Just picked up 71 510, Have a question.

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
Eighty9s13

I recently picked up a 71 510, I also have a KA24DE sitting in the garage, I know the oil pan has to be cut to fit and converted to a rear sump...Right? Anyway. Does anyone have any measurments on where, and how much the pan has to be shortened/modded. Sorry if I made this confusing! Anyhelp will be appreciated!

Thanks!

TwoDoorDime
Car: 70 datsun 510 LOts of mods

well you can do a couple things to fit the ka into the dime. One and probably the prefered method is to cut the middle of the crossmember and turn it around and weld it. Also take the steering link out and cut and reverse then reweld so they go back instead of forward. The second way is the oil pan way basically what u need to do is make the oil pan a rear sump oil pan instead of front sump from what i have heard this is a LOT more work. Also on the ka24de swap the stock 02 sensor needs to be relocated because it hits the steering box. If u want more info love to talk 510's aim me at TwoDoorDime

TwoDoorDime

and oviously due to the mods of the oil pan the pickup tube needs to modded

TwoDoorDime

haha i also forgot if u mod the crossmember and the steering link (easiest and most popular way) you will need a custom sway bar

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

you know......theres a MUCH better way to reverse the front crossmember than to cut the middle section out!

what you do, is take out the pins the control arms bolt on to, and you'll notice that they are tappered.so what you do, is cut that tapered tube out, turn it around......and weld it back in.make sure you make SURE, that it is welded back in, in the same place it was in before, or you'll screw up you suspension geometry.then you just bolt the crossmember back into the car backwards ( you'll need to slot a 2 of the mounting holes a little ).

Thats the way most people do it in Australia and NZ......you americans do some strange things.....lol

KApwr'd510
Car: KA24DE powered 510 wagon

Modifying the oil pan is not that difficult. All you need to do is cut the original pan about one inch from the top. Mock up what you want the pan to look like with manilla folders. Cut your sheet metal to match. Weld it up and cover the inside with por-15 for insurance against leaks. Get a pick up tube from a truck or pathfinder (VG-30) and modify it as it is really long. The VG-30 has a deep sump. Bolt it on and then if you decide to go with another engine or back to a stocker (ha-ha) you are right where you started from originally. Yes the O2 sensor must be moved unless you can use Hotshot headers like I did. The header has to be cut and welded to fit the 510, but it is easy. If you want pics of mine or copies of my templates let me know. I have my wagon posted in the show pics of your Datsun.

Joe

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”