J30 tiptronic.....

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

i think we could use this system in the J30

http://www.ess-racing.com/

using the (set coast) button to downshift and the (res. accel) button to upshift.

i plodded my way through the factory manual and found all of the connections that would be required. In my opinion, this would be ridiculously cool, the closest we can get to a manual transmission without actually bolting one in. there would be 16 spliced connections, 4 on the ECU, 6 on the ATCU, 2 on the ASCD, and 4 power leads.

let me know what you guys think! As good or better than the JWT TCU? ( do they have that for a J30, i forget!)

eric

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

WOW!

What a cool idea!

BTW: I think there is a J30 ECU, but I am not positive and will let the resident J30 gurus answer that one.

Fred....:)

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

That's a pretty awesome setup IMO, and the price is not that steep either.

Jim Sottosanti
Car: Guitar collector..Martin and Taylor acoustics, Fender and Gibson Electrics

This just sounds too good to be true.....has anyone in NICO installed this innovation?

Eswift

dont think so, as far as i know its only previously been installed in the 300zx, possibly someone on http://www.twinturbo.net has put it in their Z. i have emailed the guy who designed the system, and he was very helpful as well as interested in seeing it in a J30 too

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

i think it's a cool idea and it most likely would work. but honestly i see it as buying an expensive gauge for you tranny. you can manually shift now with a/t, it just isn't as easy as pressing a button. i would rather spend the money on a tcu that has been updated by JWT. i'm sure they can do something to improve shift times much like that hks apc that was discussed in the infiniti technical section.

Eswift

you CAN shift manually now, but a shift like that takes much more time. as far as i can tell, as soon as you push that button, shift solenoid A or B activates, (as long as the control unit makes sure you wont downshift into redline). Thus, your shift is completed as fast as is mechanically possible (based on the transmission's mechanical limitations). mayhem- what is this hks apc, and where is the infiniti technical section?

Mayhem_J30

Eswift wrote:you CAN shift manually now, but a shift like that takes much more time. as far as i can tell, as soon as you push that button, shift solenoid A or B activates, (as long as the control unit makes sure you wont downshift into redline). Thus, your shift is completed as fast as is mechanically possible (based on the transmission's mechanical limitations). mayhem- what is this hks apc, and where is the infiniti technical section?
hks apc is a tech device a/t 300Z owners use to keep fluid pressures higher in the tranny for a quicker and stronger shift.infiniti tech section. check the very bottom of the main forum page.

Eswift

i get how that hks unit works, and it seems that this shift-at -will system and the hks unit would work very well hand-in-hand. what i want to know is how that guy in japan got the turbo engine and 5 speed transmission to fit in there. (i have a hunch that there was no turbo on the drivers side).

Mayhem_J30

Eswift wrote:i get how that hks unit works, and it seems that this shift-at -will system and the hks unit would work very well hand-in-hand. what i want to know is how that guy in japan got the turbo engine and 5 speed transmission to fit in there. (i have a hunch that there was no turbo on the drivers side).

refresh me on what you're talking about concerning a turbo motor and M/T

Eswift

some JDM "nissan leopard j. ferie" pics i found a while back, looks like some type of turbo VG30DE series engine, with a short shift 5 speed installed as well.

maybe these links will work:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/group....jpg?

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/group....jpg?

if they dont work , someone let me know how to do it correctly

Mayhem_J30

just link to the yahoo page. then we'll probably have to register.

Eswift

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/j30club/

pictures are under "mol's 94 J30" and are the last two pictures after the old pics of my car.

Mayhem_J30

duh, it's the yahoo group that i'm already a member of. :dunce guess my cookies were jacked or something. did molmol move over to NICO? I wonder if he has any more pics. I would like to see where they put the turbos and intercoolers or if they went with a single FMIC. There's room for the FMIC or you could leave the stock intercoolers if you move battery to the trunk and do some magic with the intake. There might be room for a dual pop charger setup if you remove the AC :rolleyes I plan on keeping this car for a long time so maybe one day I'll have the kind of money I would need to play around like that.

Eswift

well, unfortunately, I am molmol, so we dont have any more pictures. and yes, im at nico now, in case you were pondering that too! the questions you asked are ones ive been asking myslef, and have been slowly compiling answers. To me, the best idea would be to move the battery to the trunk, use stock-style intercoolers, and use the extra space for plumbing or air pipe and for dual intakes. The reason i go for dual intercoolers is that the J30 radiator would already be slightly inadequate for the TT's extra heat, but it can be assumed that the J30's larger overall engine compartment allieviates this problem. A FMIC exchaning 300 degree air right in front of the radiatior would be bad news, unless a new, larger radiator were installed. The only concern i have at all about the logistics of a setup is the turbo on the drivers side. note that in the pic that theres no air pipe going to the drivers side of that J30 (remember its right hand drive). It seems the power steering column is either in the same space or damn close to where the turbo has to be. now as soon as visteon's "steer by wire" is available, i dont know if a TT is possible in the J30. (the system is already available to manufacturers) they use it, for instance, in the "quadrasteer" on one of those new GM rigs. Oh wait, nissan had HICAS over a decade ago. yes, domestic engineers, pat youself on the back for a job well done. IN any case, the research continues, and i am figuring out electrical differences, AC differences, and other quirks with the factory manuals side by side, and from twinturbo.net.

Mayhem_J30

yeah, the steering column and all the other steering components are all right up on the drivers side exhaust manifold....right where some piping would be. I guess you noticed the 5 speed conversion as well. oh, yeah, nice to have ya molmol

Eswift

I think the TT conversion is possible, but a shop would have to be found to fabricate some custom exhaust manifolds. The turbos could be located after where the exhuast bends down, but before the pipes are on the bottom of the vehicle.

Return to “General Chat”