Just bought a capped internet plan, need help

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
USsil80

Well untold to me and my wife when we bought our house was that there was no internet/cable ran in the city. So instead of getting satellite internet, we went with verizon mifi. The catch is it capped at 5GB/month, after that we are charged for each MB we use. Does anyone know a way to use less MB per page viewed, IE not downloading so much per paged opened. I really hate having a capped internet provider, but it is better than nothing. Any thoughts would be great, Thank you.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I would not worry about it, with 5GB a month that equals out to about 170MB a day. I just wouldn't download big files.

RCA

That is bad advice from asnorton44...

You need to stick to photo and text use on your internet browsing. YouTube videos even at bad resolution take up a lot of bandwidth. With a 5GB cap, you can't use the internet for leisure.

My brother used 10GBs of data with his T-Mobile phone using unlimited data for 1 week. He would go to work (over night security) and stream Hulu and Youtube for about 5 hours a shift for a week (5days). That is about a 2.5GB average per hour of YouTube or Hulu. So with a 5GB/month cap, it doesn't leave you much room to do anything. I would setup all automatic updates to alert you when they are updates but not DL them. Also I would look into a bandwidth cap on your router so you don't go over and they start charging you $.10 a MB. I couldn't be on a 5GB cap...

64876357255 bytes = 60.42~ GBs in 4 days.

EDIT:
Since I posted this (7/28/10 @ 3pm) and this edit (7/28/2010 @ 7pm), I have used 1 GB of data...

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Whoa, GB/month. No Pandora, Hulu, Youtube, etc. for you, let alone downloading.
As for how to download less pics and things from forums and sites? I don't know.
RCA wrote:My brother used 10GBs of data for 1 week. He would stream Hulu and Youtube for about 5 hours a shift for a week (5days). That is about a 2.5GB average per hour
5hrs/day * 5 days = 25hrs.
10GB/25hrs=0.4GB/hr. Not 2.5GB.

RCA

Looneybomber wrote:5hrs/day * 5 days = 25hrs.
Wow, I have no idea how screwed up my math was...

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Looneybomber wrote:Whoa, GB/month. No Pandora, Hulu, Youtube, etc. for you, let alone downloading.
As for how to download less pics and things from forums and sites? I don't know.
RCA wrote:My brother used 10GBs of data for 1 week. He would stream Hulu and Youtube for about 5 hours a shift for a week (5days). That is about a 2.5GB average per hour
5hrs/day * 5 days = 25hrs.
Only way I can think of trying to use less data per page is to use a mobile version of the page you're viewing...

like:

m.yahoo.com or
m.google.com
m.engadget.com

Not everywhere has mobile view though, but using them can lower bandwidth dramatically.

ctrucks

Sorry if I'm miss informed but why did you get capped internet? South Africa is one of the countries that are way behind when it comes to certain technologies, especially netlike technology and about a few months ago, the ISP's started offering capless internet offering 3 speeds eg. 384kbps, 512kbps en 4mbps. As far as I know countries like USA en GB runs on minimum 512kbps and fastest is almost 10mbps.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

ctrucks wrote:Sorry if I'm miss informed but why did you get capped internet? South Africa is one of the countries that are way behind when it comes to certain technologies, especially netlike technology and about a few months ago, the ISP's started offering capless internet offering 3 speeds eg. 384kbps, 512kbps en 4mbps. As far as I know countries like USA en GB runs on minimum 512kbps and fastest is almost 10mbps.
I'm on a 12mbps plan with bursts in the 20's (download). Continuous download speed is around 1.4MB/s and upload at 198KB/s (I usually only upload about 15GB/day because I have to lower my upload speed otherwise my download speed drops significantly). There's a step above mine too. Google is currently looking to install a 1Gbps in a town and mine is one of them they're considering, but that's besides the point.

The US capped plans are all about money. People are using more and more bandwidth and are causing ISP's to have to upgrade. If they cap plans, they don't have to upgrade their infrastructure as much/soon.

nismoracingsx
Car: 1993 White 240sx Coupe

thank god there's no cap in Savannah, I'd go crazy >.> even though I'm stuck with s*** comcast..worst customer service EVER ^_-

USsil80

the reason i have it is becouse that is the only way i could get the internet... no lane based cable/internet comes into the town i live in

RCA

I would avoid a capped plan like the plague but if you have no choice then realize you can't to much but check emails and do lite forum browsing.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”