J30 Woes

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
miseryinmotion

Hey thanks for taking your time to help me with this, theres a few things preventing me from enjoying my J30 for quite a while now.

1. I brought it to a shop to have it fix its alternator and extremely squeaky belt maybe 10 times..they finally got the alternator right but the belt makes it sound like a squirrel cage still.. Where's the closest Infiniti dealer to New Jersey?

2. Sometimes the dash lights wont turn on at night unless i smash the dash then theyll go on, i checked all the connections and bulbs and nothing seems awry. What could be this prob?

3. My headlights will go in and out at random, making a show, and sometimes looking like a cop's strobes, how do I fix this?

4. When idling , my car will make this intermittent rattling noise, does anyone know anything about this?

THANK YOU

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

First, are you handy with cars?

1. if so, this is no big problem. there was a post recently about squeaking belts on the J30, and how tight they should be. If you dont have a genuine nissan belt on there, get one.

2. this is an easy one. its the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel. bad potentiometer in it. you can try taking it out and cleaning the contacts. Infiniti of Lisle lists that part at about 70 dollars. i recall some place like infinitipartsusa.com listing it for less, ballpark 30.

3. Headlight relay. shouldnt be more than 30 bucks. check the fuse first, to see if its loose or something silly.

4. need more info,.... where is the sound from? a common rattle comes from the (loose) heat sheilds above the catylitic converters.

VimyJ

"Miseryinmotion"? What kind of handle is that? From the description of your problems, you have an early J. Your problems are minor gremlins that are easily dealt with. Fix them and your screen name. The J30 is only a car. But what a car!

miseryinmotion

thanks for your suggestions, and to the sir who questioned my screenname : i was just trying to make it a memorable screename nothing it can be correlated to. you think i should change it???

I will post back with teh results.

THANK YOU

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”