Just did a clutch job and now have super soft pedal :( please help

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Ed.williams5

So I just finished replacing the clutch on my rb25 with an act ns3-xtss. Replaced slave cylinder, clutch pedal bracket and adjusted Cmc pushrod. So let me start from the beginning and hopefully someone can chime in and point me in the right direction.

I had to adjust the Cmc pushrod because it was too far out and wouldn't relieve pressure off the slave. Gravity bled the slave through the bleeder then operated slave by hand to get air out (did this until bubbles stopped coming out of Cmc reservoir). Even after doing all this the clutch pedal is still really soft especially for the pressure plate I have installed. Now for the odd part may just be coincidence.

Have the car running on jack stands I can go through 1-3 without using clutch, tires are spinning so clutch is engaging. 4-5 I can't get into gear with/without clutch. So my question:

Does this sound like I need to rebleed the system or do I need to look elsewhere?

Ed.williams5

Just wanted to provide more info...went out and looked some more actually seems like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

I started the car in 4th gear clutch depressed and wheels start spinning. Pull out of gear and try to go 1-3 and won't go into gear. So looks like before trans was spinning fast enough to float through the gears. Thinking I need to go through and rebleed the hydraulic system.

Largekid
Car: '96 RB S14 SE, '04 LS6 CTS-V

try adjusting the clutch pedal free play.

Ed.williams5

Wanted to follow up incase someone else has the same issue. Went through and bled the hydraulic system again, Cmc was fine however the slave still had air. I pushed the slave in manually by hand then cracked bleeder and got a big pocket of air out which gave me pedal pressure.
I started thecar to check clutch disengagement however was still have the same issue. I then went and adjusted the Cmc pushrod OUT. This solved the problem and the car is now fixed. Thanks largekid you hit the nail on the head

Largekid
Car: '96 RB S14 SE, '04 LS6 CTS-V

no problem! Just ran into a similar issue where my pedal only had 1" or so of travel, even though it was bled completely. Gave myself some more room on the threaded rod and good to go.

Now however, the clutch isn't holding the new power so its all coming apart for a twin disc lol.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”