.......KA swap tips for a 510........

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
fiveNdime
Car: 1970 Datsun 510, 1973 240Z

First I would like to say thank you for putting a KA into your 510, belive me my dad has one already finished and I Love driving it It has awsome power and for a little extra money and a turbo you can smoke the SR fans and still be under there budget doing so. FOR THE TIPS, just let me know. I am currently doing my own 510 KA swap so shoot me a question on wiring, motor mounting, tranny mounting, vacume, emissions removal etc. I have one good tip though. You can use your old alternator on the KA motor! If interested I can tell you or show you a pic!

JoeyP.S. I can build you a custom front crossmember cheaper then you can find one online, no ! I use your crossmember and modify it accordingly. let me know if your interested, I can send you a pic as well!

Endoe

wow...that is awsome..if everything goes well...i will be getting a 72 510 with a blown engine...i'll be throwing a 91 240sx twin cam in it and turbo charging it later...so i will need all your help...

revenga510
Car: 1972 datsun 510

I am doing a Ka swap in my 510 but need help finding the tranny mount from a 280z. do you have any idea where i can get one. I could also use any tips or diagrams you have to remove the emission controls.

mesojdm

KA's are nice because they are cheep and readily available. I myself prefer to go the wild route with a built SR

ActionHotdogGo!
Car: 1968 Datsun 510

In your opinion, what is the best/easiest route for wiring the KA?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

ActionHotdogGo! wrote:In your opinion, what is the best/easiest route for wiring the KA?
megasquirt

and for the 280Z trans mount, the mounts were the same on all 240z, 260z, 280z and 280zx so you got 13 years of Z's to choose from

frankenstein510
Car: 1969 Datsun 510 Wagon, 68' Wagon, 71' 2 door

Dude, I would be extremely grateful if I could get a few tips from you. I'm doimg a KA swap in a 69' wagon, What's the bes fix for the front cross-member and engine mounts? I can fab Almost whatever I need. Just not sure exactly what i need to start with. Also for whats the best method for fuel delivery. I have the stock 240sx fuel assy. Can I use it?? I haven't even looked @ Vaccum hoses or wiring yet. but that is coming as soon asthe eng. is mounted. currently in the car hanging from hoist, with front and rear cross members removed.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.sincerly James RoggeP.S. I dont have regular web access, but if you don't mind calling i'll reimburse any cost accumulated.reply and I'll provide the number.

frankenstein510
Car: 1969 Datsun 510 Wagon, 68' Wagon, 71' 2 door

HELP! KA swap @ a stand still. I m stuck on front cross member, im not sure how to modify for KA. im Not sure how far back to set the engine. Could anyone help??

oregondime
Car: 1971 datsun 510 ka24de powered

frankenstein510 wrote:HELP! KA swap @ a stand still. I m stuck on front cross member, im not sure how to modify for KA. im Not sure how far back to set the engine. Could anyone help??
you cut out and flip the control arm pivot holes, and cut and flip the motor mounts, thus a reversed crossmember.. doesnt matter how far you set the motor back as long as you can still install your heater hoses and radiator..

oregondime
Car: 1971 datsun 510 ka24de powered

and as far as fuel delivery, couple options, inline fuel pump, make a sump or a install a surge tank with a pump, or take the entire tank from a 240sx and your 510 tank, cut out around the 240sx fuel pump sheetmetal and transplant it carefully welding it to your 510 tank and sealing it.. you can keep your stock fuel lines and rail and all, just get a 300zx fuel filter hook up the fuel lines and the return and your good. wiring your own on your own.

Yellou
Car: `69 Datsun 510

oregondime wrote:
you cut out and flip the control arm pivot holes, and cut and flip the motor mounts, thus a reversed crossmember.. doesnt matter how far you set the motor back as long as you can still install your heater hoses and radiator..
Actually you do one or the other. Cutting the center section flipping and rewelding it is the prefered method. The motor mounts actually do not change position if you flip ther center section, but do if you remove the pivots and reverse them. Either way no motor mount mods are required unless your going to use the SR or KA original rubber insulators.

NM50
Car: 94 D21,98 03 hummer H2,66 311 CA18ET ROADSTER,94GEO METRO pimp mobile

I REMEMBER THIS PAIN.YOU MUST DRILL THE CROSSMEMBER TO ATTACH THE CONTROL ARMS.I USED AN ALTIMA PAN/PUMP TIMING COVER SINCE ITS FRONT SUMPED.HARD WORK BUT HUGE PAYOFF.

ace0073
Car: 1969 datsun 510

personally, i fabbed a 6qt. oil pan so that i wouldnt have to alter the front suspension and i could keep my front sway bar. I know they are making sway bars now for the reversed crossmember, but the oil pan fab ended up being slightly cheaper than the crossmember flip and tubular sway bar prices combined. i guess whatever floats your boat. if you are interested i could make you one. email me if you are interested or if u have any questions...id be glad to help. [email protected]. also, i could remove all the pesky emissions crap too.

