Japan: Zama

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

The last day of our journey in Japan was the true icing on the cake. We had spent an entire week in Yokohama. We attended the Nostalgic 2 Day show, toured Nissan Global Headquarters, and visited the Moon Eyes shop. Dan Passe and Dan Sloan from Nissan arranged one last adventure before we had to leave.
A trip to Zama.

Zama, also referred to as the DNA garage, is the facility where Nissan's most coveted vehicles are housed. It is the true dream garage for anyone who knows, appreciates, and is a student of the history of these cars. We could have spent an entire day in there but we were allotted two precious hours. It was magnificent. As awestruck as I was, I tried my best to reign in the excitement and absorb what I could. Greg and I split up to cover more ground.

Dan Sloan was our official tour guide. He's the head of the Nissan LCV Global Communications Department. He speaks fluent Japanese which was quite helpful because the gentleman who volunteers his time at the museum spoke very little English. He used to work and race for Nissan. Now he spends his retirement years caring for the cars that have brought him so many amazing experiences and sharing his stories. He asked us to refer to him as OB (stands for Old Boy). He was an absolute joy and just a stunning wealth of information. We also met two young project planners who recently started working for Nissan. Dax was from the Philippines and Rahul was from India.

Enough words, here's the link to the pictures. Enjoy and share.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/japan- ... -zama.html

Things to know about Zama:

1) The building is very unassuming. You'd never guess the treasures housed inside.
2) They have my dream car. A 1979 Sunny. It's Japan's version of the American 210. It was my first car and I want it.
3) There's no way you can see everything in the time you are allotted so you need to use your time wisely.
4) We have a Datsun they don't. The NL320. Guess it's rare everywhere. ;)
5) The gold GTR was built for Usain Bolt. There's actual gold in the paint. 3 were built. He has one, one was auctioned off for charity, and Nissan has one.
6) The Bluebird with the flowers and Japanese writing completed a road test. It was driven to all prefectures of Japan. Every time they would pass through a prefecture, that prefecture's flower was painted on the car and the governor would sign below it.
7) They have the very first Q45 ever built. It is beautiful.
8) The dent in the front of the red Bluebird rally car is from a tree that the driver smacked and refused to let them fix.
9) The only R390 road car built is housed here.
10) There's a picture in the album of an S15 next to a 180sx. OB explained to us that those two cars were the only two you would ever need. The S15 is your "date" car, the 180 is your "drift" car.

Enjoy! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! :wavey"

Return to “General Chat”