J30 hesitation and forum etiquette question...

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Now that we have a dedicated J30 forum, do we still post mechanical questions to the Infiniti Online Mechanic forum or here?

I posted the following in the Infiniti Online Mechanic forum but I'm also posting here to ensure the J30 guys see it. How do the moderators want us to address this issue? Post in 1 forum and link to the others or stay in one forum? It's confusing now that we have all the car-specific forums yet a single infiniti online mechanic forum...

In any case, here's the text from that post:

Hey guys, quick question. My '95 J30 (91k miles) has a recent hesitation-loss of power issue at low RPMs (2-3k). The problems seems to only occur if the car is hot. In the mornings, I never experience the problem. It only seems to happen when hot. Especially if I've driven it somewhere and start it up again (heat soak?).The hesitation feels like the car is missing, almost feels like a lack of fuel issue but the fact that it only happens while hot makes me think it may be something like a sensor (O2, knock sensor, MAF?). I've always used the BG products (44k) so I don't think it's fuel related unless a fuel injector is acting up.

I did a search and found many posts with suggestions but nobody posted back saying whether or not the issue went away.

Carlos

rwhyde
Car: '93 Infiniti J30

Carlos,

Tough question to diagnose from afar. Tell me a bit more. Does the problem clear up in a minute or two of driving or when it comes does it stay? Does the engine idle smoothly and then run poorly above idle?? All kinds of electrical components suffer failures when hot but function perfectly when cold. Probably the first thing I would do is to pull the spark plugs and see what they looked like. All the same color? Worn plugs take more to fire when hot than when cold but usually miss more at high speeds. I'd sure like to know what your hot fuel pressure is and if it is in spec. A leaking injector will leak when hot and then cause one cylinder to run poorly for a while and then it should clear up. It would work fine in the morning since the fuel may have evaporated overnight.

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

The problem seems to clear up after a while. I'm wondering if the leaking injector could be the culprit.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”