Just Purchased 2017 QX50 Tech Loaded

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Bocatrip

I'm an Infiniti fan as I've owned a 2004 G35 Coupe for 11 years and Just traded in a 2006 G35 Sedan after 11 reliable years towards a 2017 QX50 with all the bells and whistles including every package available including Technology package and a number of accessories as well. I'm not looking forward to the redesigned QX50 and dislike the QX30. I'm trying to get the last of the reliable Infinitis before they cheapen them any more and move forward with more FWD cars as well as CVT transmissions..

themanfromvlad
Car: 2011 EX35

As long as you don't mind the fuel consumption (and it doesn't sound like you do!) you've chosen one of the most versatile and sexy SUVs on the road. It'll be a beauty for another decade.

I have been unimpressed with Infiniti's infotainment system and I'm interested to hear about your QX50. Is the 2017 any better than the last few years?

Bocatrip

themanfromvlad wrote:As long as you don't mind the fuel consumption (and it doesn't sound like you do!) you've chosen one of the most versatile and sexy SUVs on the road. It'll be a beauty for another decade.

I have been unimpressed with Infiniti's infotainment system and I'm interested to hear about your QX50. Is the 2017 any better than the last few years?
themanfromvlad......Thank you for your positive comments and reassurance.We are very much aware of gas mileage, but do very little driving each year.....probably 7,000-7500 miles per year. My other 2 cars are both V8s (Jaguar XK and Lexus LS430) so I'm used to poor gas mileage. With regards to the infotainment system, we have been living with the 2006 Nav for 11 years and feel it's fine even with that stupid joystick. No the resolution is not as crisp as other manufacturers. What our goal is....to obtain the closest to the bones of the proven Infinitis before they are all revamped to 4 cylinder turbos, FWD, and possibly CVT. Yes the technology is not competitive, but this car has the Tech package which I've been told works as well as the best of them for safety purposes. The platform is lengthened for a better ride experience, and is the same as the Q50 and 370Z. The extended warranty when necessary (before the 4 yr bumper to bumper runs out,) is extremely reasonable to cover the electronics, so keeping this car for a longer period of time is feasable. I hesitantly kept the 19s (although I could have swapped for the standard 18s at no charge) because my girl friend wanted them due to looks. I know we will only get between 15-20 Thou out of them before needing replacement and the ride is stiffer and noisier. I'm sure we can get used to that as well. I hope this car gives us as many trouble free miles as the 06 G35 sedan did after 87,000 miles! I'll cross my fingers. Picking up the car tomorrow.

Bocatrip

2nd day of ownership of 2017 QX50 with every option. Very tight car. Handles as well as my G35 Coupe and Sedan but quieter. Love the tech package and maple wood accents. I was concerned the 19s would make the car harsh riding but the stretched version of the QX50 absorbs the bumps well. Stops on a dime and steering is nice and tight due to Infiniti keeping hydraulic steering on this model instead of electric steering which most cars are getting. So far so good. I had a clear bra installed on the front bumper and all plastic accents to keep it clean. All my previous cars had the same. Great car so far but I only have 125 miles on her. I'm optimistic on this purchase. It's a G35 on Stilts.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Congrats Bocatrip. I just bought a 2008 EX35 (well, really for my daughter), having also been a longtime 2004 G35 Coupe owner, and I agree this car drives and handles much like the G35 on stilts. A thoroughly enjoyable car that has the added benefit of AWD for the Northeast winters here. Enjoy!

Bocatrip

sherwooa wrote:Congrats Bocatrip. I just bought a 2008 EX35 (well, really for my daughter), having also been a longtime 2004 G35 Coupe owner, and I agree this car drives and handles much like the G35 on stilts. A thoroughly enjoyable car that has the added benefit of AWD for the Northeast winters here. Enjoy!
Hey Sherwooa, Congrats to you as well. We are on the same page. My friend who has a 2008 EX35 told me today he has had no problems to speak of and he has owned the car from new! This is the very reason I purchased the 2017 QX50 which essentially is the EX35/EX37 with a stretched platform. I don't care all that much with the newest technology, but I do care about proven reliability. Good luck to you Sherwooa and Me too. Enjoy.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Bocatrip wrote:
sherwooa wrote:Congrats Bocatrip. I just bought a 2008 EX35 (well, really for my daughter), having also been a longtime 2004 G35 Coupe owner, and I agree this car drives and handles much like the G35 on stilts. A thoroughly enjoyable car that has the added benefit of AWD for the Northeast winters here. Enjoy!
Hey Sherwooa, Congrats to you as well. We are on the same page. My friend who has a 2008 EX35 told me today he has had no problems to speak of and he has owned the car from new! This is the very reason I purchased the 2017 QX50 which essentially is the EX35/EX37 with a stretched platform. I don't care all that much with the newest technology, but I do care about proven reliability. Good luck to you Sherwooa and Me too. Enjoy.
Amen. This one I just bought has 82K on the clock and the mechanic who did the pre-purchase inspection said it was in great shape, with no leaks, seepage, or anything. Those VQ's have been prety good to me over the years (have a 2011 Murano as well)!
As far as tech goes, I like the phone integration features of the newer cars, but with an Apple lightning adapter, this one does pretty much everything we need it to, and I don't need LDW, auto-braking, etc.

nate2011
Car: 2011 Garnet Red EX35 AWD Journey

Congrats on the new ride... sounds like a beauty. I love and agree with all your reasons to go with Infiniti & their current technology/power trains.
When I was looking a drove MB's GLA250 & the AMG version; the Audi Q3 & the S Model... all seemed like engines in a beer can compared to the 300+ hp Infiniti 6 cylinder... In the near 2 years of ownership I have been beyond pleased with the performance & reliability... even our dealer service has been exemplary.
Safe rides & continue to enjoy!

Bocatrip

nate2011 wrote:Congrats on the new ride... sounds like a beauty. I love and agree with all your reasons to go with Infiniti & their current technology/power trains.
When I was looking a drove MB's GLA250 & the AMG version; the Audi Q3 & the S Model... all seemed like engines in a beer can compared to the 300+ hp Infiniti 6 cylinder... In the near 2 years of ownership I have been beyond pleased with the performance & reliability... even our dealer service has been exemplary.
Safe rides & continue to enjoy!
Nate2011....I couldn't agree more. Many Auto manufacturers are cheapening their cars at a faster rate as MSRP prices keep rising. I hate 4 cylinder engines and even 8 cylinder engines for the very high end luxo brands may be gone in the near future as EPA regulations are taking place. Imagine driving a Lexus LS500 or and Audi A8 or BMW 7 series with a 6 cylinder engine???? I jumped on the band wagon with the proven EX/37/QX/50 series before it is discontinued as I would like to keep this car for at least 7 years. It is likely to be discontinued (as we know it) before the end of 2017. Cars are way too expensive and replacing them sooner is prohibitive. I can see the planned obsolescence creeping into the Infinti brand soon. I hope I'm right. Lets enjoy our proven cars!!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”