j30 Cold air intake.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Skapunk4everr
Car: 95' j30

Hey guys, I have not posted pictures of my custom CIA that i made. It is Home made, but it works quite well. Heres what i did

I removed the entire stock airbox and then i cleaned the area up. following this, i cut a square with my dremel, ( i have a big one and a little one) i used a huge disk, with a radius of about 3 inches. I was real carfeul to make the cuts straight and it was much easier that it seemed. Next, i installed my adapter that i got on ebay for the Nissan cars ( of course it did not fit all the way so i drilled two more screw holes to make sure it sealed up correctly.)

Now for hte tubing, i purchased i belive a tacoma CIA tube, that had a nice 90 degree turn in it so i could go straight from my MAF down into my wheel well. I cut the side of the tube down to the height that i wanted, and as you can see in the pictures, i could have gone shorter with the height, but i can fix this later.

i then placed electrical tape ( black) around the edges of the cuts, so they did not stich out as much, and a further thing that can be done is to some how fabricate a rubber grommet to cover the rest of the squar but i have not done this yet.

I trimmed away some of the cover conected to the bumber cover in order to fet a nice smooth airflow into my filter.

Here are the pictures, click on them to enlarge.

Through the front bumper

i did notice some gain, but i have no dyno test so i am not going to put out any numbers.

ok thats it for now, if anyone needs any special angles just feel free to email me and ill try to snap a shot.

Skapunk4everr

forgot to add that when the stock airbox is back on it you cannot see the cut area at all, wich is an added bonus.

93j30t

hey that's a good idea right there...

i'm working on a dual one (since there's two intakes) and am having some problem with making room past where the battery is.... but where did you get your tubing from?

Skapunk4everr

i actually bought the tubing off of ebay, and i treid a dual intake> wiht a dual intake, i tried it with out mounting it just the tubes ( if you knwo what i mean) i could start the car, but i could not get a steady idle and it would die. now, i dont know if you could relocate the MAF sensor to inside the front bumper sort of like the z32, but then you have to worry about making area for the tubing without choking it.

you could just go with small tubing past the battery and go straight down by the radiator...

Skapunk4everr

BTw i had a custom large metal tube to replace the stock snake like tubing, but i found a decrease in power.. so i stuck with the stock tubing. you could also try relocating the battery to the trunk?

93j30t

well i have two mafs sensors (i know u gotta have two to really do the dual) but it's hard since the front end of my car is a little crampt (see my cardomain site) but i'm working on it. i try to stay away from ebay on parts due to the bad experience's ive had with them, but i'm thinking v&t performance here in mobile will have what i'm looking for. i just need the time to do it

93j30t

what kinda paint did you use on the engine top?

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Wouldnt that filter get a tad wet in a downpour at speed ??

93j30t

the J30 is kinda high up unless u have suspension work done, i don't see it getting too wet (unless u live in the south here where it tends to flood often, then i wouldn't recommend it

yodawill2000

I dont drive through flood very often ..But I have driven through heavy rain .(4 inches in an hour)

At say forty miles an hour alot of water goes alot of places !!

Skapunk4everr

yeah i agree, like i said earlier, i can raise it up a bit more, and i live in scottsdale Arizona, we just broke out 141 day dry spell heh so i rarly worry about rain, and when it does rain its not alot of rain, and it does pretty well at staying dry.

I used the Krylon Fusion paint ( the stuff for plastic) the straight green one, its alot darker in person with out a flash on it, and it wipe dirt away really well. i put about 4 coats on each peice, abnd no sanding required because it is the fusion paint.

the dual MAF and intake is a sweet idea, but like you said cramped issues may limit its use.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

The only effective cold air intake on the J would be Z32 style. Two tubes going into one MAF.

yodawill2000

Where could one find a pic of that Dom ??

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Check the Z32 websites, or cardomain.

I doubt the intake on the passanger side would fit, but Im sure someone has tried.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”