Just bought a G35; now looking at an EX35 or an Acura RDX...

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
waltaz

Hey...I just purchased a G35 Journey last weekend for my wife, to replace her '04 Accord EX-V6. The G is the best car I've ever purchased - we absolutely love it. It's a sports car, as far as I'm concerned.

I drive an '06 Pilot loaded EX-L with Navi, and am experiencing "I want a new car too" angst, though I love my Pilot. So now I'm looking at an RDX or an EX35 to replace my Pilot. My rationalization is that I don't really need the third row seats that I needed two years ago, so I can "downsize" a bit.

My understanding is that the EX35 is basically the G sedan with a different body style, so I don't know that I want two cars that are so similar, even though we LOVE the G. And if I'm "downsizing" from the Pilot, then I don't need the MDX, which is basically the Acura Pilot.

A key use for me is racking mountain bikes up top - I have a Thule rack on my Pilot's rails, and will want to rack the RDX. I don't think that either Thule or Yakima have a fit kit for the EX35 yet (they don't for the G), and I haven't checked for the RDX.

Thoughts on EX vs. the G, vs. the RDX, etc.

Thanks!

Widman
Car: 2007 BMW335 convertible, 2011 EX35

I am able to carry my mountain bike on my EX35 using Thule Rapid Crossroad Mounts with Rapid Aerocross bars. The bike carrier is also Thule, called the Sidearm, and works without taking off the front wheel. The Aero bars are aluminum, that matches the rails, and have a rubber strip on top. The 47" wide bars work perfectly. The Thule will allow you to carry more weight than the Infiniti cross bars, which are also only 19" apart.

Dodgeyaussie

This one would seem to be an easy decision. Much more bang for the buck in the EX... better fuel economy too with nearly a 60 extra HP....

EX35-V
Car: 2008 EX35 (Tidewater w/racks)

I've driven my friend's RDX many times (he got rid of it btw) and it is no way in comparison to the EX's refinement. The RDX is noisy on the highway (lots of road noise) and the ride is stiff/jarring for long travel. Gas mileage isn't that great either...same as the EX35, though the EX's engine is much smoother/quieter and more powerful.

The RDX is just a dressed up CRV, which it is based on. Acura really need to step up in design/technology with their current vehicle lineup 'cause I have not find any excitement with any of their model since the original NSX debut, IMO.

waltaz

Holy Sh*t!!!

After driving the RDX last week, I just looked at in detail and drove the EX35 for the first time. All I can say is AWESOME!!!

Maybe all the negative reviews about cargo space and the rear seat had me expecting the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised in both regards. Rear seat space is OK with the driver seat set where I would want it, and cargo space is fine.

The decision has been made - the EX blows away the RDX. Not even close.

Again...WOW!

hazozita

It’s funny – I had the exact same experience. I was expecting to really like the RDX after reading some reviews and looking at the specs. Looks great on paper, but a test drive left me with a so-so feeling. Nothing really “wrong” with it – a totally adequate, acceptable vehicle. I just didn’t want to spend a lot of time in it.

In contrast, when I drove the EX, I didn’t want to get out! Got that “this is the car for me” feeling immediately, and it just got better the longer I drove it. Still get that feeling every time I drive it. Granted, it’s only been a week since I purchased one, but I think I’ll be taking the long way home for quite a while. A real joy to drive.

waltaz

hazozita wrote:It’s funny – I had the exact same experience. I was expecting to really like the RDX after reading some reviews and looking at the specs. Looks great on paper, but a test drive left me with a so-so feeling. Nothing really “wrong” with it – a totally adequate, acceptable vehicle. I just didn’t want to spend a lot of time in it.

In contrast, when I drove the EX, I didn’t want to get out! Got that “this is the car for me” feeling immediately, and it just got better the longer I drove it. Still get that feeling every time I drive it. Granted, it’s only been a week since I purchased one, but I think I’ll be taking the long way home for quite a while. A real joy to drive.
Word...

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Well, I hate to be a joiner but ditto here. I checked out the RDX when it was first introduced in Oct 2006 and found it fantastic on paper (specs, etc), and completely lacklustre when driven.

Each time I drove the RDX, I liked it less, whereas over the last few months, each time in the EX made me appreciate it more. I'm glad I waited a year and a half and bought an EX.

My advice, FWIW, to anyone considering both ... drive both multiple times and the decision should be clear.

