J30 Tranny thump

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
juiceman

Had this posted on the old one and wanted to add.

Recap, when driving sometimes I get a thump when I let off the gas. Somone suggested tranny mount or a EGR valve

I just wanted to add that I have been watching the instances it has happened. over 40MPH. Is this when the Torque Lock up is in operation? If so then it might lend me to belive the tranny mount is the culprit because the motor slows down quick and then the tranny torques to one side.

What do you think?

Is there a way to visually check the mount for tell tale signs?

Thanks for input, not sure about this new site but I am sure it will grow on me

PS, do not drive moms car, do not know where that came from

Professor_Mike

You can check the mount by prying up on the rear of the trans with a long pry bar, if it is cracked you can then see it. It still sounds like it may be a normal feel, the converter will be locked up by 40 mph.

juiceman

I will check it but I guess I am just getting used to the car and starting to feel everything. I am a very sensitive when it comes to driving the car. I had the timing belt replaced and when they put the intakes tunnels back on they forgot to snap the Air Cleaner cover on. Believe it or not the car makes a different sound when under acceleration with no filter. I guess it would sound like a K&N. I used a local shop because the dealers are 40+ miles of driving away (1+ hrs drive time here) I actually live north of tampa. Hard to get to the dealer

Will keep an eye on and see if I can find a local one to try driving.

Anyone there from the tampa area?

Just realized I was rambling.

Look forward to being an active member

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

juiceman wrote: I had the timing belt replaced and when they put the intakes tunnels back on they forgot to snap the Air Cleaner cover on. Believe it or not the car makes a different sound when under acceleration with no filter. I guess it would sound like a K&N.
the air intake is actually somewhat designed like a muffler to help reduce noise. you are correct that it K&N will sound different if you get the cone replacement and have the filter box removed.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”