ka in 720 a saved old post from msn forum

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
tims720
Car: 720 nissan

quoting tloof...

"In order to bolt the KA24DE into a 720 you will first need to make up a wood jig by bolting a 2x4 to the stock Z24 engine block oil pan mating surface. To do this drill holes into this 2x4 to bolt it up to the oil pan bolt holes in the Z24 engine block that match up with the same ones that the KA24DE block has (please note that the KA24DE has half as many oil pan bolt holes in it as the Z24, but the ones it does have match the same bolt pattern as the Z24, so you will need to carefully choose which holes to mount the 2x4 to because you will need to bolt this 2x4 jig up to the KA24DE engine block later). Next cut and attach two triangular shaped 1x4's on each side of the 2x4 (four total required) so that the stock 720 rubber mounts will bolt up to a 1x4 that is nailed across these triangular cut 1x4's (the 1x4's required for this will be cut into a triangular shape in order to match the same angle that the stock Z24 engine mount is oriented at). The best way to do this is to first bolt the stock 720 rubber mounts up to the stock 720 steel engine mounts on the Z24 block itself, and then bolt a 1x4 on to each rubber mount (both left & right side mounts). Then cut and mount the triangular shaped 1x4's to mate up to each 1x4 that is bolted to the installed rubber mounts and to the 2x4 that is bolted to the engine block oil pan surface. After this has been done, transfer this wooden jig over to the KA24DE engine (using the same bolt hole locations that this jig was bolted up to on the original Z24 block) with only the stock 720 rubber mounts attached to it. After this has been done then cut and trim some 240SX steel engine block mounts (the 240SX steel mounts are best to use for a 720 conversion...Hardbody steel mounts will not work as well for positioning) so that they will bolt up the the KA24DE engine block and still allow a 1/4" steel plate to be slide between the rubber mounts and these cut 240SX steel mounts (you will need to predrill the 1/4" steel plates so that the 720 rubber mounts will bolt-up to them and allow the locating dowel on the rubber mounts to fit into them). The next step is to weld on the 1/4" plates to the cut 240SX steel mounts in the exact spot that the jig is holding the rubber mounts in (with the steel plates bolted to the rubber mounts). This will position the KA24DE engine block in exactly the same position as the stock Z24 engine block was located, which then keeps the 720's original transmission in it's stock position within the 720 chassis. By doing this, NO chassis modifications of any sort are required on the 720 to fit the KA24DE engine into it. You can even use your existing radiator and cooling fan shroud in this conversion, as it is perfect for use with the KA24DE! (the water pump & clutch fan are located on the KA24DE in the same spot as the original Z24 engine).Hope the above instructions help you out!!"Hey Nautihunter, The '82 2.2L Z22 engine was only good for 94 hp stock from the factory in new condition (a high mileage one is probably only good for about 80 hp). The SOHC KA24E engine is good for about 140-150 hp, and the DOHC KA24DE is good for 155-165 hp (or double the power that the old junky Z22 puts out). I don't really know what the torque rating of these engines are, but I can tell you that they are signifinantly greater than the original engine. Is it worth the effort to swap...you damn right it is, and it literally transforms the 720 into a great performing vehicle (it's what the truck needed all along!!). It also will EASILY pass the emmisions requirements of California since it is a more modern port fuel injected engine vs the carbureted type that the Z22 & Z24's were.I am planning to finally do this swap, tloof (or anyone that really knows their stuff), correct me if im wrong, but can i put a 98 frontier block and head (no 240SX cams, just to keep it simple) with a 95-98 240SX intake manifold with the harness and ECU of a 91-94 240SX and a fuel tank of the rare 86 720 FI with the pump of a 200SX (is it possible to use the pump from one of those 86 720's?). Im sorry tloof for asking the same question that u have answered a million times, but every time i read posts, i get more confused and from what i've been able to understand, this is a possible set up. If it is, this will be the set up that I will go with.Hey Nissan720ST, I never did answer your post since I haven't been on this site for quite a while, but yes using a Frontier block & head with '95-'98 240SX intake manifold and '91-'94 240SX ECU & harness