Just showing off my new (old) Rogue and what I've done

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
KCdriver
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hey everyone,
I recently inherited a 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD from my dad. 107,000 miles, grey (not sure what the official color name is).
Unfortunately, he passed before he got the chance to clean it up a little, so now I feel like I'm finishing his last project. I figured you all might be the only ones who understand why I'm obsessing over something like a Rogue, but I love it!

Here's what I've done so far:
-Got a proper key made (terrible knock off came with it).
-Found a replacement cover for the shift lock (it was missing)
-Replaced the fuse panel cover (it was missing)
-Rotors and pads all around
-New belt, oils, radiator flush, battery, plugs and all that good general maintenance.
-New tires - Goodyear Assurance All season (it had 4 different tires before)
-Replaced missing vent trim on the interior
-Replaced missing hubcaps
-Revived plastic trim with WipeNu
-Replaced rear left door switch
-New hose to the overflow reservoir (someone cut it in half and spliced it...)
-New high beam plug harness (old ones were frayed)
-Replaced both headlight housings that were yellowed and mismatched.
-Found a cover for the missing D/C socket plug in the dash.
-All interior lights are now blue LEDs
-WeatherTech floor liners in front, back, and cargo area.
-Found a replacement insert for the ignition knob.
-OEM crossbars
-Shorter antenna to accommodate cargo on top
-Painted the muffler with high temp spray because it was discolored and I hated seeing it.
-Fix AC leak
-New positive terminal connector (original was lose and would not tighten more)
-Repaired rear seat damage with magic mender kit
-Installed proclip phone mount and ran a cable through a drilled hole with rubber grommet.
-OEM nose mask (might be covering some damaged paint...
-Black pillar covers to hide damage
-Replaced a bunch of body clips in trim
-Fixed driver door handle (ball catch popped out)
-Installed used cargo shade
-Weathertech wind deflectors (found new in box on craigslist for a steal!)
-Replaced cracked steering wheel controls
-Sewed on a steering wheel cover

Things I still want to do:
-Pop out some door dings
-Polish and wax (when weather is more agreeable)
-Repair leather on driver's seat
-Clean rust on seat mounting bolts (shown in the last pic)
-Tint front windows
-General Interior detail

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

To clean it up?

Wow! After reading your list, my first impression was that your Rogue was in raggity condition, is that a word? Lol. Early morning from waking up just Web surfing.

Well raggity like those car seats. Seat transformation looks pretty amazing .

But I was pleasantly suprised the exterior looks great.

I can feel your passion and like to say you really did an awesome job doing those detailed tiny fixes.

Just writing that list took effort. Lolz. So thanks for posting.

I can tell your into details, cuz painting the muffler black with heat resistant paint was one of my first mods, I never like that silver bubble under the bumper. I love it now with it under the radar, that I 99.9% never notice it anymore. Was a peeve in the beginning.

I like using rust convertor on small spots on the underbody or anywhere I see rust. Just learned about vinegar cleaning too myself.

If you have money lying around, I would use a paintless dent repair guy on your baby if dents are that big.

Lucky you, my ball catch BROKE OFF! Dealership tried to charge me $600 for a broken motor thingy-ma-jig when the handle won't open. So I mcguyvered it by twisting the leftover wire in such a way that it works now. I tell my kids to exit the good door cuz I'm paranoid it will break. Worked for many years now so far! Knock on wood.

Also do the wire mesh mod on 4 bottom bumper holes to protect your radiator from pebbles and rocks. Also one of the first things I did.

I even wire meshed the holes beside the Nissan logo. It's silver on yours.
I'm detailed or obsess too lolz.

Maybe you did it, but since you didn't mention it on general maintenance.

Changing the pvc valve, cleaning the oxygen sensor, and use fuel/fuel injector cleaner. The latter since the gov't and my area forces us to use corn in our gas.

Eventually the rogue will get those dreaded lean bank codes.

Front and rear dash cams because drivers are crazy out there, I have 2 different models. But I have a Viofo 119 in the front and cheap WI fi preevio in the rear. I mod it in the rear by attaching to plastic panel so it does not need to attach to window.

I see that viofo now has a duel version.

I experimented with a dash cam is recording sticker in the rear, and 99.9% people give you a car length space behind you. Most huge 4×4 trucks NEVER up my tail. Don't know if it's cuz of the sticker.

Cops even give me space. Dash cam vs dash cam I guess, lolz.

I could see this since I have a high mount camera as a live view rear mirror.
3 live cameras actually. High, rear license mount( for backing up only or full time if you want), and rear kid cam(baby cam back in day.) Needed baby cam cuz I once tap car at stoplight trying to look at my baby. Kid cam now.

Thought of removing sticker because it's pink for best visibility, but I'll keep it for now.

Nose bra people are detail people. In beginning I thought they were great, but my lazy butt never removed it when it rained when I use to own a pearl glow maxima back in the day. And I garaged it too.

After a long time, it will ruin the paint job underneath. So avoid it getting wet.
Tinted license plate cover will compliment bra. I use one even though it's illegal. Back too. Pretty lucky with cops so far. My exterior is so busy looking I guess they don't care.

Back in day, I use old style where you had to sew thro holes to put steering wheel cover, you are detailed my friend! Thank god for steering wheel covers at Wal-Mart!

Update the radio and back up camera
Mine plays music videos on an SD card when I'm not streaming YouTube to the rear DVD headrest screens for the kids in the back from my iPhone.

Try to use top tier gas, every lit bit helps.

