Just got scammed by Nissan stealership

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I apologize for this rant but this is outrageous.

$100 for an oil change and Tire rotation! :wtf2: :mad:

Usually this service would cost us $40 OTD (using 0W-20) but this is just rape. I understand for BMW and MB, but not for a POS Nissan Rogue! Knowing this engine, it should take less than 5 qrts IICR, but another look at that receipt shows 6 qrts. I thought the previous service on my 16 was the last straw with any NISSAN stealership (that was the service which then resulted in the 16 Rogue to be totaled the week after) but I think I just had it with these stealerships. If ya'll live in the Orlando, Florida region, PLEASE AVOID REED NISSAN ORLANDO! They are thieves and thugs, not your run of the mill dealership. And my dad was surprized that the service is $100. My MDX oil change costs $49.99 (uses 0W-20, and done at Honda) which is less than this and uses roughly 5.5qrts. I will be reporting to Nissan of this ripoff.

dubnationd
Car: 2015 Rogue

I paid $19.99 for an oil change, tire rotation, car wash it was a couple of months ago nowadays they are asking $39.99 for the same service.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Change your own oil and rotate your own tires, and you won't have to worry about it. You won't, though. You went back, after all.

Why should a BMW or MB cost more? Have you ever even done an oil change or tire rotation?

$40 is a come-on price to get you in the door to find other issues. Do the math. 5Q of good oil is $25, a filter is $8. That leaves $7 for labor and supplies. You won't get off the sofa and do it, so you have to pay the price.

You really think you're entitled to someone's free labor? Amazing, but not surprising, considering past posts. You get cars bought for you, then demand more, and complain when it's not perfect. Unreal.

If I ran that dealership, I'd trespass your whiny arse next time you rolled in. And NOW, you're blaming the dealership IN WRITING because your car was wrecked? Holy crap. You need an attorney and a psychiatrist.

BTW, for someone who brags about your Rogue, now it's a POS when you're upset?

datechboss101

I was expecting the entire oil change to cost like $40 + $19.95 for tire rotation, but this is outrageous. I had nothing but negative experiences with this Nissan dealer. I even tried to convince my parents to take this POS to the Tampa dealer for FREE oil change but they didn't want to drive that far. Yes I blame the dealership, and for a good reason. I had a huge feeling when they did the brakes that something bad would happen, as it happened when they botched a wiper blade install and a coolant flush job. That's my justification.

The last oil change for my MDX was $49.95 at Honda for 5.5 qrts of oil + oil filter (Honda oil filters are like $8), and $21.95 for the tire rotation. Let that sink in for a moment. But $60 bucks for the same oil that was used in my 16 Rogue (the last oil change before it was wrecked), seems super sketchy. I did some online price check for the 5 qrt bottle, and that stuff came out to $30. A walk in price (or scheduled appointment) should NEVER be $100 for these two services combined plus tax (OTD). And in the 20 years of my life, I have never seen ANY stealership charge $26 on top of the oil change price.

I don't brag about my 2019 Rogue, I just hate it with my gut and have been wishing we shouldn't have gotten this 19 Rogue, since its nothing but full of problems that came from factory that Nissan won't fix! Compared to Acura and other brands, Nissan doesn't want to do warranty work and it shows.

I just wished this I was driving this 19 Rogue instead 16 Rouge, when I got into a wreck. At least our 16 was trouble free and headache free than this 19 Rogue.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

My prior suggestion stands.

Oil changes aren't warranty work. I'm not defending Nissan, but your rant is petulant and ludicrous.

Change your own oil in your FREE car and stop crying.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Changing oil and rotating tires are two things that anyone should be able to do on their own barring any physical disabilities. Why pay someone anything that you can easily do yourself? Nothing pays out as high of a ROI as Sweat Equity.

You are telling everyone that dealerships charge more than necessary for basic maintenance? Uhm.. yeah. They all do, and always will continue to. They will charge as much as the market will bear for labor. Nothing new there.

Caveat Emptor.

I understand this is your parent's car, not yours. But if you or they authorized them to perform this service without getting the full price for it before the keys were handed over, you only have yourself(ves) to blame.

datechboss101

AZhitman wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 pm
My prior suggestion stands.

Oil changes aren't warranty work. I'm not defending Nissan, but your rant is petulant and ludicrous.

Change your own oil in your FREE car and stop crying.
Dude, look at my signature. I no longer drive a Nissan. My Nissan was a 16 Rogue. The Rogue that we got raped by the Nissan Dealer was my parents 2019 Rogue. No, I am not saying oil changes are warranty work, but what I am saying is other issues that plague this newer Rogue, came from factory and Nissan doesn't want to deal with it under the new car warranty (Acura took care of me when I brought up multiple issues and resolved it within the day, still under new car warranty). I am always willing to pay the dealership the service if the price is reasonable (I do cross-shop other dealerships too since service departments are cash-cows for dealerships). And sure I can totally DIY the oil changes and tire rotations, but I come from a family whose mindset is let people who are trained for said area do the jobs (TL:DR.. Let the professionals do the job!). What I am ranting here is the ripoff of $26 that was not even noted on the receipt for why they charged the additional $26.

