Just got a J30, couple questions

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Vince C

Hello everybody! I just purchased a 95 J30 and had a couple questions. My gas gauge drops to E sometimes while driving and eventually comes back up after a few minutes of driving. Is the common? Also, it feels like one of my struts might be bad, is strut replacement pretty straight forward? I've done this kind of work before and im hoping it isnt too difficult on this car. I've also heard timing belts need to be replaced around 100k, my car has 103k on it and im wondering if i should have it replaced. Also where can i find a service manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im already in love with this car by the way, the interior is what really got my attention, so very comfortable.

One more thing, is premium my only choice for gas?
Modified by Vince C at 2:32 AM 9/21/2005

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Vince C wrote:Hello everybody! I just purchased a 95 J30 and had a couple questions. My gas gauge drops to E sometimes while driving and eventually comes back up after a few minutes of driving. Is the common? Also, it feels like one of my struts might be bad, is strut replacement pretty straight forward? I've done this kind of work before and im hoping it isnt too difficult on this car. I've also heard timing belts need to be replaced around 100k, my car has 103k on it and im wondering if i should have it replaced. Also where can i find a service manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im already in love with this car by the way, the interior is what really got my attention, so very comfortable.

One more thing, is premium my only choice for gas?

Modified by Vince C at 2:32 AM 9/21/2005
Welcome to the board!

Answers:

For the gas gauge clean the gauge cluster connections. If that doesn't work its possible that you may need a new cluster.

Your timing belt is now 10 years old. To be on the safe side get it replaced. The engine is designed in such away that if the belt breaks, you'll basically need a new engine. I beliive 1993tanJ30 has a full timing kit for sale on this board.

Service manuals show up on Ebay fairly regularly. I think you can get a pdf version on some Nissan Techinfo site. Its possible that some members may have a 1995 FSM in pdf and be willing to share.

Use premium fuel in this car. This is due to the engine and fuel injector design. Anything else and both fuel economy and mileage will suffer as well you will shorten the life of a number of vital engine components..

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”