Judder Code p17F1

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
dave2503
Car: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL

2018 Pathfinder SL, 104k miles, well taken care of. Car was hesitating quite a bit. Took it to a small business garage. I figured it was a fuel filter, air filter or the dreaded ignition coils issue. The check engine light is NOT on. Guy at the garage told me the car has a p17f1 code. Told me a need a new transmission for $5,500. From what I'm reading online, the p17f0 is the code for a new transmission and p17f1 if for a body valve? Either way, I'll never buy a CVT again. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

What you read is correct, P17F1 is usually just a valve body. The belt needs to be inspected with a borescope to make sure, but it's doubtful the belt and pulleys are actually damaged. If there are no other codes with it, I'd say 95% of time a VB does the trick. You might get away with just a fluid change if it's never had any. That won't get rid of the DTC (judder codes are non-erasable), but if it cures the misbehavior then give it second change to void most of the old fluid and roll with it. Judder codes also don't light the MIL, so that part is normal.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Just in the way of explanation, CVT's have a metal belt riding on metal pulleys, and the only thing preventing metal from meeting metal is the quality of the fluid. So it doesn't take rocket science to see why fluid is crucial, when the fluid dies the tranny dies with it. But that's also why a stitch in time might save you a VB or worse. If the fluid is worn out, getting fresh stuff in there before real damage occurs is often all that's needed. Nissan's maintenance recommendations are flatly insane, you should be spill-and-filling it every 30K if you want the tranny to last.

dave2503
Car: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:45 pm
PS - Just in the way of explanation, CVT's have a metal belt riding on metal pulleys, and the only thing preventing metal from meeting metal is the quality of the fluid. So it doesn't take rocket science to see why fluid is crucial, when the fluid dies the tranny dies with it. But that's also why a stitch in time might save you a VB or worse. If the fluid is worn out, getting fresh stuff in there before real damage occurs is often all that's needed. Nissan's maintenance recommendations are flatly insane, you should be spill-and-filling it every 30K if you want the tranny to last.
Thank you for the info!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”