D.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

I have been considering buying the RDX for the last few weeks. After reading your positive feedback on this forum, I finally decided to test drive the EX this week. I was very impressed with the EX, trim and drive.

The price difference between the two vehicles is approx $15k. Wondering what is the best discount you have been able to get on the MSRP for the prem/nav pckg.

Also, blue onyx and tidewater is not available with graphite leather. For those of you who have the stone leather interior, I'm wondering how it would stands up to the daily wear and having a couple of pets.

dividedhighw

allthatjazz wrote:The price difference between the two vehicles is approx $15k. Wondering what is the best discount you have been able to get on the MSRP for the prem/nav pckg.
I don't understand how you get $15K difference. RDX with Tech (which contains Nav) is about $47K, whereas EX35 with Premium+Nav (no Tech) is about $50K, both quoted freight included. That's only $3K difference. If you add the Tech pkg to the EX, it's another $2K, widening the gap to about $5K.

I was able to get $2500 off, plus get them to include the winter mats. However, I'm in Ottawa and there are only two dealers here, unlike Toronto with many more choices. I also negotiated for them to do a "convenience deal" at no cost whatsoever, so I was able to find a private buyer to get retail for my old car, and still save full tax on its value. Infiniti was offering huge rebates on their G lines ($3500-$4500), but it seems the EX is too new and selling too well.
allthatjazz wrote:Also, blue onyx and tidewater is not available with graphite leather. For those of you who have the stone leather interior, I'm wondering how it would stands up to the daily wear and having a couple of pets.
Yep - same with my Dark Currant ... not available with graphite leather.

I'm concerned as well. I've only had my stone leather a week so perhaps someone with several months of experience can chime in.

My vehicle was in the showroom and the leather had gotten visibly dirty with folks just getting in and out. Of course, when I asked them to clean it, it came out looking new again, but it doesn't bode well. I had black leather on my previous car ('01 Audi S4) and it held up like new over 7.5 years.

My plan for this one is just to clean it more often (haha ... OK, it's still new and I have the best intentions!)

allthatjazz

dividedhighw wrote:
I don't understand how you get $15K difference. RDX with Tech (which contains Nav) is about $47K, whereas EX35 with Premium+Nav (no Tech) is about $50K, both quoted freight included. That's only $3K difference. If you add the Tech pkg to the EX, it's another $2K, widening the gap to about $5K.
Thanks for catching my typo. I started out looking at the Rogue SL AWD and then the RDX navi. The price differential of 15k is actually btwn the Rogue & EX. From the RDX to the EX it is only approx $3k more, but definately worth it based on the drive/handing and finish.

So far the dealer was not willing to offer any discount on the MSRP, since I had not yet decided, I didn't even try to negotiate.

Thanks again for sharing the details on the price you paid.

nycex35
Car: ex35

No comparison. Just in the driver seat of the rdx and then then ex35. i was debaiting on the same two, then i sat inside instead of looking at the website and i made my choice on the spot. the ex is better looking, faster and way more comfortable.

the only thin the rdx got on the ex is the cargo room. thats it.

rdx is for kids, ex is pure luxurory

allthatjazz

After revisiting the dealers to take the RDX out for another test drive, I am very glad I did not buy the RDX as originally planned.

My initial hesitation in purchasing the RDX was reinforced even more so after driving the EX35. Since I do a lot of city driving, the turbo lag was definately noticable.

The EX35 responds to the slightest touch of the gas pedal with no hesitation. Not to mention, the interior is pure luxury & refinement, with tons of gadgets to delite the majority of us.

2 days and counting until I take delivery of my new EX. I sure am going to miss my TSX.

datura2000
Car: 98 Disco series1

I drove the EX, X3, and RDX on a road course....the RDX was very very nose heavy and to be frank...handled poorly. the EX was much faster and handily outperformed the ex in avery capacity.

As for bike racks....try Saris. there are here in madison wi and used our ex for fitment of thier bike racks.

datura2000
Car: 98 Disco series1

I drove the EX, X3, and RDX on a road course....the RDX was very very nose heavy and to be frank...handled poorly. the EX was much faster and handily outperformed the ex in avery capacity.

As for bike racks....try Saris. there are here in madison wi and used our ex for fitment of thier bike racks.

The EX is built on the second generation FM platform. The g is 112 inch wheelbase while the EX is 110inch. Turn in is faster on the EX and its more nimble. Less back seat space though

dividedhighw

My EX35 manual says wheelbase is 112.2", but of course I haven't measured it ... just curious, where did you get 110?