is perfect for the 720 swap. (use the '91-'94 240SX exhaust manifold though). If you can find one of the rare '86 tank from a FI model then you will have a great setup that will avoid having to install a fuel reservoir. You will NOT be able to use the '86 model FI pump though because it is only a 15 psig pump. Get the fuel pump frame bracket from that same '86 model though to mount the 200SX pump into the same location on the frame of your 720. Good luck on your swap!!I now have about 145-150 hp with the KA24E conversion in my 720 pickup. The old Z24 was rated at a whimpy 104 hp from the factory, and most highly modified Z24's are lucky to make more than 125-130 hp tops! The KA24E/DE series of EFI engines are the only way to go in the 720 if you stick with a 4 cyl engine. They also get slightly better fuel economy than the original engine, but only if you have a light foot on the throttle...something I just can't seem to do!!HeeHee (the increased power of the KA24E will eat more fuel if used heavily alot). Still, the 720 really comes alive with 150 hp under the hood (180+ hp would be even better yet, but that is really only possible with a highly modified twin cam KA24DE engine...exactly what I plan to swap into my 720 next!). In order to bolt the KA24E into my 720 I made a wood jig by bolting it to the stock Z24 engine so that the stock 720 rubber mounts would bolt up to it. I then transfered this wooden jig over to the KA24E engine and cut some 240SX steel engine block mounts so they would fit up the the KA24E engine while allowing a 1/4" steel plate to be welded on to each of them such that the stock 720 rubber mounts would mate up to them. This positions the KA24E engine block in exactly the same position as the stock Z24 engine block is located, which then keeps the 720's original transmission in it's stock position within the 720 chassis. By doing this, NO chassis modifications of any sort are required on the 720 to fit the KA24E engine into the 720. You can even use your existing radiator and cooling fan shroud in this conversion, as it is perfect for it! The only real modifications required for this engine swap involves the accessory support systems. You will have to relocate the AC accumulator in front of the battery (use a smaller aftermarket one for this) in order to liberate room on the passenger side fenderwell for locating the remote power steering reservoir, remote fuel reservoir, and exterior high pressure fuel pump that is required by the KA24E engine. This will force you to have custom power steering & AC hoses made in order to mate up to the KA24E's power steering pump & AC compressor (you can reuse your stock Z24 AC compressor, but in either case you will still have to use the original Z24 AC comp bracket to get the AC comp to clear the 720's steering box and make custom hoses to fit within the engine well area). The worst part of this conversion is the wiring mods required to get the engine wiring harness to interface with the 720's stock body wiring (those mods require the most amount of labor time to complete on this conversion!).Yes, You can run the KA engine harness separate from the 720's wiring by using the 240SX engine harness. It is a stand-alone engine harness that plugs into the 240SX's body harness. Simply cut off the mating body side connectors with as much wiring attached to them off the 240SX that you get the engine harness from, and use those mating connectors to wire separately into the 720 for the functions required. Be sure you also get the 240SX's ECCS relay (this contols power to the ECM & fuel injectors) with wiring & fuel pump relay with wiring to help out for connecting up to the 720's stock wiring. It's not too bad actually, just a bit tedious!Oh, I forgot, yes you do have to upgrade to a high pressure fuel pump. Actually the best way to do such is install a custom remote fuel reservoir on the passenger side fender panel that your stock low pressure 720 fuel pump feeds into. Then install an external high pressure fuel pump from a '81-'82 Nissan 200SX below the reservoir on the fender panel so that fuel can gravity flow down to it from the reservoir. The high pressure pump will then feed fuel to the KA's fuel rail, and recirculated fuel from the fuel rail will come back to the fuel reservoir. A fourth connection towards the top of the reservoir will then feed excess fuel back to the stock 720 fuel tank. By the way, you would have to be out of your mind NOT to run a power steering system, and especially an AC system. No woman in the world will want to ride with you in the summer without AC!!!!Yeah, I did mention in a previous post in one of the