datechboss101

Lone Wolff wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:38 pm
I understand this is your parent's car, not yours. But if you or they authorized them to perform this service without getting the full price for it before the keys were handed over, you only have yourself(ves) to blame.
Well, its clearly both parties fault. Yeah, my dad didn't say jacks*** about the price and I was not there when he gave the keys and agreed to the service, (I was waiting in my car so we could run some errands). And knowing this dealership before, they will not accept coupons from dealerships outside of "their" region so we were essentially screwed. We still have 2 Free oil changes at the Tampa dealer which I told my dad lets take the Rogue there for the next 2 services and then after that I will DIY the oil changes. I believe Pep Boys does free tire rotations IICR so we have drop it off there for that.

For my dad's new car and my car, I will be definitely doing DIY since:
a) Honda didn't clean up oil residue on the previous oil change
b) German brands oil change prices are through the roof ($100+ for an oil change!)

I just happened to bring this up just in-case since not everyone on here DIY their oil and rotates their own tires. Just saying!

AZhitman
Administrator

So, instead of going and handling it like a man (not that you'd know what that means at 20 mollycoddled years), walking in and asking why you were charged the additional $26, you'd rather throw a tantrum. Got it.

BTW, you didn't get "scammed. Or "raped". Your emotionally-charged allegations are gonna get you slapped or sued someday. neither of those words are applicable. Period.

You didn't even pay the bill. Besides, you were waiting in the car like a petulant child while your father handled business.

No, it's not "both parties' fault." That's factually inaccurate. Advice: Don't ever testify in court, because you'll get summarily demolished.

I'm astounded that you're still blaming the dealership for an accident. If your "feelings" were in the least bit useful (they're not), you'd hire an attorney and sue the service department. Won't happen, because there's zero evidence (besides your "feelings.")

You'll be fortunate if the dealership doesn't pursue action for your slanderous and baseless allegations.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

datechboss101 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:45 pm
I apologize for this rant but this is outrageous.

$100 for an oil change and Tire rotation! :wtf2: :mad:

Usually this service would cost us $40 OTD (using 0W-20) but this is just rape. I understand for BMW and MB, but not for a POS Nissan Rogue! Knowing this engine, it should take less than 5 qrts IICR, but another look at that receipt shows 6 qrts. I thought the previous service on my 16 was the last straw with any NISSAN stealership (that was the service which then resulted in the 16 Rogue to be totaled the week after) but I think I just had it with these stealerships. If ya'll live in the Orlando, Florida region, PLEASE AVOID REED NISSAN ORLANDO! They are thieves and thugs, not your run of the mill dealership. And my dad was surprized that the service is $100. My MDX oil change costs $49.99 (uses 0W-20, and done at Honda) which is less than this and uses roughly 5.5qrts. I will be reporting to Nissan of this ripoff.
dumber.jpg
dumber.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
You weren't scammed by any stretch of the imagination. You got exactly what you paid for.

Neither you nor your parents bothered to check on the price before the work was done, so that's on you not the dealership. If you called to make an appointment for the work then you should have asked about the price at that time. Failing that, you should have asked the price before handing over the keys. Not to mention that virtually every independent shop and dealership I've ever dealt with in the past 40 some odd years has their basic service prices listed on a board by the service desk. So you simply cannot fault the dealership for your failure to do due diligence.

Oh, and one other note. WTF is IICR? I think you're trying to say If I Recall Correctly, but you've even screwed that up. SMH.

datechboss101

I did call the stealership back after I read through the entire receipt for why they charged the $26, but like always (this particular dealership also has the worst phone system ever, my previous SA admitted that; i.e.: I call for service, someone from the sales department picks it up and it gets stuck on a loophole or it just gets disconnected) it went to voicemail. I will be driving back to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning to get this fixed out. I can see from the elders, that I may look like a whiner, but this was a wake-up call for me to not get any of our vehicles serviced at any dealers (yesterday's service for my own vehicle was icing on the cake for why I need to stop going to them, talk about lying to a customer who just happened to know that the SA straight-up lied).

AZhitman
Administrator

It's not an age issue. It's a personal responsibility issue. You absolutely did not do your due diligence. You cannot seem to comprehend that, and it's concerning.

Know this: You were not scammed. You were not raped. And your dealership did not cause your accident. These are irrefutable facts.

I wasn't kidding or trying to be nasty earlier - I used to think you were simply a spoiled whiner whose parents never told you NO, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

I'm seeing evidence of processing deficits (that should be apparent to anyone with a mental health background), and they're concerning. They can cause major difficulty in navigating the world and lead to bigger problems in adulthood.

Emotionally-charged words that don't apply to the situation at hand are simply manifestations of your own frustration with others not cowing to your wishes or things not happening in concert with your worldview.

You just expended 60+ words on excuses (blaming the phone system?)

If I were a service advisor, I'd put you on hold indefinitely, because your behavior is illogical and petulant. The good news is, there's absolutely something to blame here - a chemical imbalance. In all seriousness, consult with a professional.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

There’s a reason we call it a stealership = caveat emptor.

