Just got my motor in today!

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Sopdadope

Well, after being determined shoehorn a DOHC V8 in the 240, I've finally settled on a certain turbo straight-six (won't say which one) motor. Everything looks good to go: there's no exhaust manifolds/steering linkage problem. The only thing I'm worried about is the length of motor itself. With water pump attached, it's a full 26 3'4" long. I may need to move the radiator around but all in all, I'm not worried about that yet. I'm just relieved to have finally gotten this motor after initially worrying if I could actually afford it or not.

ZERO
Car: AE86 GTS Liftback

is that 263ft. and 4 inches? Thats a big motor dude!!!

Sopdadope

Oops typo! lol I meant 26 inches long.

Projekt

you should be a p0rn star then.

ZERO
Car: AE86 GTS Liftback

didn't mean to flame you dude...glad to see that there are more and more people with this swap. It's very reasuring for me, because I will be getting one within the next few months...

Goog luck on the install and I hope everything goes well... keep us updated...

lessthanjakejohn

Did you install an RB? or something else

Sopdadope

Actually, I got a 7M-GTE from an '89 Supra turbo. Unfortunately the motor looks about an inch too long.

Projekt

and it sucks about an inch too much :)

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

well was guessing a 2jz, but im sure if u finagle and finesse it a lil, u should be able to get it in there man, well anyway, keep us posted, sounds fun

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

7M-GTE???.....WHY MAN WHY????......i just don't get why....

Sopdadope

Why? How about why not?

I got the motor for dirt cheap, I mean single-digit cheap. And these motors are known to make up to 500rwhp on stock bottom end. The only 'weakness' to this engine is the headgasket but that has more to do with how the headgasket is prepped and ultimate hp than anything.

For less than $80 I have an engine that could make more power than I would ever need. Another plus is you don't have to worry about the turbo manifold getting in the way of the steering linkage since it's on the opposite side of the engine bay.

It could'e easily been done, but it place the motor too far up.

I'm surprised to see such opposition to an turbocharged inline six...regardless if it's not Nissan.

sultan

i think you need to lay off the hybridz boards. sure, they use the engine, but you don't have a Z. maybe you could sell the engine to one of them for some profit. are you trying to fit it with just rad or ac condensor also? do they make those electric water pumps for that engine (they don't stick out as much, right?).

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Sopdadope wrote:Why? How about why not?

For less than $80 I have an engine that could make more power than I would ever need.

I'm surprised to see such opposition to an turbocharged inline six...regardless if it's not Nissan.

I guess now i know why, for $80 i'd buy it if all i have to put it on was a john deer lawn mower.....

And i got nothing against toyota inline turbo 6's, hell who can deny the 2JZ....but for every I6-T that toyota got, there's a better one from Nissan. I'd pick a RB25 over a 7M-GTE, and i'd pick a RB26 or RB26/30 hybrid over a 2JZ. But i guess thats just me. But i never said anything against turbo'd I6's, IMO its the only way to go....

Redline

Sopdadope

sultan wrote:i think you need to lay off the hybridz boards. sure, they use the engine, but you don't have a Z. maybe you could sell the engine to one of them for some profit. are you trying to fit it with just rad or ac condensor also? do they make those electric water pumps for that engine (they don't stick out as much, right?).

Actually...I do have an L28ET turbo Z. Still being worked on.

I'm just one of those people who can't resist a spectular bargain and loves challenges.

Sopdadope

Redline240 wrote:
And i got nothing against toyota inline turbo 6's, hell who can deny the 2JZ....but for every I6-T that toyota got, there's a better one from Nissan. I'd pick a RB25 over a 7M-GTE, and i'd pick a RB26 or RB26/30 hybrid over a 2JZ. But i guess thats just me.

Redline

Personal preference I guess. I'd take the 2jz over the RB26 anyday. Sure it surrenders 1k rpm to RB but I prefer the extra .4 liter and bomb-proof bottom-end. Also, IMO the 2JZ is more responsive to simple mods than is the RB.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

Sopdadope wrote:Personal preference I guess. I'd take the 2jz over the RB26 anyday. Sure it surrenders 1k rpm to RB but I prefer the extra .4 liter and bomb-proof bottom-end. Also, IMO the 2JZ is more responsive to simple mods than is the RB.

so true so true

2jz is the greatest motor to ever come from japan when youre talking power.

Projekt

because we all know 3 liters is better than 2.6 right matt?

chaosnite

any updates sopdadope?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”