Just got my Rogue on Friday night!! Intelligent Key questions!!!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rritchey
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello all-

I just bought a 2009 Rogue SL AWD in black on Friday. I love it, so far. But, I'm having truble understanding the Intelligent Key

How do the buttons on the door handles work in association with the key?

If I have the "key" in my puse and I walk up to the car, is it open? Or do I have to push that button on the handle?

The "intelligent key" just seems kinda unsafe to me, or maybe I just don't understand. If I have the "key" in my purse and am standing near the car, anyone could just walk up behind me open the door and start the car?? Am I missing something?

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

the intelikey has to be within 2-3 feet of the door you are trying to open. Press the black button on the door handle once to open only that door, twice quick to open all doors. The key has to be INSIDE the Rogue in the front seat area to unlock the ignition. When you get out, just press the black button on the door handle once to lock all doors. You can use the fob buttons just like any other keyless entry vehicle if you want, but I have yet to take me key out of my pocket to get in and my wife's has never left her purse in the 7 months we've owned it.

Roguemeister

I have the intelligent key for both my vehicles and love it! You will get use to it. Like RubenTheRogue said, my key stays in my pocket also. Listen for the beeps when you press the button on the door handle. One beep means the door is unlocked; two beeps mean the doors are locked; and three beeps means you have left the vehicle while it is still running or have left the key inside the vehicle.

It is possible for someone else to open the door and start the car if the key is within the operating range (31.5 inches). Quote from the Owners manual... "If the Intelligent Key is within the operating range, it is possible for anyone, even someone who does not carry the Intelligent Key, to turn the ignition switch to start the engine."

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

The i-key is a wonderful gadget, and I actually prefer it to the standard key.

1 - it's safer. You can't have key's just "replicated" without programming from the dealer completed.

2 - it's convienent - not having to take the key out of your purse/pocket is a wonderful thing.

To open anything on the car, you must (as it has been stated) be with in a 2 foot radius of the black button's. The only button that works is the one near the ikey - aka you can't use the black button on the passenger's door if they key is on the driver's side. One push, driver door, two push, all doors, a thrid push, locked doors. When you exit the car after driving, all you have to do is push the button once to lock all doors - the car will beep twice. The rear hatch also opens with the black button.

To start the car, the ikey must be physically within the confines of the car - it won't work otherwise. The car can be left on with the ikey removed, but cannot be re-started witout it. I've never really seen any issue with someone coming up behind you or what not...I would imagine the stealability of the car to be about the same as with a regular hard key.

The car also won't let you lock the key in the car, which is nice. It will continue to beep at you if you try to lock it any it's inside the car.

JFP
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

If you leave the vehicle and forget to lock the doors, it will lock automatically after 60 seconds, try it out. Not sure if this works for all Rogue's though?

shavimusha
Car: 2008 NISSAN ROUGE SL AWD / 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE

no it wont lock itself my wife left it open and it does not lock itself !

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

JFP wrote:If you leave the vehicle and forget to lock the doors, it will lock automatically after 60 seconds, try it out. Not sure if this works for all Rogue's though?

this does not work on MY Rogue, I'd be irritated to have to unlock my doors every morning in the garage

peleke
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD, Indigo Blue, premium package, leather, moonroof

This sounds like my wife's toyota. If you remotely unlock the doors and then don't physically open the door within 30-60 seconds, the doors relock themselves. Haven't tried this with the Rogue since always have my keys in my pocket and just use the buttons on the doors.

Ok, page 3-7 in the 2008 manual"All doors will locked automatically unless one of the following operations is performed within 1 minute of pushing the UNLOCK button.-Any door or lift gate is opened-The ignition switch is turned to the ON position"
Modified by peleke at 10:03 PM 12/17/2008

Return to “Rogue Forum”