J30 shocks & struts

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
professordesign
Car: J30

My dealer service people tell me I need new shocks & struts with 90,000 miles on my ’96 J30. Does an Infinity dealer have to do this work? Should I consider Koni or other aftermarket shoks & stuts?

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

you can buy the parts from everything infiniti and 25% below dealer price...then have who ever you want install them....

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

fourdrinie wrote:you can buy the parts from everything infiniti and 25% below dealer price...then have who ever you want install them....
Actually its more like 50%

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

There are no aftermarket shock and strut components for the J unless you go custom (which costs more). You're stuck with OEM.

daltonnnn
Car: 1993 Infiniti j30

Actually, from diamond J, you can use 96-99 maxima koni inserts in the front. As for the rear, I haven't measured, but either s13 or s14 240sx should work. IThis is only from my glancing from it. I think its probably from s13 though, since the m30 is able to use full s13 suspension, I think the j's rear would be it as well. If anyone would like to measure the stock rears of both, that would be good, since I have no time to take mine off and do it.

cortheal
Car: infinity j30 93

can u help a brother out from info frommy posts

c

purplesignal

Sorry to bring up this old thread. I know that I most likely will have to get oem J30 shocks and struts sooner or later. I was just curious if anyone else has had experience putting the Maxima Koni shocks in the front and the s13 struts in the rear?

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

I dont think they are talking about the entire strut assembly but rather the inserts themselves, even then you have to fabricate the mounts, etc.

I think OEM is your best bet.

acegunter
Car: 96 J30

I have 102K miles on my J30 and Rear right Strut is leaking. Does it make sense to replace all the four struts or the 2 rear ones only. Also what other parts needs replacement along with the struts.

driverdriver

acegunter wrote:I have 102K miles on my J30 and Rear right Strut is leaking. Does it make sense to replace all the four struts or the 2 rear ones only.
Welcome to NICO!!!

I would change them depending on how long you want to keep the car.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

along with the bumpers and any other rubber stuff in the area.

krewzn_along

Perfect lead-in to my question...

Planning to change all four struts soon (so I can get alignment and new tires that are really needed. Also the boots on the front rack (both torn). My last mechanic visit strongly suggested 'tie rod bushings' but I'm uncertain if they mean the steering gear or the link from the undercarriage to the lower A arm.

What I really want to ask about is all the rest of the rubber. I know it makes sense to change most/all of it while it's opened up but who can tell me from experience that it will make a difference that I can feel?

Thanks in advance ,Krewzn

driverdriver

believe me, it makes a difference. You will feel better connected to the road, especially during some spirited driving.

CYANUBIS

It took me some time to find some shocks and struts for my car on the cheap. I recommend get new shocks than used ones and replacing all 4 of them. These shocks and struts cost $1200 brand new. $1200 for shocks, just shocks!This site had two kits for sale a basic and a deluxe.Basic: http://www.trademotion.com/par...=3221Deluxe: http://www.trademotion.com/par...=3221I had them put on and got an alignment for $300 Grand total $845The car rides smooth and stays on the road now and is safe and fun to drive again. I'm not rich but it had to be done. This car has new tranny and rebuilt engine when I bought it in nice condition for $800

J30tman

this is sick. I can't believe the parts cost that much. I will deal with the way my car rides. its not real bad... just not like new.

CYANUBIS

Yeah, I know I was told in the cars younger days there were aftermarket shocks from Monroe. Monroe had stopped making them long ago. Called several Monroe shops hoping they had them sitting around collecting dust or something.On my car I had no shocks at all, none. I was riding on the springs alone. The car would do dangersous things with no shocks. It often lose contact with the ground and would try to whip around. I had to do something about it. When I was riding in the rain around 30mph I made a left turn one of the tires hit a bump while turning and did a 180 and I almost hit an old lady in her car. The car rides nice and smooth now, but I need tires because having no shocks caused the tires to "cup" and wear on the inside of the tires.

wayne_95
Car: J-30

Hi all, my '95 J30 (139,000 miles) front driver side is low and my mechanic told me it needs new struts (it's best to replace both sides at the same time). In this post, CYANUBIS mentions both strut and shock.Are they the same or different? Which one is required for J30, or both are required? I just order the struts this morning from Infinity and will be shipped out this Monday. Any response to help me change the order before it ship out will be appreciated.

billc

On the J30 the fronts are called struts and the rears are called shocks because of the way they are designed. I'm honestly not crystal clear on the difference so I won't speculate on that aspect.

For the fronts, what you need are strut cartridges or strut inserts. These replace the old dampers (commonly called shocks) when they are installed in the original strut body. For the rear, you get a whole new damper to install.

So, if you ordered strut inserts or cartridges for the front (part number 56105-0P927) you should be good to go. I doubt that you ordered the whole strut because this would probably cost a small fortune. You might want to check on whether you need need new strut boots also. These help keep dirt away from the damper rod to prolong the life of the insert.

All that said, it's not usually the case that replacing the strut inserts will change your ride height (you said that the front left was low). So please let us know how this all works out.

Flybye

Struts: The entire assembly is composed of a shock absorber and a spring. Hence why you only replace the cartridge which is the shock absorber component of the strut.

Shocks: Exactly just that. The entire assembly is only a shock absorber.

wayne_95

Thanks for your info. I ordered the strut boots. I talked to my mechanic and he clarified about the front driver side is low as I mentioned in previous post. It was my misunderstood. He said the front end of J30 is lower then the rear end, and it's normal. He said my driver side strut is bad and needs to be replaced, and even though the other front strut is not bad yet but it will be better to replace both since the car is 139,000 miles.

billc

Sounds good, let us know how hte car rides and drives after the strut replacement.

wayne_95

Well, It is not my luck. The strut came today but the Scottdale Infinity ship only one insteads of two as I ordered and paid for. I just email them and will phone them on Monday. I hope it will be taken care well. So I think it will take another another week. I will post how the ride will be after the front struts are replaced.Thanks.

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Good luck with the repair, sorry to hear didn't originally receive all your parts as planned

Please keep us posed about the difference in the ride, and if you think it was worth the investment.

Thanks!

acegunter
Car: 96 J30

I just got the rear struts replaced. The ride is just too good to be true. Handling is just great.

But i have one problem to solve. When ever the front tires hit a speedbreaker or a sudden trough on the road i can hear the sound of some metal from the front driver struts. Can anyone one shed some light on this one..

CYANUBIS

Got my tires over the weekend. Now with new suspension and tires the car rides smooth. It just glides around corners and tears up the road. Sweet!

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

acegunter.It may be a blown tension rod bushing.Mine made that thump on speed bumps and also if I rolled slow and hit the brake firm.Tension rod with bushing fixed it right up !Cheaper to just replace the bushing if you have a shop close by with a press.

wayne_95

The ride is great with new front struts. I feel almost like riding a new car.It's worth for the money I spent on new struts.

coolyun_98
Car: 1993 J30 11,7000kM

Sorry again for bringing this old topic up. I am in the process of taking out the from strut insert.

My question is... How do you take out the insert? I have already opened up the octagonal nut and I have no way of taking th old insert out. Any ideas?

sw2765j30
Car: 1995 J30

I have the directions for removal from sevice manual for 1995 J but can't attach to reply. Post an email address and I will send info. Do you need front or rear?

jertapper
Car: 1996 J30

sw2765j30 wrote:I have the directions for removal from sevice manual for 1995 J but can't attach to reply. Post an email address and I will send info. Do you need front or rear?
I could use that also. I'll post a link to it if you want to send it to me. My email is shown in my profile. Thanks.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”