J30 Security System Problem

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

With the doors locked from inside(I do not have the remote). Every time I open my passanger side door with the key the alarm goes off, this doesnt happen on the drivers side. Also the doors locked themselves a couple times in the past, I dont know if its related or not. What you guys think this might be?

Rex
Car: None

DominickJ30 wrote:With the doors locked from inside(I do not have the remote). Every time I open my passanger side door with the key the alarm goes off, this doesnt happen on the drivers side. Also the doors locked themselves a couple times in the past, I dont know if its related or not. What you guys think this might be?
A couple interesting threads in (drumroll please) Infiniti Online Mechanic (I know my sarcasm is so endearing:))

J30 specifichttp://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=10291

About the key feature not disarminghttp://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=72466

DominickJ30

So either the alarm disarm switch in the passanger door, or the door latch is what Im gathering from those posts. I will also check the hood pin.

metaverse3

Doors locking themselves = door lock timer. Similar problem exists on a maxima.

Regardless of what you hear or whom you speak to. This is the problem. This is always the problem. and always will be the problem. I resolved this problem on my own j30 and maxima by resoldering the contacts which were clearly gone when I inspected it. You will see a blob(s) of solder moving around on 2 relay power contacts on the main board. Clear the area with a desolder pump, resolder it. Issue is guaranteed to never reoccur. Buying a new unit just gives you a new solder joint on a new board. Problems will still reoccur over time.

Unlocking the door with the key and the alarm going off is a faulty door lock cylinder switch. It does not send the disarm signal.. i.e. a ground signal to the blue wire on the key cylinder switch. This is basically the same wire on the J30 lock module which disarms the factory security. It just runs to both driver and passenger lock cylinders to activate the same disarm function like a KeyFOB remote would do. Installing an aftermarket remote start, I had to tap into this wire to actiavate and deactivate the factory alarm in tandem with the aftermarket alarm. This applies to all J30's from 93-97.

Put some graphite lubricant on the key and try that, try some silicone as well, or WD-40 for that matter.. Open the door and investigate the switch physically if needed.

The door latch does zero. The door pin switch (black rubber boot on door jamb) also does zero. Hood pin ? don't even know why you would go there.. The problem always lies with that key cylinder switch. It is also a known problem on maxima's.. If you push the door pin switch in by hand and the interior lights go out, the switch works fine...

On a different note, I just fixed the J30 accessory power loss issue on my J. Typical culprit, cold solder joints and a dry contact mechanism. Unfortunately, the thing is sealed, so, I ended up buying a new unit from Joe T.. Learn to solder on this car, it is much cheaper than replacing parts..

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Good information... Where is this door lock timer?

metaverse3

To the right of the drivers side kickpanel... See attached picture..

DominickJ30

Thanks, I am suspecting the door lock cylinder switch. The electrical problems on this car piss me off.

metaverse3

Yah.. Nissan/Infiniti's are a stalwart of failing electrical circuitry with age and just poor manufacturing/QC back in the day.. Something to do with cold solder and non-rosin core..i.e. lead content... However, as these are kind of known problems, they are okay to deal with.. If your J30 dimmer switch has not failed yet..it is on it's way.. resolder is the fix..same disjointed power contacts on the circuit board..

BMW's are notorious for this with their 80's to early 90's LCD displays.. Along with them are Mercedes-Benz..especially the E-class for the digital control failing.

I used to get mad at nissan's electrical failings..after years of dealing with them..I take it with a grain of salt..

DominickJ30

Heh the dimmer switch went out already. I just bypassed the switch so I cannot dim.

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

Does the G20 use a similar lock setup? Mine sometimes will lock itself immediately after unlocking...

metaverse3

Probably so..door lock timers were installed 92 and onwards on ninfiniti's..

RobertsnewQ

metaverse3 wrote:I used to get mad at nissan's electrical failings..after years of dealing with them..I take it with a grain of salt..
I take it you've never owned a Ford product?

Wonderful soldering...

My Q has a flakey door lock timer too, but so far I've been too lazy. On mine it's the opposite problem - the inside door lock switch doesn't always lock the doors, and the driver's key switch doesn't always unlock the other doors. No big deal, but I'm 99% sure it's a cold solder joint in the relay. It seems like that is always the problem when electromechanical modules go bad...

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Dominick, I know I'm a few days late and a dollar short but the advice about the lock timer seems to be accurate.

Here's something from my J30 site...

http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/door_locks.pdf

Carlos

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”