other forums that if you can find one of the extremely rare '86 model Z24I TBI injected 720 fuel tanks, then the remote fuel reservoir won't be necessary because those tanks have an internal slosh reservoir in them. The problem is they are really tough to find undamaged, but are an excellent way to go if you can. You will still need to change out the stock 720 low pressure fuel pump with a high pressure external '81-'82 200SX fuel pump, but it can be mounted in the same location on the passenger side frame rail by the fuel tank, as the original pump. Keep in mind that the 240SX ECU will have to have the fuel pump relay activation circuit wired thru the stock 720 fuel pump module if you go that route in order to maintain the roll over fuel shutoff protection that it has for safety. Chilli, just e-mail me your address and I will send you a hard copy of the wiring diagram if you want one you can really read. It seems that the scanner didn't really copy it over digitally very well. I can also send you a direct e-mail copy that you should be able to enlarge on the computer screen in order to read it. Just give me your e-mail address.Rear wheel drive KA24E's come in the '90-'97 Hardbody trucks, and the '89-'90 240SX's (the 240SX variant engine block is slightly different than the Hardbody truck, but will work in a 720 swap as long as the oil pan & pickup from the truck version is swapped onto it). Front wheel drive KA24E's such as came in the Stanza, will NOT work at all in a 720 swap!Guam Guy, The 240SX KA24DE engine will NOT fit into the 720 chassis due to the fact that it has a front sump oil pan design that will interfere with the 720's steering shaft. Also, it is virtually impossible to modify the oil pan to a rear sump configuration since the oil pickup tube bolts on to the front timing chain cover, and not the engine block itself like the KA24E engines or the '98 up Frontier truck version of the KA24DE. You can't even swap a rear sump truck oil pan onto the 240SX KA24DE engine block because the timing chain cover/oil pan bolt pattern & shape are different, so that method won't work either! The ONLY KA24DE engine variant that will fit into the 720 chassis is the '98 up Frontier truck engine, as it is based off the truck block that has a rear sump oil pan. The twin cam head on the Frontier engine is exactly the same as the '95 up 240SX engines, but the block & timing chain cover are virtually the same as the single cam KA24E block (although the pistons are different, and there is a knock sensor boss on the Frontier KA24DE block). Using the 240SX cams & intake manifold on the Frontier KA24DE engine is advised in the 720 conversion for an additional 15 hp gain that it is good for. Now, as far as the single cam KA24E engines, both the Hardbody truck & the 240SX version will fit into a 720 as long as the rear sump truck oil pan & pickup is used on them (the KA24E 240SX block is slightly different from the truck version block, but the truck pan & pickup will bolt to it though). Keep in mind that ALL 240SX engines (both the KA24E & even the KA24DE) have the same transmission bolt pattern as the earlier Z series blocks & KA24 series truck blocks, with the exception that the 240SX blocks do have an extra bolt hole in the pattern (I suppose you could simply bolt up a truck transmission to the 240SX blocks by simply leaving that extra bolt out, but you would have to convert to a 240SX starter since it bolts in different with bolts that come thru from the transmission side instead of the engine side like all the truck blocks). Hope this clarifies alot of issues to all of you out there considering this swap! Joerc240sx, In answer to your questions: 1) The '98 240sx & all '98 up Frontier heads are the same since they have the same drilled bosses and cams with the sixth bearing eliminated (the rear most bearing). '95-'97 240sx heads also have the same drilled bossses as the frontier head, but they do have a sixth cam bearing at the end of the head. All of the '95-'98 240sx heads will bolt to a Frontier block and mate-up with it's timing chain cover. 