Just bought a '07 g35 sedan w/20k mi - have mod. questions

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
gunslingerdoc
Car: 2007 G35 SEDAN

The dreaded Newbie post....Ive searched but still have a few mod questions.

1. reliability is a must.2. Ive got 2-3,000 max to spend.3. speed is great but handling is just as important to me.4. I love this car!

So far, I'm planning...

1. Stillen intakes 2. lower grill inserts (looking cool matters).3. Window tinting.4. Strut tower brace (circuit sports)5. front and rear tie bars (circuit sports)

Do I need a different plenum?Which exhaust? The stillen at $1500 seems way pricey for a cat back sytem.

Best/cheapest parts sources suppliers?

I'm pretty handy, but messing with engine internals on my new daily driver (the mod'd f250 diesel's getting parked) scares me and I dont want to totally void the warrentee. Exhaust, nitrous, intake, suspension, and chip stuff I've played with before.

Thanks,

Jim

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!

Because you have the 07 sedan, I'm not sure on the plenum. There are a few guys who have this year/model that I'm sure will chime in.

Oh, everything aftermarket for the G35 is expensive...

gunslingerdoc

I noticing that....I gained 150HP and 300FP torque on the diesel Ford for a bit under 2K and my MPG went up....but you have to start somewhere...

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Welcome to NICOland. Your 07 has plenty of power just like it is. I'd suggest nice chrome license plate frames. That's my most expensive mod so far.

Welcome to the forum.

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Welcome to Nicoclub you "practitioner of pistols"!

If looking good and going fast is your game, then you certainly made the right choice with the G35... you're absolutely going to love the G, it's the best car I've owned.

That being said, you have the right idea to pep it up a bit with mods... unfortunately you're going to find that performance modifications are VERY limited on this new generation of G35 sedan

The stillen intake is very nice, but I went with the Fujita intake as it has a little more aggressive appearance and was more cost effective budget wise. Check out some of the past threads on this mod as it has been debated ad nauseum.

I couldn't tell you where to start looking for strut tower braces as I know of no one that produces them for the new Gen G35 sedan... I've heard that it is possible to fit the Z's aftermarket strut tower brace MIGHT fit the G, but I haven't tested this personally.

Stillen makes some nice aftermarket sway bars for the new G... I'm considering this upgrade...

As of right now... the only aftermarket catback exhaust system that I've heard of is from Stillen and a small company called Fast Intentions out of CA... I'm hoping that Tanabe will release a medallion series exhaust for the G to give stillen a little competition... you're definately right that the Stillen is pricey, but I'm 100% Confident that you can get it for under $1500! Try closer to $1100 from everythingg35.com

Other than that, there aren't a lot of options out there, but if you find something new, then please keep us updated.

Welcome again to the forum and be sure to post up pics of your new beauty! Dave
Modified by ArizonaG35 at 12:07 PM 3/26/2008

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Welcome aboard!!

Not much I can add to the other Members comments.

Arizona pretty well nailed it!

Geez 150hp for under 2k.... I wish!!

gunslingerdoc

Az.

I used to be pretty heavy into IDPA/IPSC, but after making master things got boring. Now I just play with MG's on occasion (the G35 is gunna have trouble with transporting ammo to the bigger shoots!). I'm also an OB/GYN.

Omegamerc
Car: 2008 G35xS

gunslingerdoc wrote:The dreaded Newbie post....Ive searched but still have a few mod questions.

1. reliability is a must.2. Ive got 2-3,000 max to spend.3. speed is great but handling is just as important to me.4. I love this car!

So far, I'm planning...

1. Stillen intakes 2. lower grill inserts (looking cool matters).3. Window tinting.4. Strut tower brace (circuit sports)5. front and rear tie bars (circuit sports)

Do I need a different plenum?Which exhaust? The stillen at $1500 seems way pricey for a cat back sytem.

Best/cheapest parts sources suppliers?

I'm pretty handy, but messing with engine internals on my new daily driver (the mod'd f250 diesel's getting parked) scares me and I dont want to totally void the warrentee. Exhaust, nitrous, intake, suspension, and chip stuff I've played with before.

