JDM engine code

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
pilotnmech
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

Hello All. I'm new to this forum, and need a little info, if I may. I have a 2001 Pathfinder that I need to replace the engine in. There was a slight knock, and I pulled the oil pan off to investigate the cause, and the bearings were worn. When I took it apart, one of the journals was worn more than Nissan allows, so I just bought a JDM engine since it seemed cheaper in the long run than all of the parts I would have had to replace. The business I bought this from has an A+ rating with the BBB, by the way. It looks pretty clean, except I noticed it has quite a bit of what appears to be aluminum oxide on it, and I started to wonder if JDM engines are exported if the vehicle has been flooded, and what my engine came out of (the serial # is 806014A VQ35). There are a bunch of parts I need to change over. When I took the valve covers off, the heads looked very clean, which I'm very happy about. The dipstick looked clean, too. I hope the rest of the internals are the same. I also need to figure out if the compression is the same. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

There were all sorts of rumors back in the day about exported engines. My favorite was that Japanese laws said engines had to be replaced at a certain kilometers and similar silly crap. As a 20 year vet of Japanese junkyard hopping, basically, the sort of crap you see at a stateside junkyard is the same thing you will see here. The engine was out in the weather for a little while and started to white rust; that's all.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”