Predictions and Other stuff

NICOclubs sports and p0ker related discussion forum
vikesfankevin1986
Car: 1995 300ZX TT

I couldn't read the article because I don't have insider but how does that even make sense? I know they happened so you don't have to say "should have, could have," but if it wasn't for, what was it, 5 fumbles, the Vikings would have killed the Saints. 1 lost fumble was inside their own 10 and another lost fumble was in the Saints redzone...that's a 6-14 point turn and the Vikings were still in it at the end and COULD have won if it was not for Favres amazing INT. The Saints won, yes, but I strongly believe the Vikings were the better team and out played them in every aspect other than hanging on to the ball. I'm not sure because I didn't watch it but I believe the Saints won the S.B. And didn't they win it convincingly?
How would the Vikings not be at the top of everyones list to get there or even win it?
Granted if Sage or Jackson starts I don't see them making the playoffs, and finishing as bad as 3rd in the division.
Last edited by vikesfankevin1986 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

vikesfankevin1986 wrote:I couldn't read the article because I don't have insider but how does that even make sense? I know they happened so you don't have to say "should have, could have," but if it wasn't for, what was it, 5 fumbles, the Vikings would have killed the Saints. 1 lost fumble was inside their own 10 and another lost fumble was in the Saints redzone...that's a 6-14 point turn and the Vikings were still in it at the end and COULD have won if it was not for Favres amazing INT. The Saints won, yes, but I strongly believe the Vikings were the better team and out played them in every aspect other than hanging on to the ball. I'm not sure because I didn't watch it but I believe the Saints won the S.B. And didn't they win it convincingly?
How would the Vikings not be at the top of everyones list to get there or even win it?
Granted if Sage or Jackson starts I don't see them making the playoffs, and finishing as bad as 3rd in the division.
Yes IMHO it does make sense. it doesn't matter that the Vikes were a "better" team overall. Time to face reality that they got beaten in their most important game of the that season. and Favre's interception sealed their fate. To quote Chris Berman (in a deep voice) "that's why they plaaaay the game...."

You could make the same argument about the NE Patriot team that went undefeated in the regular season. Ultimately it doesn't matter how good they were, they still got beaten by 'da Giants in the Super Bowl when the money was on the line.

I think the Vikes have a decent shot at winning their division again, with or without Favre. They have a lotta talent. But they still face a difficult road to the Super Bowl. New Orleans is pretty much fielding the same team, which was good enough to win it all, Green Bay is expected to be even better this year (without Favre). Plus I think the beast is in the East again (NFC East). Should be an interesting season.

vikesfankevin1986

Bubba1 wrote: Yes IMHO it does make sense. it doesn't matter that the Vikes were a "better" team overall. Time to face reality that they got beaten in their most important game of the that season. and Favre's interception sealed their fate. To quote Chris Berman (in a deep voice) "that's why they plaaaay the game...."
I already said
you don't have to say "should have, could have,"

You told me exactly what EVERYONE would say. Yes I know that's why they play the game BUT they were an INT away from going to the S.B. Why would they not be the favorite to do it again?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the Patriots were the S.B. pick the next season were they not? They lost too but were still a favorite but the Vikings lose and they are not a favorite? Why? Because they are the Patriots or because they were coming back with the same players? If your answer is not "because they are the Patriots" why would the Vikings with the same team not be favored?

I mean how many years in a row are the Eagles and Colts favored to win the SB? How about Dallas, or the Chargers. And how many SBs do they have? You know what...nevermind favored teams don't win anyways. I guess that means it's the Vikings year.

UpStar
Car: Y34,CLK500,ML350,H2 Hummer & they all have a spot in the garage.