Thanks,

Jim
I'd say Fujita intake or stillen long tubes. If you want to be economical and reasonable get a fujita, if you want the most expensive crap out there with minimal gain over the cheapest get stillen long tubes. Get front strut bars when they come out, and an exhaust system.

Tanabe is releasing an exhaust at a very comfortable 800$ in may for our G. They are also releasing under brace's for a more rigid chassis.

I'll be getting a pair of H&R to drop the car along with some rims in the near future.

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Omegamerc wrote:Tanabe is releasing an exhaust at a very comfortable 800$ in may for our G.
Do you know this for sure????? Who's your source??? I checked the Tanabe site and couldn't find anything on the new G35... I'm kinda salty that they've already released the Tanabe Medallion series dual catback for the G37... the G35 was released WELL before the 37... If this is true, then I'll probably get one right away...

((Scottish voice))I'm serious... I'm so excited that I'm gettin' all emotional about it...

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I'd get either lower springs, or (if you go all out) coilovers for your car. About 1" drop looks great to me and the added bonus of better handling is great too

danielekfuj
Car: miata, rocket ship

nitrous.

gunslingerdoc

I thought about nitrous....but seriously other than dragging with someone or a midnight "oh **** baby catching run to the hospital" its not gunna be a full time enjoy the speed increase type of thing. Dont get me wrong, NOS is cool stuff but a little to narrow of an application for my uses.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

The factory tires (Goodyear RSA) suck and they are tall.

If I were spending your money,

#1 245/45/17 Kumho SPT's on all 4 corners using the stock rims $600#2 Fujita intake kit $220#3 Strut tower brace from 08 maxima or 08 350z if it doesn't fit get out the die grinder and MAKE it fit $200 AZ had this part found a post or 2 ago#4 Custom Magnaflow muffled exhaust from you local exhaust shop $1000#5 OC Motorsports drilled & slotted rotors AND red stuff ceramic pads $400

Welcome to Nico... where did you go to med school. My wife graduated from UMKC's 6 year program.

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

gwoods wrote:The factory tires (Goodyear RSA) suck and they are tall.

If I were spending your money,

#1 245/45/17 Kumho SPT's on all 4 corners using the stock rims $600#2 Fujita intake kit $220#3 Strut tower brace from 08 maxima or 08 350z if it doesn't fit get out the die grinder and MAKE it fit $200 AZ had this part found a post or 2 ago#4 Custom Magnaflow muffled exhaust from you local exhaust shop $1000#5 OC Motorsports drilled & slotted rotors AND red stuff ceramic pads $400

Welcome to Nico... where did you go to med school. My wife graduated from UMKC's 6 year program.
Don't let jeff get a hold of your checking or it will be in the RED real soon lol!

DJ

gunslingerdoc

I'll do tires when the ones on it die (I'm guessing another 10K left)...That and I have to put some tires on the truck ($1300). Same plan with the brakes (upgrade when the factory ones die).

I'd really like to ditch the catalytic converter so a local exhaust may be the ticket...of course I live in rural, MS where getting trucks worked on is no trouble but an import will baffle most of the locals.

I went to school at Creighton (omaho, NE; small catholic school, got a full tuition scholarship).

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

your doing better then me, my factory tires were done at 19k and the brakes at 27k.

If you remove the cats you can use spark plug anti foulers to space out the rear o2 sensors so you don't get CEL's.

Exhaust shop should be able to work on your car just bring em a 6 pack of Pabst and some Skoal and they probably won't weld the exhaust to the transmission LOL

Minmey15
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35S 6MT

rn79870 wrote:Welcome to NICOland. Your 07 has plenty of power just like it is. I'd suggest nice chrome license plate frames. That's my most expensive mod so far.

Welcome to the forum.
I got those, too! But my most expensive mod is JL Audio subwoofer. I have 08 6MT. I wish for bit more torque sometimes, but I'm pretty happy with over all performance. Body seems pretty solid without the tower braces. And it is fairly responsive considering its size and weight.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”