j30 oil seal behind crankshaft sprocket does not fit.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
whatchagonnado
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30

I am hoping I do not overstay my welcome here with all these postings. Ran into a problem I can not fix without help from this forum members.

I am replacing, timing belt and components, Waterpump etc.

As long as everything was off decided to replace the oil seal directly behind the crankshaft sprocket. Has been leaking for quite some time.

I thought the seal was called CRANKSHAFT OIL SEAL. Ordered NATIONAL 223340. ( 1.299 id x 1.850 od ) When I tried to install it; it was extermely tight fit and eventually ruined the retaining spring.

The seal did not look right to me and seemed on the small side. BUT I misplaced the original seal to make comparison. BIG MISTAKE!. So bought another through Oreilly's. Told them I needed a front crankshaft seal. They had one and it was also a NATIONAL 223340. This morning after lubing the seal as I have done times before, I ruined a second seal. Not believing I am doing anything wrong I did a search for original seal and finally found it on work floor to do comparison.

The original seal is roughly 1.562 id x 2.032 od The NATIONAL replacement Seal 223340. ( 1.299 id x 1.850 od )

There are some numbers on the old seal but unable to get them to come up on a search or Rock Auto. Rock Auto is giving me the NATIONAL 223340 seal when I ask for Crankshaft forward seal. It is now clear to me the seal I am needing is called a different name. Thought it might be like a oil pump seal but no listings for the name.

Here are some identification numbers off original seal. 13510 (50B00 or 50300) NOK AH2342H

Thank you in advance for any information you might send me.

whatchagonnado

further investigating, NOK AH2342H came up. did cross reference and the seal is called Camshaft Seal. Who would have guessed? I do not have Mic's to measure over 1 inch but the specs seem to be what I need for seal.

National calls it Front Crankshaft seal. Rock Auto calls it Transfer case seal and also Camshaft seal but NOT a Crankshaft seal.

Heading to Oreilly's and get one. Will post results. Hopefully, with a smile. This project has been one headbang after another.

whatchagonnado

bought and installed in three minutes. Happy guy again.

Now waiting on the Rebuilt crankshaft pulley (harmonic Balancer) from Damper Doctor from California. This project is long overdue getting finished. But will be worth all the labor and sweat involved.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”