My opinion.......The Vikings have no chance of a division title or SuperBowl appearance wothout Favre. This was proven last year. The Vikes need Favre! Period. Sage & Jackson aren't ready yet. The Vikings have everything they need counting on Favre coming back and being healthy. Key word is healthy.

vikesfankevin1986

UpStar wrote:My opinion.......The Vikings have no chance of a division title or SuperBowl appearance wothout Favre. This was proven last year. The Vikes need Favre! Period. Sage & Jackson aren't ready yet. The Vikings have everything they need counting on Favre coming back and being healthy. Key word is healthy.
I said that too. I think the Vikings finish possibly in 3rd without Favre. The Vikings did not get a QB because they were banking on Favre. I'm not worried about him being healthy. He has never missed a game in his career. EJ Henderson had a season ending injury and Cedric Griffen got hurt too. I don't care that he is 40...Every single player in the NFL stands the chance of getting hurt on every play. To not want a player because of the fear they might get hurt is insane. Why have a football team then? If a player has a history of getting hurt, fine, but Favre is sports Ironman.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

vikesfankevin1986 wrote:
Bubba1 wrote: Yes IMHO it does make sense. it doesn't matter that the Vikes were a "better" team overall. Time to face reality that they got beaten in their most important game of the that season. and Favre's interception sealed their fate. To quote Chris Berman (in a deep voice) "that's why they plaaaay the game...."
I already said
you don't have to say "should have, could have,"

You told me exactly what EVERYONE would say. Yes I know that's why they play the game BUT they were an INT away from going to the S.B. Why would they not be the favorite to do it again?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the Patriots were the S.B. pick the next season were they not? They lost too but were still a favorite but the Vikings lose and they are not a favorite? Why? Because they are the Patriots or because they were coming back with the same players? If your answer is not "because they are the Patriots" why would the Vikings with the same team not be favored?

I mean how many years in a row are the Eagles and Colts favored to win the SB? How about Dallas, or the Chargers. And how many SBs do they have? You know what...nevermind favored teams don't win anyways. I guess that means it's the Vikings year.

Perhaps it be easier to label your thread "sour grapes" ?

If you're asking why the Vikes, who came close last year and blew it, are not favored. I'd say its a combination of the other teams in their division and conference getting better in comparison to the Vikes, Favre's suspect ankle, his flipflopping about retirement at the time they made the predictions, Favre's ability to make it thru the season at age 41 given the hints that he has other ailments, and perhaps some pundits simply thought the Vikes overachieved last year. But the much bigger question is why do you even care about preseason predictions? You even acknowledge It has no bearing whatsoever on how a team performs thru the season.

I could give a rat's azz if John Madden or Sports Illustrated rank my Giants at the bottom. It's what they do on the field that matters. I want the Giants to make the playoffs, preferrably by winning the division. If they do either, I'm satisfied as a fan. Subsequent Playoff and Super Bowl wins are icing on the cake.

UpStar

Bubba1 wrote: his flipflopping about retirement

between this thread and the other Favre thread....I wish I had a nickle for every time you mentioed the whole Favre flipflop and retirement :lolling: Get over it! Its all in good conversation. I guess. :poke:

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

UpStar wrote:
Bubba1 wrote: his flipflopping about retirement

between this thread and the other Favre thread....I wish I had a nickle for every time you mentioed the whole Favre flipflop and retirement :lolling: Get over it! Its all in good conversation. I guess. :poke:
Yeah, you'd make about 35 cents. And his flipflopping makes national news each year that he does it. Perhaps you should go back to rooting for Tiger Woods, he really needs you... ;)

UpStar

Bubba1 wrote:Yeah, you'd make about 35 cents. And his flipflopping makes national news each year that he does it. Perhaps you should go back to rooting for Tiger Woods, he really needs you... ;)

you are up to 40 cents now. :laugh: ...and lets keep the topic on Brett Favre and the Vikings here. If I want to talk about golf I know where to go. thx :dblthumb:

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

UpStar wrote:
Bubba1 wrote:Yeah, you'd make about 35 cents. And his flipflopping makes national news each year that he does it. Perhaps you should go back to rooting for Tiger Woods, he really needs you... ;)

you are up to 40 cents now. :laugh: ...and lets keep the topic on Brett Favre and the Vikings here. If I want to talk about golf I know where to go. thx :dblthumb:
Upstar, I'm not sure I understand why you find counting my mentions of Brett Favre's heavily publicized annual retirement antics so funny. Care to explain?

