Just a tiny heads up.

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Red_CA_Silvia
Car: CA18DE(T) S13 Coupe

Hey guys...

Just so you know, if you rob hose fittings from the parts cage at work to get a heater hose T made up... make sure to use BRASS fittings and not black iron.

Or at least don't forget you did and then wonder why you have gobs of rusty water in your engine.

:facepalm:

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

LOL! Yea, don't use galvanized either. I've seen it done.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

The issue is, if you cheap out on purchasing coolant and decide to throw some well water in your radiator, you're going to get some rust anyways :yesnod .

Red_CA_Silvia
Car: CA18DE(T) S13 Coupe

Thankfully, living in TN with temp swings through the year of scalding in the summer and at least a few days of well below freezing in the winter taught me to NEVER EVER use anything other than properly mixed coolant.

I just didn't realize how badly black pipe rusted even with good coolant mix in it. And all of the piping and such are getting replaced with good quality silicone hoses and Dorman fittings where the stock rigid pipes have started showing their age.

Basically the only thing that is gonna be reused in the whole heater/radiator circuit will be the heater core, and it'll get flushed and dipped before being re-installed.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

PVC, it's lightweight=racecar.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”