Had limo tint on top of oem. Summers are humid hot at times.
Sunstrip on top of front window if law allows it. Go to asm line.
It's legal in my area if you have lettering. After failing inspection twice and scratching my top area to hell removing twice! Well I had to have it so I got my tint guy to put tint over some strange lettering or symbol sticker I bought at pep boys and it passed ever since. Wierd law.

Since you garage it, a battery maintainer to keep your battery in tip top shape.
Especially if you have a lot if electronic gadgets or listen to radio with car not running occasionally. Less stress on alternator.

Rear & Front differential change. A must for awd. Of course cvt transmission drain and fill.

I did it 4 times in 2 months. Wanted it green as possible. Obsessed anyone?
I'm more ocd. =)

Funny thing is I like changing oil 15,000-20,000 miles. So not ocd?
Amosoil SS, so calm down people. Lolz. I'm good.

More decorative, get body colored moldings. Might clash with your silver ones, I don't have those. It kinda might look like the 3rd pic with that reflection it made. If your into that look.

I had 1 1/5 inch back in the day b4 got in an accident on 1 door and removed it all a few years ago, So I replaced it last year with 2 inch wide color coordinated side moldings.

Plastic dip side mirrors. It will even match the texture and look of the bottom black part. Protects paint and of course removable if you don't like it. Will compliment your rogue bra and vent visors.

Black towel on dashboard to reduce window glare, cheaper than buying custom carpet version. Works great 4 me.

Seat covers to keep clean, but that imitation leather looks comfortable. Uncovered is fine too.

Add rear spoiler.

If really ocd detailed, soundproof at least doors, kinda wanted too but too lazy.
Radio always on and doors sound pretty solid.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

Looks great so far. :mike

KCdriver

Fair enough, yes to clean it up 😊
Raggity is definitely a word! And befitting the state I found it in when I found it in the old man's garage. It wasn't past good use, but whoever owned it before never really took care of it...

Thanks for the encouragement, Casperfun. I've been reading a lot of what you've done with your rogue and I like it. I think we might be kindred spirits on the obsession over details... I've had so much to clean up on this vehicle that I haven't really dipped into the realm of mods much yet.

I've wanted to try adding a light bar that would mount on to the crossbar so it could be easily removed if needed. Haven't quite found the parts I need yet.
I think your bull bar looks great with your style, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for.

Changing the CVT fluid is on the list, but I think I'll leave it to professionals.

After winter I plan on getting some PDR done. It's nothing serious, but it will help the overall look.

Good call on the tinted plate cover, I wonder what regulations are in my area?

I was terrified that I would get the door apart and find the ball broken off. Lucked out for sure. It rained and then froze over, so it must have just expanded and knocked it loose.

Mesh Mod seems like a good idea. Have people had a lot of trouble with rocks damaging the radiator?

I've thought about changing the radio, but I don't want to lose the around-view camera functionality. That said I hate how dim and small the screen is...

Sound proofing the doors is next level OCD and I like it!

I've got the spoiler already, but I just realized you can't see it in the pics. I've thought about plasti-dipping the mirrors and the spoiler to match. Like you say, easy enough to remove if I don't like it!

Thanks for responding! Just wanted to share my excitement since my wife is probably sick of hearing about it lol.

Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Nice Job!

How much is your weathertech floor mat? Any place to find a good deal?

KCdriver

The weathertech mats are definitely pricey. The front set alone is $110 on their website. I shopped around for a while and couldn’t really find anyone who sold them cheaper.
I really love them though! I really don’t think there’s anything better. The sell an alternate style they call “all weather” (mine are the “floor liners”) that’s a little more reasonable but they don’t go up the sides like the liners.
I’ve seen some used ones come up on eBay but they weren’t much cheaper.
https://www.weathertech.com/nissan/2012/rogue/

trokita
Car: 2017.5 Rogue SL AWD Magnetic Black (Sold Sep2022)
2022 Lexus RX450H F-SPORT Cavier Black
2008 Rogue SL AWD Wicked Black
2005 Subaru WRX Limited Black

Great Job, I'm struggling to keep my '08 in tip top shape as it rains so much here. Waiting for the warmer weather!!

loomex
Car: 2011 nissan rogue

We just got a 2011 in December after my wife totaled our dodge Caravan.. The only thing I have been able to do to it is hard wire in my radar detector, dash cam and GPS. It has a gps in it, but was never updated and I am not paying to update it. Much easier and safer to glance at my gps than the one in the dash. Warm weather plans are to add LED strips as DRL's, replace the 12v socket in the dash with a dual USB socket for charging phones and a rear dash cam.

KCdriver

loomex wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 am
We just got a 2011 in December after my wife totaled our dodge Caravan.. The only thing I have been able to do to it is hard wire in my radar detector, dash cam and GPS. It has a gps in it, but was never updated and I am not paying to update it. Much easier and safer to glance at my gps than the one in the dash. Warm weather plans are to add LED strips as DRL's, replace the 12v socket in the dash with a dual USB socket for charging phones and a rear dash cam.
I dig the 12v conversion to usb! Seems like a simple and useful project. I’ve been considering a dash cam. What do you like? Was it difficult to hardwire in? I would feel the need to hardwire it. Are you able to remove it, or do you fear someone will try and steal it?

mybemore
Car: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder

Wow! Your Rogue looks very clean! Great job on that. For rust removal I used this product Evapo-Rust Original Super Safe Rust Remover, works like a charm. Regarding dents I just had local paintless dent repair company fix few dings on my truck and super happy with results. First time used this type of service and didn't know what to expect. And honestly beyond my expectations. If you are in DC area they are https://www.arsdentrepair.com

Return to “Rogue Forum”