Just completed 2016 Rogue CVT service

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jman26063
Car: 2016 Rogue S AWD

So I just completed the CVT service on my 2016 as per the FSM using special tool charge adapter and a Power Fill Pro pump. Went very smooth and anyone with any questions please ask. It did not require removing fake dipstick cover at all. All was done from under car and you do need a scan tool to monitor CVT temp.

Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

60K miles? How does the fluid look like comparing to new? Thanks a lot.

jman26063

I am going OCD intervals and did it at 35k gonna do 30k service going forward. Fluid was black compared to the nice bluish green NS3 but did not have any off putting smells. I would say it is overkill at 30k but I keep cars for 200k + miles

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Could you clarify what make/model of scan tool you use? I'd like to be able to do my own d&f in the future and I'm seeing I'd really need the scan tool to make sure I do the change right.

Thanks! :)

jman26063

I use an Autel DS808, there are definitely cheaper options that can display cvtf tempature, this just happens to be the one I own. I paid around 789 for mine but to me it was worth it since I pretty much do all the work on my cars short of tires and alignments so a true Bidirectional scan tool for me was worth the cost. I was also able to reset deterioration data

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The rogue would probably last longer changing the transmission oil more often than the motor oil.

The chances of engine exploding is less likely.

On the other hand, the cvt transmission is known as a timebomb. A cvt crapshoot.

+1 on ocd on the transmission.

I changed my transmission oil 4 times in 2 months. This after 80,000 miles. Late in the game.

My motor oil at 15,000-20,000 miles.

I probably do transmission oil just as much from this point on.

Since it’s just as easy as a regular oil change on the first generation in my opinion. :slap:

jman26063

:mike

Definitely is a little more involved on the 2nd gen but still easy

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

jman26063 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey jman2603, if you could do a full write-up with pics (if possible) for all the 2nd gen owners I'm sure they would appreciate it.

I'm sure the mods would add it to the list of how-to's

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Google CVTZ50 to get an android phone ONLY app that is a little picky on the cheapo wi-fi code readers it works with but for $5, you can't beat it, Resets the data back to zero too.

http://cvtz50.info/en/

jman26063

darylzero wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm
jman26063 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey jman2603, if you could do a full write-up with pics (if possible) for all the 2nd gen owners I'm sure they would appreciate it.

I'm sure the mods would add it to the list of how-to's
Unfortunately I did not take pics as I went, but I will try to write up an easy to follow guide

sh442olds
Car: 2016 nissan rogue sv awd

hi
own exact rogue
could you explain the procedure to draining and filling i guess i am missing something ??? i have read the procedure and it dont make sence
thanks scott

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Easier to use the dipstick tube to fill. Then junk that handpump.

There are essentially TWO drain plugs, one is a standpipe that sticks up maybe an inch inside the pan, a short tube basically, it screws in and out and the actual drain plug is threaded into the end of that tube. If you remove the smaller drain plug you get nothing, you must remove the short tube standpipe to drain the fluid out of the pan. The short tube is what sets the depth of fluid in the pan, with the smaller drain plug out you fill pan until the fluid level comes up to the top of the short tube and then it comes down the short tube inside to show the pan is full.

Basically a two stage drainplug, a plug inside the other longer plug.

jman26063

amc49 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 pm
Easier to use the dipstick tube to fill. Then junk that handpump.

There are essentially TWO drain plugs, one is a standpipe that sticks up maybe an inch inside the pan, a short tube basically, it screws in and out and the actual drain plug is threaded into the end of that tube. If you remove the smaller drain plug you get nothing, you must remove the short tube standpipe to drain the fluid out of the pan. The short tube is what sets the depth of fluid in the pan, with the smaller drain plug out you fill pan until the fluid level comes up to the top of the short tube and then it comes down the short tube inside to show the pan is full.

Basically a two stage drainplug, a plug inside the other longer plug.

This is totally incorrect and does not apply to this vehicle or transmission. It is a standard drain plug with no tube. It is drained and then refilled via a fill hole on the torque converter housing

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

(edited after some research)

It's still utterly silly to not have a dipstick, for instance you will never know when a trans axle seal begins to leak until you have already torn up the trans.

The basic standpipe idea is still there, they just did it in a slightly different manner. The level setting method is just not in the pan any longer. Makes sense as some drain plugs were likely removing the standpipe around them instead due to improper torques. The change stops that.

I apologize to all I mis-steered there. The method used there still sucks, as not all of the fluid gets changed, now we're down to 3 liters only, and it gets done twice to still leave some dirty fluid in the trans.

jman26063

amc49 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 pm
(edited after some research)

It's still utterly silly to not have a dipstick, for instance you will never know when a trans axle seal begins to leak until you have already torn up the trans.

The basic standpipe idea is still there, they just did it in a slightly different manner. The level setting method is just not in the pan any longer. Makes sense as some drain plugs were likely removing the standpipe around them instead due to improper torques. The change stops that.

I apologize to all I mis-steered there. The method used there still sucks, as not all of the fluid gets changed, now we're down to 3 liters only, and it gets done twice to still leave some dirty fluid in the trans.

No hard feelings!! A lot of toyotas are exactly as you described. It is foolish

Return to “Rogue Forum”