james, shotgun question

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

do you shoot slugs? do you have a slug barrel for your mossberg?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

my Cylinder choke barrel is capable of shooting them.

I usually don't though...I prefer buckshot. For a hunting or defensive stand point, they're a great round though, lots of power in them. a good deal of cops will keep the cruiser gun with a buckshot/slug alternating load.

as for a rifled slug barrel...I dunno if I'd bother spending the money on one.

I think your gun should be able to shoot them. does it have the breach device on the end of the barrel?

really, to further expand on it...i wouldn't waste the money on a rifled choke barrel as a slug really starts dropping and loses energy beyond about 150 yards while at 50 to 100, with a good rifled slug, you can get groupings of 5 inches or so.

depending on the application, you'd be better off buying a rifle to accompany your shotgun.

this is a good write up on slugs and their pros and cons.http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

I need to go out and buy a punch kit today so I can knock the damn one way screw off my gun and rebuild the safety.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

no breach device, im going to go hog hunting and i was worried about accuracy over range is the only reason i ask. i have the 18" barrel which im sure is going to be a little wild compared to the longer, rifled slug barrel.

ive shot slugs before but never from a barrel that short, so its not really an issue?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

you should be fine unless you go more than 50 yards.

but that can be said for any of them

the nature of the load makes it a short range round.

try some TKO's on a hog.

or get all Ted Nugent and use a 10mm Glock with a REAL 10mm load.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”