I think y’all are being harsh on this particular kid, it seems he has had pretty bad karma with his family’s Nissan Products.

With that said, I think it’s admirable to be price conscious at that age.

If it would make this kid feel better, he could have looked at the oil change as $49.99 & the rotation as $49.99 which would be reasonable if you had to give them a benefit of a doubt. Yah, yah, I know rotations could be done for free too.

Well maybe dealerships have to charge a higher premium because everybody uses YouTube to do their own repairs these days. Their trying to offset loss revenue in these changing times and adapt.

There are also people who don’t mind paying the higher cost for personal time & convenience.

But I think we can all agree that dealerships will SQUEEZE every last penny out of you to MAKE a profit. Especially when the service advisors getting a commission does not benefit the consumers.

Hell, I used the word scam and felt that way many times and not ashamed to admit that.

It does not help when bad mechanics and dealerships rip off the public, just watch YouTube, I rest my case.

Which is probably why I try to service my vehicle myself unless it’s something too hard to do or I need the convenience.

It’s a serious crapshoot when you bring your car in to get a repair anywhere for that matter.

Which is also the reason I dread the yearly car inspection. I usually go into it EXPECTING a rejection sticker and pleasantly surprised it passes and get to relax for another 12 months.

I did have many good years wayyyyy back when I had this guy from a gas station who was trustworthy that I loved going too until the gas station closed.

But I have been going to the dealership only for my Rogue.
I’m wavering if I should go back or find an independent shop for my next inspection.

Because I had to pay over $1200 for front lower cross arm replacements, funny thing a lady next to me had that on her paper work too. Maybe they were overstocked or was quota month. I also wrote a review on google and said I felt violated! :bs:

There are good dealerships and repair shops out there, but some if not the majority is just a big :bigfu: to the consumer.

I mean when the cross arm work was done, I was paying for 3 hours of work but the LAST 30 minutes it sat in front of the service desk for pick up because the advisor was at lunch. But I still paid for labor during that 30 min.

Dealerships mostly OVERPRICE the hell out of you for their services. It’s only a scam if they don’t provide you with the old parts when requested or if you secretly mark your filter or tires and they were not removed.

If only this industry required mechanics to wear go pros on their safety goggles and go straight to the car and do the diagnostics from beginning to end as proof would I ever be comfortable with a NEEDED repair; and just maybe I might be more inclined to PAY an inflated price.

Because my Rogue had no trouble whatsoever with the cross arms because it drove normally. Maybe my dumb butt didn’t know better, but it peeved me that the female advisor had to condescendingly clarify if I truly wanted a rejection sticker, like duh, if your telling me I need to change the cross arms which I did that Thanksgiving week.

It’s like this BLM movement & Pro-police groups.

Because of bad apples, it f#%k’s up everything.

Yes, I went there; crappy times we live in.

Didn’t consumers who bought Altimas win a settlement because Nissan SCAMMED the consumers with bad cvt’s?

Didn’t the a Nissan CEO jump bail and sneak out in a cello case to escape justice in Japan? :rotfl

If a person is cynical about the auto industry, can you blame them? :poke:

I’m seriously surprised the kid didn’t have an outburst and trolled back at these attacks personally addressed at him.

I thought he took it pretty graciously imho.

Just look at the news, it seems everybody can be triggered by anything these days let alone a sneeze.

This is a good kid trying to learn and seek advice in this forum for the most part.

Like when your gf needs to vent, we need to just listen and support them. That’s all. :grouphug:

AZhitman
Administrator

casperfun wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:08 am
I mean when the cross arm work was done, I was paying for 3 hours of work but the LAST 30 minutes it sat in front of the service desk for pick up because the advisor was at lunch. But I still paid for labor during that 30 min.

If a person is cynical about the auto industry, can you blame them? :poke:
Work is based on book hours. If a tech can complete the job in less time, you still pay the book rate. That's not just dealership service departments, that's ANY auto shop. The job books at 3 hours, you pay for 3 hours.

Know why? Because a LCA swap on my AZ car is super-simple (no rusted bolts, and I maintain my cars meticulously). A given tech can do it in, say, 2 hours. But here comes Boston Bob in his rusted-to-hell POS. Same tech has to break out the cutting torch and breaker bar, AND replace the hardware. So, it takes him 3.5 hours. He gets paid for 3 hours in both cases.

I'm as cynical as any (probably more) about the industry (ESPECIALLY Nissan). I only have one car that I let the dealership touch, and when they do, I know I have to pay their price. If I don't like it, I can go learn to maintain it myself.

It's easy to act "price conscious" when someone else bought your car(s).

Bottom line, no one was scammed. No one was raped. And a dealership isn't responsible for their accident. False allegations are inappropriate and serve ONLY to make the accuser feel better about their shortcomings.

Casper, you bring up an interesting topic, which might warrant an article soon - the reason dealership service costs ARE perceived as "too high." You're almost on the right track, but it's not because of DIY'ers. DIY repairs are actually WAY down. There's a bigger reason.... More later! :dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”