Kevin: I just glanced at the Vikes schedule for this season vs last season. I now I see why the sportswriters are not as enthusiastic as you over the Vikes' chances. Your Vikes have a much tougher non-division schedule this season. they not only have to play all 4 NFC East teams, they also play the Saints. Say buh-bye to last year's easy weeks, like the 1-15 Rams or Browns.

vikesfankevin1986

Ok those were better answers :)
I totally ignore the retirement thing. Hoesntly, there wasn't 1 minute I thought he wasn't coming back. Even after they reported he retired I didn't believe it. It just pissed me off because then I couldn't watch anything sports for the rest of the day. He has done this before so why do people still buy in to it?
If you want my opinion the man is brilliant. He should be a politican.
Lets look at what he was able to pull off...
Got tons of attention...
Got more money...
Got to miss training camp...
Got picked up in the team get and taken out for a steak dinner...
Heh usually idiots just hold out and end up sitting out games. People should be taking notes.

UpStar

I agree. Veterans players hate training camp and Favre is no exception regardless of how much he loves the game. I seriously doubt he wanted or even cared about the attention. He was too busy shooting snakes , armadillios and fishing to even give it a second look. The sprots media gets bored and loves to create drama, and B Favre is a great headliner for ESPN or any any news media for that matter.

vikesfankevin1986

*sigh* disapointed we lost the game but it was encouraging...held the saints under 20 points. It was a close game. I think everyone needs to worry about that Vikings defense. In a couple of weeks when Favre gets him timing down with the new recievers, I think teams might be in trouble...

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

vikesfankevin1986 wrote:*sigh* disapointed we lost the game but it was encouraging...held the saints under 20 points. It was a close game. I think everyone needs to worry about that Vikings defense. In a couple of weeks when Favre gets him timing down with the new recievers, I think teams might be in trouble...
I dunno about that. The other teams are going to be improving too. Green Bay didn;t play that well and still beat what was supposed to be a good Iggle team.

We'll see what happens next week.

vikesfankevin1986

I agree other teams will be improving, but this is the top 5 ESPN Power Rankings...
1 (1) Colts
2 (2) Saints
3 (6) Packers
4 (4) Cowboys
5 (3) Vikings

First off, the SB losers are ranked number 1 (I think its some kind of rule that the Colts have to be number 1.) They got embarassed by a Huston team ranked 14 by ESPN...The funny thing is, Payton played well.

The Saints, who by definition, are the best team in football, are ranked number 2. They have the most impressive win of the top teams with a win over the Vikings...At the same time, their amazing offense only put up 14 points against a Vikings team with a weak secondary. Either the Vikings defense is really good, or the Saints offense sucks.

The Packers...Yea they won...They bearly beat a "good" Eagle team that no longer has McNabb and lost their current starting QB to a concussion. Honestly, I think the Packers are one of the better teams in the NFL, but until they beat the Vikings, I will take the Vikings over them.

Number 4...the constantly overrated Cowboys. Bad coaching led to the Cowboys losing to the power house that is the Washington Redskins. 7 Points? really? What is their excuse? I thought this team was supposed to be better than last year...

Now we get to the Vikings...Out of the teams that lost, they were the only ones that lost to another team in the top 10. The best team in football only managed to put up 14 points aginst them. True the Vikings only had 1 TD, but Favre looked like garbage. He clearly should have done more pratice with the WR because their timing was way off. I think in another week or 2, when Favre gets on the same page with his recievers, he will be back in last years form, but will not be as good as last year until Rice comes back.

On another note, the Number 7 Falcons lost to the Steelers and their 3rd string QB.

Obviously not including the teams playing on Monday night, out of the other top teams, I think the Vikings should feel the best about themselves, followed closely by the Packers.

Indi has serious defense problems. They got shreaded by a no name RB and they OL was iffy. Obviously Manning will be Manning, and they will win 9-10 games with their defense playing like that, but if their defense doesn't pick up, it will be a 1 and done in the playoffs.