KApwr'd510
Car: KA24DE powered 510 wagon

I fabbed up my oil pan as well. Did all the fab work with manilla folders. Pretty easy and like ace0073 said cost efficeint.

traitorjacknif
Car: 71 Datsun 510

NM50 wrote:I REMEMBER THIS PAIN.YOU MUST DRILL THE CROSSMEMBER TO ATTACH THE CONTROL ARMS.I USED AN ALTIMA PAN/PUMP TIMING COVER SINCE ITS FRONT SUMPED.HARD WORK BUT HUGE PAYOFF.
So using the altima front cover and pan allows you to use the stock crossmemeber?

Turbo 510

Cut and flip the center section. Despite all the words to the contrary, it is pretty easy. Just tack some braces to the motor mounts and bottom to keep everything where it should be and fire up the plasma cutter. Flip the center section around and weld. Takes about half an hour.

yellowcar

I am doing a KA swap and am going to build a new pan I would rather do this then cut up a stock crossmember. That way I can always go back to an L motor to go racing. A pan is really about the same amount of work as flipping the crossmember.

xyzalvarez

any pics related to the oil pan?i would to keep the crossmember at the same position...

what should i look for the oil pan to be modified? any template to follow?

about the emissions stuff, can i keep using the oem ecu? or should i get a piggyback? whats the megasquirt system?

sorry for many ??? but im kind of alone in this...

dc2cw
Car: 89 s13 sr20det b**** green and silver

what aftermarket header can i use in my 510 with a ka24de?

yellowcar

I would recommend starting with a 240 header and modifying it. or just build one from scratch.

h-eater240

i have a 98 se, with ka-t setup. it's putting down 280 and 280 on the dyno on 15 lbs. I really am tired of the attention the car gets sometimes, well also thanks to the ssqv bov. but, i am trying to find a 510, preferrably the coupe, or 2 dr hatch, anyone know where i can get one. i am willing to drive. thanks guys. I plan on swapping everything out of my 240 into the datsun. Should be pretty fun if everything fits smoothly.

[email protected]: JUICEBOXspin

808NISSANNUT
Car: (Current)1972 dastun 510 wagon, 93 Nissan hardbody...... (previous) 89 240sx,93 240sx, 95,240sx,2004 frontier,88 hb,92 hb

ALOHA

I was posting in the hopes of getting some insite/advice on my 72 510 wagon ka conversion.
Im new to the datsun scene but have been around nissans and swaping motors in and outa them since  around 98 and have just about every piece of equipment and or tool needed for the job as i am a mechanic for my daily job and have full access to my works shop and equipment.....

I know that most people use either the single or dual cam version out of the s13's & s14's and either get an aftermarket cross member or mod the stock one due to the fact that the ka's from the 240 have a front sump oil pan.

I however came across a complete nissan  92 hardbody running with ac and driveable for $200 on craigslist, and since i own a 93 hb for my daily driver i picked it up and stripped it down putting the ac in my truck and keeping the complete ka w/trans and body harness for my 510 conversion

once i pulled the motor from the hardbody i noticed that the truck version has a rear sump oil pan and is shaped almost exactly like the l-series and nap-z blocks
so basically my question is since i am using the rear sump pan from a truck should i not have any oil pan cross member issues and just have to worry about moding the motor mounts to get the motor to sit where i want it?

Ni$$@n240
Car: Currently 1995 S14 Se

I hate to see this thread go dead like this. Someone needs to make a sticky on this topic. If you want to spend the money you can check out datsport.com but I want to know the backyard way :bigthumb:
808nissannut If your 92 or whatever has a ka with a rear sump pan then YES most likely just engine mount issues.

kyushakai

Not sure if 808Nissannut is still on here. On Craigslist here in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure it is him who listed his wagon for sale.

However, I really don't want to see this thread die, as I'm looking to swap either a KA or SR into my wagon.

Datsport is way too pricey for me, although I may have to bite the bullet and buy some stuff from them.

Dannyboy510
Car: 1972 510

Hey I'm a new 510 owner looking into a KA swap on my 72 4 door any advice is more than welcomed.

P.S.
Happy New Year 2014

ThatDude
Car: 1972 Datsun 510 4 door

Could i get your info incase i want to have you do my crossmember?

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”