Jx35 overheating tranny/solution

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Doan28
Car: Infiniti jx35 2013

Hey guys i have a 2013 jx35, driving on on the highway on the weekend i feelt like the tranny lost power and would not let me go over 3000 rpms, car worked fine and got to our destination, i called my friend the manager at the nissan dealer (no infiniti where i live) and he suggested to drive back slowly and take it in monday. I did and they checked it and said the transmition overheared and got into "safe mode" and said those cars had a problem of over heating when the weather was hot (it was that day) and the guy at the service said my car has no warranty and usualy the fix is just to put a new transmission, which i dont need because once the car cooled down it works fine now, they are going to change the tranny oil while is there but the service guy said that there is an off the market solution that some nissan/infiniti owners have done and is just add an auxiliary cooling system, he said it was relatively simple just cut the line add a T and conect the new system, i dont want the over heating happening again and my wife absolutely loves her suv but I don't want to mess it up, do you guys know anything about this auxiliary system, how to do it for the jx or where to buy it? Any help is greatly appreciated since there is no way i can afford a new transmission.
Thanks

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Well if you are concerned about doing something wrong and messing something up, maybe consider taking it to a reputable shop that specializes in transmissions and have them install the auxiliary transmission cooler, probably would cost around $200 - $300 in parts and labor...

dgchurch
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35
2011 BMW 528i

Curious if the issue has surfaced again for you..

I've got a '13 JX with ~144K mi on it and this last week it has been between 105-110 F. I was thinking about your post while driving in this heat pretty extensively. Only thing I can tell you is that my car operated normally and RPM's weren't limited. I didn't mash the throttle but had it frequently over 3K....

Doan28
Car: Infiniti jx35 2013

thanks for the follow up, after that they did change the trany oil change and a "Service" (not sure what that included other than the oil change) and the car has worked perfect since, I took it to a shop that specializes in transmission and they said the cooler has big enough and it did not need an extra cooler, so far no problem since =)

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”