Ka runs for 5 seconds!!!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
blake110491
Car: S14

This is a stock s14 motor in a s13 so s13 ecu,dizzy,tps and wiring harness.
Its throwing a 14 (Camshaft position sensor circuit), 34 (Knock sensor circuit), and now 14 (Vehicle speed sensor circuit) was throwing a coolant temp sensor code last night.

Car ran perfect till i took the timing chain guide out then manually cranked it to set the tension and cleaned the entire intake manifold/ delete egr also needed to swap throttle bodies since mine was sticking really bad. Running like complete s*** and only runs for a few seconds around 500 rpms then dies off.runs a couple seconds longer with the pedal to the floor and it'll jump from 200-600 rpms not wanting to rev at all when pedal is depressed and timing is off or misfiring... timing is set correctly tdc with cams facing outwards and rotor on cylinder 1, tried clocking the dizzy in either direction and got no difference.Never had a ka do this before and has me stumped :/

Just for the hell of it i started to disconnect sensors only sensor that mad a difference was cam position sensor which effected starting (didn't start). The maf,knock,tps and sub harness to intake sensors made no apparent difference be unplugged

Tps sensor
(5.33v) to pin c on tps
continuity with pin a
(1.79ohms) throttle closed (8.20ohms) throttle fully open
continuity from pin (A) connector to pin 29 on ecu connector
pin 29 and 31 (.3ohms)
f26 connector [efi sub harness blk wire] to pin 29 (.6 ohms)

tamez10
Car: Mitsubishi EVO 8
Nissan 240SX 1990 + SR20DET
Mitsubishi Ralliart 2005
Toyota 4Runner

TPS 1.79 ohms???? should read 2 - 10 Kohms ..if you meant kilo then sorry for misunderstanding that point hehe.
If you saw ohms, TPS is shooted. Be careful with S14's TPS since it has 2 female connectors. the one below is the correct.

EDIT: When you removed the chain tensioner intake side (btw it is needed if you removed it and didn't install it again hehe), did you inspected the correct timing, like 9 intake and 3 exhaust at the clock when at 2nd crank pulley mark? you might be off a tooth also.

Running ka24de engine from late S14 with ka24de from S13 distributor had something to tweak if I remember correctly.

If it works as knowledge, a friend and me turboed his Sentra ga16de and found out that injector pulse has to do with cam timing. If cam timing was retarded, his injection pulse was reduced. Might be that??

Well do diagnoses or CEL check for codes.
Turn in the Idle screw to let more air and see if car doesn't die anymore.
If you have a vacuum gauge, connect it and see that vacuum exists after Throttle body. Might have vacuum leak and cylinder mix is getting very rich.
Check battery voltage, aim for 13+ V. if not alternator might have problems.
Remove MAF and see if it doesn't die. Maybe a bad MAF.
Check for carbon/oil build up on cas sensor disc and sensor and clean it. That might confuse computer since it uses an optical sensor for CAS.
Check coil wires resistance 7K ohms the shortest cylinder one to 10K cylinder 4. 2 and 3 must read numbers between those.
Try to remove all except 1 coil wire and see if it that coil and spark plug fires. do it for all 4. See if all of them are getting spark. Also check if the connectors of the injectors are secured. Happened to me once that I had engine shake, found that injector 4 harness was not fully inserted thus had no fuel injection.
If you replaced recently the spark plugs, see if one of them is not shorted. Happened us that installing a spark plug it hitted somewhere and the gap was closed to 0.

and good luck solving that. =)

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”