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

the RDX is just a turbo'd CRV with leather and tech gadgets. the turbo has serious lag and the paddle shifting in it is a joke. I'd take an LR2 before I'd take an RDX. I felt seriously unsafe when merging onto the highway in the RDX because of the lack of down low power.

allthatjazz

dividedhighw wrote:My EX35 manual says wheelbase is 112.2", but of course I haven't measured it ... just curious, where did you get 110?
I haven't gone through the manual. However the EX brochure indicates a wheelbase of 110.2" overall length 182.3"

I have to say, I didn't realize just how small the cargo area is. I can barely fit two of the Loblaws green bins, cooler, and all the other bags I would pile on top of the bins. My ole' TSX had a much deeper cargo area. And here it was I thought that with the EX I would be able to fit my parent's walker, and tons of groceries...

Barry Zack

I just measured the wheel base of my EX35 on my garage floor and it sure looks like it is 110" not 112".

Does anyone know for sure ?

Zack

Dodgeyaussie

Barry Zack wrote:I just measured the wheel base of my EX35 on my garage floor and it sure looks like it is 110" not 112".

Does anyone know for sure ?

Zack
Wheelbase is 110.2 inches.

Barry Zack

Even the Home Page of this Forum states 112"

Zack

M45Caliber
Car: 03 M45, 54K mi, Pearl, Chromes, Frozen Rotors/Hawk pads, 5000K Fogs, MagnaFlow Exhst, Lip Spoiler

As for "discounts" on an EX -- the dealers here have PLENTY of units in stock and discounts are readily available. Also (and I can not speak for our Canadian brethren...) but here in the good ole' USofA, ANYONE can buy from the FLEET department. Imagine NOT having to deal with any saleman that greets you at the dalership door with "so whatiltaketogetyoutobuyacartoday" crap.

First, go to KBB or Edmunds and price out your vehicle - now you now the invoice price. Look for any incentives as well. NOW -- Call the dealership, ask for the fleet manager, tell him exactly what you want (make, model, trim level, options and color), and ask him for the net price of the vehicle (the MSRP and his 'selling" price, PLUS any dealer adds they load on, and the dealer fees - keep theseas separate line items). Don't worry about taxes, tags, registration fees as they are THE SAME at all the dealers.

Then call a couple of other dealers with the same scenario, telling them that "the best deal wins". You will then be able to compare and decide. I had one dealer with a much better price on the EX, but his adds and fees sucked. So, I called him back and said "drop the adds - I don't need nitrogen in my tires,... etc.) and match the fees of your competitors and we've got a deal. Otherwise I'm going with XYZ Infiniti. He did. So, I drive over to the dealership, the paperwork is all ready, I sign, I drive -- total time @ the dealership was about 45 minutes.

No managers and general managers trying to "close the deal" for a few hundred more (with the effing 4-square worksheet they all like to use), no sitting in a cubicle while the lacky sales guy goes to find his boss so we can make this deal work.... you know, we are close -- I just need a little more for this lovely new EX you really want...

I have purchased ALL my cars via Fleet for the past 20 years.

and BTW, the EX35 is my 56th vehicle; (my 33rd new vehicle) so I do speak from some experience. Good Luck!

Bern123
Car: 2006 Infiniti FX35, 2008 Infiniti EX, 2005 Traxxas Revo Nitro (ok RC car)

I have seen some really poor mpg averages posted on the RDX, some ave 18mpg highway since it is always on boost being so heavy and shaped like a box. My EX get's 24 - 26mpg on 90% highway 60 miles per day. I also understand that the EX is a tad lighter. FYI my FX35 get's 20 - 22mpg on the same driving cycle.

glevitan
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD

I literally had the same exact issue....I actually had a brand new 08 Pilot Ex-L with naV. My wife has a Lexus gx so we deicded we didnt need two trucks. Sold my Pilot and narrowed my decision down to the RDX and the EX35.

First of all, you will get the EX ( a more expensive car) for a MUCH better deal right now. Acura's Money factor is utterly insane right now!!

Also, the drive cannot be compared!!! The EX feels like a luxury sports car and the RDX although nice, feels like a souped up 4 cylinder CR-V...which it is!

It was an easy choice for me. The onyl thing is that the RX is def more suited for any off road driving and has more space in the back seat.

The EX is like an SUV Coupe! But oh man what a drive!! I had A lexus IS350 in the mix which is a powerhouse and the EX feels jsut as powertfull but more refined!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”