The Saints only have issues if the Vikings defense sucks. They put up 14 points against, IMO a very underrated defense. If the Vikes defense does suck, NO needs to pick up the pace on offense. They have no excuse for only 14 points.

Packers offense looked good, but I question their defense also. Overall I would feel pretty good about them.

The good old Cowboys are up to their normal, and I think they have everything to worry about. Once again they are a lot of people's pick for the SB. Well they need to improve their offense, defense and coaching for that.
Obvoiusly, I'm not an expert and this was only week 1, but I don't think week one turned out like it was supposed to.

vikesfankevin1986

I do this little thing on my spare time...I know many people don't read this, but I will post it in the thread for fun. Basically I do a power rankings like ESPN does. I normally don't do all the teams, just the top teams and teams worth mentioning. I will post my Week 1 and then start on my Week 2.

ESPN Power Rankings
2010 Power Rankings: Week 1
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (1) Colts 14-2-0 Health of offensive line will be big story early. (Kuharsky)
2 (2) Saints 13-3-0 They won it all, so respect is due, but repeating is tough and I'm expecting a drop-off in New Orleans this season. (Sando)
3 (6) Packers 11-5-0 The defense was tops in the NFC last year. But the offense may steal the show in 2010. (Walker)
4 (4) Cowboys 11-5-0 The debut of WR Dez Bryant in a game has taken almost as long as the Cowboys took to build the new stadium. (Clayton)
5 (3) Vikings 12-4-0 Brett Favre returns at quarterback. But will the offense be the same without WR Sidney Rice? (Walker)
6 (5) Ravens 9-7-0 Adding WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh is another sign Baltimore is aiming for nothing less than a Super Bowl. (Walker)
7 (8) Falcons 9-7-0 Matt Ryan's third season in Mike Mularkey's offense should be his best, giving Atlanta a chance to unseat the Saints. (Sando)
8 (10) Chargers 13-3-0 Philip Rivers is missing in too many young stud QB conversations.(Kuharsky)
9 (7) Jets 9-7-0 The loss of pass-rusher Calvin Pace to injury heightened the need for Darrelle Revis' return. (Clayton)
10 (9) Patriots 10-6-0 The Brady Bunch is a lot younger this year, but this series lives forever atop the AFC East as a playoff rerun. (Clayton)
11 (13) Dolphins 7-9-0 The Dolphins are the San Francisco 49ers of the AFC. They hit you hard on both sides of the ball. (Clayton)
12 (11) Bengals 10-6-0 QB Carson Palmer has the right weapons to bounce back from a pedestrian 2009 season. (Walker)
13 (12) 49ers 8-8-0 Anything less than a division title looks like a failure amid so much NFC West turmoil. (Sando)
14 (14) Texans 9-7-0 I'm gaining faith in Arian Foster as the lead back. (Kuharsky)
15 (17) Eagles 11-5-0 A bad third preseason game has people wondering how good Kevin Kolb is. He's good, but he's no Donovan McNabb. (Clayton)

Here is what I had to say. I will type up and post my week 2 after the game.
1 Saints-Same great team, same great offense...enough said.
2 Vikings-If they can learn to hang on to the ball and play at the same level they did last year, there is no reason they shouldn't be a SB pick.
3 Colts-It is a tough one between the Packers and the Colts. But I am going to give this one to the Colts because I think their defense is slightly better.
4 Packers-Just behind the Colts. They gave up a lot of points to the Vikings, so I would give the defensive advantage to the Colts.
5 Patriots-I rate them a lot higher than ESPN does. Tom Brady is back and Welker should be healthy. With Randy Moss, look for them to be a high scoring offense. I don’t think their defense will be as good as other years, but should be good enough to win most games
6 Titans-I think this team will surprise us this year. Vince Young is a proven winner and they have one of the best RBs in football.
7 Falcons-They have gone in the right direction and I think they have the right people and the right players to maintain last year’s success.
8 Giants- They have proven they are a good team. I think last year was a fluke and I see them coming back this year being more focused. I think they are the best team in that division
9 Ravens-Solid defense and some studs on offense. Flacco has been exceptional and Boldin is a great player. I want to see them in action to see how good their defense really is and if their offense can flow.
10 Chargers-I think they are overrated every year and I don’t like the people running the team. Maybe they can impress me in the first few weeks.
11 Cowboys-Here they are…the most overrated and dysfunctional team in the NFL. They are the team that chokes and just can’t live up to the hype. I can’t wait to see how the mess it up this year. I have no idea why people think this team is going to the SB every year.
12 Jets-Another overrated team. Yes I’m sure their defense will be solid, but I don’t think it’s enough to make up for their lack of offense. Sanchez is overrated and I don’t think even LT is going to give this team a good enough offense. He is a shadow of his former self and is waiting to retire. Their coach is am absolute joke.

