Just ordered new suspension, can't wait...

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

How's it goin yall,

Not that any of you probably care or anything, I figured that I would chime in on how my project car is going. I recently picked up a '90 Fastback for $1000 cash and the transformation has recently begun...

So far I have installed:'95 Seats<-- got the pair for $85 and they are in perfect condition'93 Font bumper<-- Haven't painted it yet, but it is on there :)17x7.5" Konig Verdict's<-- Checked clearance for Z brakes on my friend's car, and it is all good. Dunno about CO clearance though :( they have a +40 offset215/40 ZR17 Falken Ziex Z502's<-- not so grippy, but better than crappy stockers

And on January 2, I will receive and install the following:Tein HE Coilovers<-- Got 'em from Phase 2, they randomly had a set in stockEast Bear Pillow Ball Tension Rods<-- Stockers have crap bushings so I fixed that right up :DPilot Front and Rear STB's<-- Figured what the hell, they are on sale

And next week I am ordering Whiteline front and rear swaybars and hopefully getting an LSD and Z32 brake upgrade.

This stuff should be fun eh?

R240NA

Sounds good so far. The wheels won't clear coilovers though. Grab a 10mm spacer.

240_Keyy

Hmmm... Does it have to be a 10mm spacer? I have to see I guess, but maybe I can get away with a 5mm?

Either way doesn't really matter, I got them for free from my wife :)

S13Convertible

lucky sonuva***** i wish i had that kind of money!

orange_guy182

Are the tein HE camber adjustable?

240_Keyy

Orange: Yes the HE's come with the PBM's and are camber adjustable in the front, but not the rear since that is controlled by the links.

S13Convertible: I do not have that kind of money, but my wife does and she was nice enough to spot me the dough. All I have to do to pay her back is buy her a new set of rims (which I already did) and give her sex every day :D

Does that make me any more of an SOB :)

S13Convertible

lol nice married rich eh? ho bag! :D

240_Keyy

ok if any of you guys want pictures, I have some :)

All I have to say is that this stuff is VERY high quality. I can't wait to get this stuff on :D

super_hicas

just post them up here so we can all see!

240_Keyy

I tried to but it said that the file size was too big. Will dink with it more once I get back home.

240_Keyy

ok if any of you care, the Teins fit just fine on my car without the spacers. You can see what wheels and tires I have in my sig, so just look there for more info. However there was only about 2 to 3 mm of clearance so I went ahead and used the spacers anyway.

These CO's OWN!!!!

IvanS13
Car: *** & Titties

How much did up pick up the HE's for?

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

cool man. I think phase 2 had them for like 1200? something like that.

anyways, what settings do you have them on? I'd like to hear about what the ridequality is like on your settings, etc.(the more information I have the better)-chet

240_Keyy

okey dokey...

I picked them up for $1350 from phase 2 including shipping. I have the spring perches at the height that Tein sent them to me, it is just low enough that the springs only just fit in there with no slack when the tire is off the ground. From there I raised the mounting perches 10 revolutions and that lowered the car another 1.5 inches from where Tein sent them to me. I do not know the total drop on the car since it already had cut springs when I bought it and it was pretty much slammed. I have about 1.2 inches of wheelgap on the front wheels and approximately 1.5 inches of wheelgap on the rear wheels. Even under high speed cornering on some of the country roads around here, I have had absolutely no problem with with the wheels rubbing or hitting the bumpstops. I have the mounting bolts on the lower mount all the way towards the outside to get maximum rim clearance since I am running a relatively wide rim with a relatively high offset. I figure that with the spacer I have about a +34 offset because the spacer is actually a quarter inch instead of 5mm. with the spacer and the mounting bolts all the way out I have about 3mm of clearance with the spring perches (that just so happen to be dead even with the rims) and the outer edge of the rim. Since the tires I am running are 215's, the sidewall is perfectly straight and I have the same amount of clearance (3mm) between the spring and the tires. As for the settings, I have been playing with them for the past week and I think I finally have them figured out. I had my car aligned back to factory spec so I could align from there myself and the fronts are at -.3* camber, 6.5 Caster, and 0 toe. The rears are at roughly -2* camber. These settings will change in the future as soon as autocross season starts back up. There is roughly 1 inch of gap between the damper mount locking collar and the spring perch locking collar so the car can be lowered up to one more inch, but I don't think I am going to go there as there is no need. The dampers are set to 10 from softest in front and 12 from softest in the back. The ride quality on these settings is EXCELLENT for both daily driving and twisty *** backroads driving. IT is perfectly dampened and balanced and the car is very neutral at the limit. I drove around a cavalier with swaybars, eibach sportlines and konis wit fat meats on light rims for almost a year and my 240 with only the Tein's, STB's and T/C rods far eclipses the cavalier in both ride comfort and handling characteristics. (I know it was only a cavalier, but that suspension was crazy and it handled like it was on rails) My 240 is astoundingly predictable and very confidence inspiring even when driven at the limits of grip. Even when encountering large surface irregularities (bumps or dips) in a turn the car is not upset and the dampers just absorb the shock and keep on licking.

All in all I must say that I think this was an INTENSELY good deal for the money. Installation was amazingly simple, the quality is top notch, the ride is very pliable and when set to full soft it is really really comfy. I would highly recommend this suspension to anyone who does autocrossing, road racing, or track events because of the sheer adjustability and excellent ride quality on the street and on the edge.

If anyone else has any more questions either shoot me an e-mail or look me up on AIM.

AznRide
Car: Cars, hondas, import cars, girls, cars, girls, girls, and more beautiful girls.

damn, HE coils over cost that much???? I don't have that kinda money...dang. I need struts and coilovers for my 240sx, any recommendation?

240_Keyy

Well, I suppose if you can't handle the cost you can get KYB AGX's mated to a set of ground control coilovers and ground control PBM's. That is the only other way I would go besides a true coilover setup...

still, that is only a couple hundred cheaper.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

if you cant get a set of coilovers, just get the AGX/spring setup, its as close to a coilover as you can get at half the cost(unless you use sleeves, which add more money).you can get a sleeve system with PBM, springs, adjustable shocks and such, but its runs about 900 for a good setup, and for that, you might as well save another month and get a good coilover prefab.

-chet

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”