jdm transmission in usdm car?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
intermilanrox
Car: 1995 300zx 2+2

I was looking at buying a car near me red 1990 300zx 2+2 auto with 137k miles on it for $1500. The only problem is the transmission is shot. So I searched Ebay for transmissions and theres a bunch of jdm ones for sale. So my question is will it bolt right up without any problems/modifications. Also, most of the transmissions for sale are for a tt, is there any diffrence between the tt and n/a auto trans.Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm new to the Z32, just trying to learn along the way.

300freekzx
Car: 1990 300zx N/A, 1992 Honda Accord LX , 1991 Honda Accord LX, 2006 M35 Sport

This is the best advice DO A MANUAL SWAP. You will thank yourself later.

intermilanrox

I would, but I'm only 15 (right now) and its going to be my first car, so I feel auto would be alot easier. Also, my parents would rather have me drive auto first, then maybe later get a manual.

John1006
Car: 300ZX

I remember when i was 15, i didnt want a car unless it was manual. its so much better and you feel more like a MAN! lmao

KevinZtwin
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo

I cannot tell you the difference between the n/a auto and the TT auto except that I am pretty sure there is some sort of difference (aside from the rear differential).

Z1 sells both non turbo and twin turbo automatic transmissions separately. This would lead me to believe that they are different in some way.

Have you considered taking it to a transmission repair shop and see what they would charge to rebuild it? Could be cheaper than buying another one with no way of knowing its condition prior to purchase.

Houston Z
Car: 300zx Twinturbo x 2 & 300zx nonturbo hardtop

intermilanrox wrote:I was looking at buying a car near me red 1990 300zx 2+2 auto with 137k miles on it for $1500. The only problem is the transmission is shot. So I searched Ebay for transmissions and theres a bunch of jdm ones for sale. So my question is will it bolt right up without any problems/modifications. Also, most of the transmissions for sale are for a tt, is there any diffrence between the tt and n/a auto trans.Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm new to the Z32, just trying to learn along the way.
JDM NA and USDM NA trannys are the same. JDM TT and USDM TT are the same.

It is okay to use a TT tranny in a NA, it would be an upgrade, the TT tranny has more clutch disks. The only thing you need to swap is the speed sensor.

Warning: The 5speed conversion requires lots of parts gathering and a few extras to do it perfect. Stock used tranny, clutch, flywheels, hydrolics, driveshaft, pedals, shift knob and boot is gonna run you around $1000 or more than 2000$ if your going with performance parts. A replacement NA or even TT tranny can be had for around $300-400.

phanatikz32
Car: 1991 NA to TT z32 biatch!

just remember that you get what you pay for 1500 is cheap for a sport's car it probably has some issues and seeing as your 15 if you have a job i dont think it can pay for maintenance on an auto z32. word of advice, either fork out some more cash and buy a decent MANUAL z32 (manual is cheaper, if somehting breaks on your auto tranny its very expensinve to fix) or just get another car. maybe an s chassis, those are cheaper to work on and better for a first car than a z32 will be. trust me ' i was 18 when i got my z and my pockets have been empty since.

...oh and to answer your question there is no difference between the tranny's na manual and auto are the same, tt manual and auto are the same, if you run a tt trans though you'll need to run a tt clutch and flywheel which is more expensive so you may as well get the na trans. it'll be cheaper.

flashstar

I put a TT auto transmission into my 2+2 NA. I had to get a new drive shaft, torque converter, and flex plate, but it all bolted up. Unfortunately, my problem turned out to be broken transmission computer, not the transmission itself. Z1 has great used TT auto transmissions for $500-$600.

intermilanrox

Hey, I will be working this summer to help raise some extra cash for some mods/maintenance, but hopefully we will be selling our extra family car (1994 Cadillac Fleetwood) pretty soon so I'd have an extra 3.5-4k to work with. As for maintenance payments, my parents take car of that and insurance as long as I keep my grades up and tickets/accidents. And my step-grandfather has a garage out in LI which i can use to install mods (1 piece drive shaft, air intake, etc.) during the summer when I'm out there. So do you think in the long run spending $1,500 on the car plus $450 for a used transmission and the labor costs would be cost effective in the long run or should i just buy a car that doesnt need anywork?

hun t_x
Car: 1991 fairlady 300zx tt std rhd

you can't beat the experience you gain by doing a swap like the one you plan and you started off on the right foot by asking the relevant questions if you want to be a hands on owner of a Z car and enjoy the benefit and feeling of driving a car you had a hand in rebuilding with your own 2 hands I say do it !! any dink with a fat wallet and no brains can buy a Z32 but only a true enthusiast with endure the scraped knuckles and apply himself with all he has to drive one of these amazing cars !!!!

intermilanrox

Hey, thanks for that, but I'm still undecided If I'm going to do the transmission swap myself (with my step-grandfather) or not. I definately cannot do it at my house because I dont have any room in my garage or the necessary tools. Most likely I'll bring it to a shop to get the new transmission in, but all the mods I'm definately going to do myself.

intermilanrox

I didn't want to start a new thread, so anyway, How much do you think it would cost to put a new transmission in the car, considering I would be purchasing the "new" transmission and the old transmission is already removed?

franklin93zx
Car: 1993 nissan 300zx non turbo

i''m 16 my first car was a z32 auto dont know what i was thinking got a 5 spd now and it's greatest decision i've made dont bother with auto

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”