KA engines not able to handle turbos?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Dopecrew1
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and thanks for all the help in my journey of going KA-T. After 8 long months, a lot of money, and countless hours, my new fully built KA-T is almost ready for first start. I was recently talking to a local dyno that specializes in nissans and the like, preparing for the future. When I told them my build, the atmosphere shifted from excitement to concern, and was told an interesting bit of information. This shop apparently was helping to develop the tomei turbo kit for the KA, and what they discovered was that the KA simply cannot maintain oil pressure in a turbocharged application due to the passages in the block, and will almost always spin a bearing because of this, or suffer some other catastrophic failure. They attempted multiple fixes with tomei, up to overboring the factory oil passages in the KA block, which they found to be impossible due to their proximity to coolant passages, among other things, and found the only way to RELIABLY run a turbo on a KA motor was with a dry sump, which is why tomei no longer makes the kit for the KA. Anyone ever heard anything about this? Im about 19k deep in my build and if I knew this I would’ve just went with an SR swap lol. They said they were making around 600 WHP with those builds before they failed though, and I’m probably gonna stick around 310 at max, so maybe I’ll get lucky, or maybe this is all BS and my new race car won’t explode in 3 months. Thanks again for everything, I can’t tell you how many times I referenced this forum.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Hi,
Welcome aboard.
Tomei still makes KA kits.
https://www.tomeiusa.com/_2003web-catal ... _ka24.html
Who's your local dyno? I'm surprised Tomei would work with anyone in the US on the kit but who knows.
I imagine KAs could have issues with oiling at really really high RPMs, but then again they'd have problems with a lot of things at really high RPMs.
There's plenty of KA turbos running around that have been spooling happily for years (myself included). At 310 hp, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”