA and getting high end turbo parts, then it probably wouldn't be cheaper.

If you are putting a "good' turbo kit together to put on a good condition stock KA, then it can be slightly cheaper.

If you are putting some ebay turbo kit on without a tune, etc, then it'll be much cheaper.

All about what you want to do.

Tangerine Sky

Sorry forgot to put up my goals... 350 wheel. The motor already has blown rings, just for one problem with it.

Razi
Car: Moo

Well if your goal is 350 hp, for an SR you'll have to spend about 2-3k just to get the motor itself, then another wad of cash to get the parts that'll push it to 350hp.
For the KA, that 2-3k you would've spent to buy an SR, you'll spend it to build your KA to 350hp.

Tangerine Sky

Razi wrote:Well if your goal is 350 hp, for an SR you'll have to spend about 2-3k just to get the motor itself, then another wad of cash to get the parts that'll push it to 350hp.
For the KA, that 2-3k you would've spent to buy an SR, you'll spend it to build your KA to 350hp.
So you think it would be a smart choice to stay KA? i have no idea how bad the motor is, but im sure the block will still be fine.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

The thing that hurts your decision is that you want the 350whp (at least I assume you mean whp). That is about the point where the internals of the KA need to be upgraded. If you want 300whp (or 330 or so crank hp) then you just buy a good used KA instead of rebuilding, much cheaper.

Tangerine Sky

biggie wrote:The thing that hurts your decision is that you want the 350whp (at least I assume you mean whp). That is about the point where the internals of the KA need to be upgraded. If you want 300whp (or 330 or so crank hp) then you just buy a good used KA instead of rebuilding, much cheaper.
the car needs to be reliable.. i honestly cant see a KA lasting very long with 300whp on stock internals.

neverlift

then you need to read more...

People have made 300 on stock motors for years without any sort of issue. I had a 150 motor last over a year at 300ish, from 7 to 25psi daily on 12 and ran 18 for a week. The one day randomly it gave out with a nasty tap and no oil pressure, too bad that day was light.

Point is a ka can make 500 on stock internals tuning is where I would spend the biggest chunk of change. Ebay is fine, dont use their turbos tho(well nelson can give you some incite on the turbos)..mani,bov,wg,FMIC,pipes,couplers,clamps,radiator... choose wisely. Chances are your not going to need 300whp daily.

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

Im actually going KA-T instead of SR with stock motor. price all depends on what you choose to buy. Money i spent buying Turbo parts i should of went Sr20 but if i blow my motor , Ka24de are dime a dozen.

neverlift

if you want what an sr can deliver stock and be reliable its very simple. 7:1 fmu walbro retard 4* run premium enjoy spending under a grand to have more... come on guys

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”