Other comments…
Bengals will be lucky to be a 500 team with their circus act…
Steelers defense may be solid with Polomalu back, but is it enough to carry an offense without Big Ben?
The Bears should be very solid and a team that others don’t want to face…Their downfall is they have to face the Vikings and the Packers twice…
I vote the Eagles finish under 500. I would love to see Washington finish ahead of them.
Every year I think Huston is going to be good…they disappoint me every year. I won’t make that mistake again. They miss the playoffs.
Watch Eric Decker for Denver. He will be a stud. I bet he has a better NFL career than Tebow.

vikesfankevin1986

1 (1) Saints-They were number 1 and they beat my number 2 team. I question their offense, but I will attribute that to the underrated Vikings defense.
2 (4) Packers-I am giving it to them on the sole fact they won their game. They didn’t look very good and their defense was iffy but they won their game.
3 (2) Vikings-The Vikings lost and Farve looked out of sink with his receivers but I think he will be back on track in another week or 2. Their Defense looked great against the best team in football.
4 (5) Patriots-They move up because the Colts went down. They look like they are back up to their old tricks.
5 (9) Ravens-Defense looks great. They just beat one of the best defenses in the NFL.
6 (3) Colts-Payton is Payton but their OL looked shakey and what happened to their defense?
7 (6) Titans-Stomped the Raiders, as they should.
8 (8) Giants-You don’t lose ground for the expected result.
9 (NR) Texans-They looked GREAT against the Colts, but can they maintain it or will they do like every other year…
10 (NR) Redskins-Are they that good, or is Dallas that bad? I think Dallas is that bad, but here is the number 10 spot until next week.
11 (12) Jets- It’s hard to judge how good they are after the game with the Ravens.
12 (10) Chargers “I told you so,” always makes me feels great
13 (11) After my first prediction, I feel like I should be an “expert.”
Wow how about them Lions…I knew they weren’t going to win tho…you can’t get that number 1 DP when you win games.

vikesfankevin1986

Ok so I have no idea what is going on in the NFL. No one appears to be amazing...It's a toss up for me right now...
I will play another game tho..it's called who can get injured before the old man Brett Favre. For some reason everyone thinks that the ironman of football will get hurt this year because he is too old. Besides pointing out the obvious, that anyone can get injured on any play, I am going to make a list of players injured before old a** Brett Favre...

Jay Cutler, Bears #1 QB-concussion
Todd Collins, Bears #2 QB-unknown
Matthew Stafford, Lions #1 QB-shoulder sprain
Ryan Grant, Packers, RB-torn ligament in ankle
Bob Sanders, Colts, DB-torn bicep muscle
Kevin Faulk, Patriots, RB-ACL
Reggie Bush, Saints, RB-Knee
Mike Vick, Eagles, #1 QB-unknown
Kevin Kolb, Eagles, QB-head
Darrelle Revis, Jets, Hamsting
Jake Delhomme, Browns, QB
Donte Stallworth, Ravens, WR-foot

I am sure there are a bunch I forgot. When I remember the others and as the season goes on I will continue the list until the Ironman gets hurt.

Return to “The Sports Bar”