2) While the '91-'94 240sx head will bolt to a Frontier block (or even the KA24e 240sx or KA24e Hardbody block), it will NOT fit up correctly with the Frontier timing chain cover because one of the mounting holes is in a slightly different position (why Nissan did that is still a mystery to me...the Morons!!). I suppose you could always weld up that one hole in the timing chain cover and then redrill a new one in the same position that the '91-'94 240sx head has it in order to use a '91-'94 240sx head with the Frontier timing chain cover. The only problem is, the twin bolt boss on the passenger side of the head that the Frontier's power steering bracket bolts to is milled down shorter than it is on the '95 up version heads, so you would have to add some shims in to get it to fit up correctly (just more problems to overcome, that's all!) 3) Yes, you can bolt any of the 240sx DE heads to a 240sx KA24e block (or even a Hardbody KA24e block), and then mount the Frontier timing chain cover along with either a Hardbody or Frontier oil pan & pick-up tube on it. Both the Hardbody & Frontier oil pans are identical, but take note that you will have to use a 2wd version KA oil pan for use with the 4wd 720 and then modify it to use the sump part from a 720 Z24 4x4 oil pan in order to get it to clear the front differential (the Hardbody & Frontier 4x4 trucks have the front differential offset to the drivers side of the engine, whereas a 720 has it mounted directly below it). 4) Note that when using the dual roller cam chain from a 240sx with a Frontier timing cover that you will need to get the bolt-on drive sprocket support bearing & drive sprocket from a '93-'97 Altima in order to avoid the distributor drive gear that the 240SX version has hitting the Frontier's top timing cover itself. You can also just use the single row chain that the Frontier's use as well to avoid that change. 5) No, you cannot use a Hardbody truck fuel tank in a 720. They are totally different in shape in every way and won't mount up at all (I know, I already tried that when I did my KA24e conversion in my 720...it's hopeless, the remote reservoir is the only way to go). 6) Yes, I have plenty of Frontier engine pictures of my KA24de conversion that I am working on right now for my own 720 (I am upgrading to the DE engine from the E version that is in it right now). These pictures show the mods required to get a 240sx intake manifold to work with the Frontier power steering pump system, and the ducting required for the remote mass air flow meter. It's alot of work, but nets about an 8 hp increase over the Frontier intake setup! Just send me an email address, and I will send them to you.Hey Nis720, Your SOHC 240SX intake manifold looks way better than mine does since I didn't paint mine! Ha I do have a suggestion for you on your KAe swap. When I did mine I found it was best to just totally eliminate the steel vacuum lines off the intake manifold and also the rear mounted plate with the solenoid valves since there is very little room between the rear of the head and the firewall. You will also want to eliminate the entire EGR system and PAIRC system as well, since they are not necessary for passing any emission tests with such an old vehicle like the 720. Since you also eliminated the SCV system all you will need to do is relocate and use two of the solenoids for the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) function for increasing fuel pressure at start-up of engine, and the EGR/Purge solenoid for activating the carbon canister purge function (this is still required even though the EGR system will be removed). I located the FPR solenoid on the outside of the lower manifold where the plenum bolts up on a custom L bracket that I made, and I located the EGR/Purge solenoid over on the drivers side fender well since it would be close to the carbon canister and thus simplified the vacuum tubing required (you will have to extend the wiring for it over to that location if you do the same). All of the vacuum tubing for such an arrangement is much simpler and less cluttered if you do the same as I did. It would appear to me that you made your adapter motor mounts the hard way instead of following my detailed instructions on how to make them to perfectly position the KAe engine into the 720. Go back and search the engine swapping threads to see what I am talking about. You wouldn't have even had to install the KA engine into the 720 engine well at all if you had followed my recommendation of how to make them. You also wouldn't have had to cut off the stock 720 frame mount. My method also uses the stock 720 rubber mounts as well. Only a set of 240SX steel block mounts are used that are cut and a simple 1/4" steel plate welded to the two ears of the 240SX mounts to allow the 720 rubber mounts to bolt-on to them and in turn up to the stock 720 frame mount. Oh well, you made alot of extra work for yourself... TLoof

pejsa s-13
Car: 91 HardBody, 85 720

wow no one is goint to read all of that paraphrase please

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

That's a ;ot of info. Took me two days of reading for it to sink in but it will help a lot of us doing swaps.

Return to “Datsun 720”