Jeff McVey's L320

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Jeff McVey

The title of the attachment is a long story.  However, it's the 1964 L320 I bought a couple of weeks ago.  After I cleaned the clogged center jet in the Nikki carb, it starts right up.   Another project!

71-521

very nice looking rig there....so tell us the story...enquiring minds want to know!

odpl_Razor

It looks so straight and clean!

tells us more about the plan on your "project"

Jeff McVey

Well, here's the story - I had turned (on my 1919 Oliver lathe with electro-mechanical variable speed motor) a wooden vessel to hold a curved-bottom oil lamp for my now-retired co-worker, Phil.  Phil spends summers aboard the 41-foot trawler he restored and operates out of Port Townsend, WA.   Anyway, this oil lamp was made to hang on the wall of his boat, but he wanted to be able to have it sit on a table top, too.  So, I took some pictures when I was in the process of turning it.  When I downloaded them from my camera into my computer, I entitled the group "Phil's Oil Lamp".

Then, one day in February, I had traveled to the little town of Wilder, ID, to inspect a helicopter.  I work for the US Dept of Interior as an aircraft inspector.  We use aircraft for "unusual" missions.   We hire this particular aircraft ( a Bell model 47 - like the ones on the TV show "MASH") to round up wild horses and burros.  Anyway, on the return drive from Wilder, I passed through the even smaller town of Greenleaf, ID.  

It was then I spotted it - in a dealer's lot (which was actually the paved front yard of the dealer's house) - a little red pickup.  I didn't know what it was, and I wasn't really looking for another collector vehicle (I have a 1966 Ford Econoline pickup with 302 V-8), but I had to stop and see.   Nobody was there, but the vehicle was unlocked, so I got to look closely.   Since I had my camera with me, I also took a bunch of pictures.  However, when I downloaded from camera to computer, I was in such a rush to see them, that I didn't bother re-naming the group of pictures.  I know I could go back and fix it, but, well, you know.... too lazy!

Anyhow, I called the dealer later, went back to look again, etc.  Eventually we got our schedules to match up and I went out to drive it.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't start, although it would run when the carburetor was primed.  So, I made an "as is" offer, which was accepted.   They brought it to me via trailer a few days later.  This dealer bought it at the auto auction in Boise, so I don't have the history on it.  Maybe I can do some research some day.

So, I already knew gas was getting to the carb, but not through it.  I eventually disassembled the carb completely, found the clogged jet, and opened it back up.  After reassembly, it started right up.  I drove it around the block a few times, and it seems to work reasonably well.  The brakes need some attention, and I'll get around to them sooner or later.

The vehicle appears to be very original and shows 64,000+ miles, which I'd guess is correct.   For the time being, I'll probably not do too much with it, as I'm busy with the Econoline, getting it ready for shows this summer.  However, I hope to clean the Datsun up and do some shows with it too.  It's really pretty nice and straight.  At least it was nice enough that I couldn't resist buying it!!!!!

Jeff McVey

Boise, Idaho

kenbagby

Jeff, thanks for saving another one. Looks like you got one in great shape. It's kind of funny but the Econoline connection. You are the 3rd Datsun pickup owner I've met who has or has had an econoline pickup. I had one years ago with the 170 6banger, and wish I had never sold it. When you get a chance post a few pictures. Ken

Jeff McVey

Ken:

Ask and you shall receive.  Here's a picture of my Econoline.  Later today, it's going in for a set of Doug Thorley ceramic-coated headers, new pipes, Flowmaster mufflers, plus an electric fan to replace the belt-driven fan.  Why?

Although the engine doesn't overheat, with the V-8 in there, the exhaust manifolds are about an inch away from the doghouse.   As a result, in parades and other slow-speed stuff, the occupants overheat!  I also plan on covering the inside of the doghouse with heat/sound insulating material.  I'm hoping these steps will make the cabin more livable on hot days.

It's odd that so many old Datsun owners also own Econoline pickups.  I guess the answer is that they like neat trucks!

Jeff McVey
Boise, Idaho

71-521

Strange indeed...

I used to have a 64 van...wish I never sold it as well...

IMH

I had one of those (Econoline p.u.) back in the 70s in my college days.  Drove the wheels off of it!  Not nearly as nice as yours, though.  Everyone would always call on me back then when they needed to haul something.   So that makes another Datsun owner who owns or owned an Econoline.

Return to “Datsun 320”