j30 strut source?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
norbus

Okay--I had the oil changed and the guy jacked up my car and somehow shoved the dust boot up into the body and they had to tear most of it out in order stop the new horribly annoying noise they'd created. They said a small amount was still left, but I'd have to buy a whole new strut unit to get the dust boot.

How important are these dust boots to strut life?

J30 struts are expensive! And I'm not sure if I need the strut, or strut insert, etc.

Who is the best source for these? It appears this is an OEM only item.

Norbus

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

First, they no longer put the dust boots on the struts, trust me i looked. You don't need them anyway. If you decide to keep your current struts just cut the remaining off with a knife. How did they shove the boot up into the body?

Yes, J30 struts are expensive, and so is having them replaced unless you can do it yourself. It is also likely that you need new struts although you do not realize it. Trust me, after replacing with new ones, you'll know just how bad they were/are. To check for blown shocks, pull off the wheels and look for moist spots around the top of the strut, right were the piston meets the hydraulic chamber. Also if you're getting oscillation or bounce in your ride or large dips and bumps make funny noises, it's about time.

You are also correct that your only choice is OEM tokico's. As far as the best place to purchase...people either purchase through, http://www.infinitipartsusa.com or http://www.infinitiparts.net. Wherever you go, it'll be cheaper then going to the dealer.

I would also go back to the place that changed your oil and get a better story. Were you there when it happened? I just can't see how jacking up a car would result in a damaged dust boot unless something REALLY bad happened.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

VimyJ

norbus wrote:Okay--I had the oil changed and the guy jacked up my car and somehow shoved the dust boot up into the body and they had to tear most of it out in order stop the new horribly annoying noise they'd created. They said a small amount was still left, but I'd have to buy a whole new strut unit to get the dust boot.

How important are these dust boots to strut life?

J30 struts are expensive! And I'm not sure if I need the strut, or strut insert, etc.

Who is the best source for these? It appears this is an OEM only item.

Norbus
The boots can be ordered seperately: F boots 54050-0P000 $14.29eax2, R boots 55240-0P000 $ 30.34eax2. I don't know if these "club" prices are still valid. However, I don't know whether or not the struts have to come off in order to place them. If they do, then replacing the strut assembly might be in order while you're at it. Labour, etc. Get the parts from Tom at Infiniti of Lisle in Chicagoland.

fwallen

I am sure I need struts for my '93 J-30. How much should I pay for the parts and how many hours labor should it take? Can I go to my local good mechanic, or must I drive 180 miles to the Infiniti dealer?

norbus

In looking at infinitparts.net, I see they have "strut" and "strut insert" listed--both about the same price ($250). Are both required for a strut replacement?

Thanx,

Norbus

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Also check infinitipartsusa.com. Joe or Frank can answer your questions.

ardvarkus

norbus wrote:In looking at infinitparts.net, I see they have "strut" and "strut insert" listed--both about the same price ($250). Are both required for a strut replacement?

Thanx,

Norbus
Just call Joe Tsensky at Scottsdale Infiniti...forget about the website- too much room for error.

800-955-9181

Adam

VimyJ

Here is another gem of info provided by Tom at Lisle:

"With all the parts and boots etc. combined you are looking at appx. b/w $530 to $650 in parts depending upon where you buy them from. The front are quite labor intensive while the rears are just as easy as on any other car. A competent mechanic can change all four in about 4 to 5 hours. - I work for the dealer, so I usually reccomend factory parts. Front struts come in two versions- aseemblies or cartridges. Rears only come one way.Cartridges 56105-0P927 club price$109.13eax2RF Assy 54302-0P986 $250.62LF Assy 54303-0P986 $250.62F boots 54050-0P000 $ 14.29eax2F Insulator54320-1P101 $ 47.29eax2(may not need)R Shocks 56210-0P585 $134.60eax2R boots 55240-0P000 $ 30.34eax2R insulator55322-0P000 $ 16.35eax2(may not need)I usually only reccomend the insulators if the old ones are shot, some are, some aren't. These prices are the club prices=list-25%Tom"

(This was taken some time ago from the Yahoo site which still has a fair amount of activity. I'm surprised at that, actually. I would have thought that every Infiniti owner on the web would be here exclusively. )

Please keep us informed of your progress. I'm saving my pennies for the new (fresh) suspension myself. Hope you're getting some help here.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”