J30 - check engine

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Grizzly49

A first time Infiniti owner - 1994 J30 (moderate mileage 157K). First week CD player went dead. Then doors locked by themselves. Last couple of weeks the check engine light will come on intermittently, not always. Seems to happen when the car warms up - after a couple miles, then goes off after a while. The last time it happened the car began to shudder, like the engine was missing. If I gave it gas it accelerated ok, but would shudder when holding speed. When I got off the freeway (ran quite rough at idle also) after a couple of stop lights the check engine light went out and it ran just fine again. The ECM displayed codes 32, 34, 51 Can all these things go bad at once? Please advise!Hope this isn't just the beginning!Great bulletin board!!!

VimyJ

Grizzly49 wrote:A first time Infiniti owner - 1994 J30 (moderate mileage 157K). First week CD player went dead. Then doors locked by themselves. Last couple of weeks the check engine light will come on intermittently, not always. Seems to happen when the car warms up - after a couple miles, then goes off after a while. The last time it happened the car began to shudder, like the engine was missing. If I gave it gas it accelerated ok, but would shudder when holding speed. When I got off the freeway (ran quite rough at idle also) after a couple of stop lights the check engine light went out and it ran just fine again. The ECM displayed codes 32, 34, 51 Can all these things go bad at once? Please advise!Hope this isn't just the beginning!Great bulletin board!!!
There are members here that have delt with the radio problem. A connection in the dash. Not a huge deal. Hasn't happened to me yet as 95 to 97 Js don't seem to suffer as much from this.

Your door lock timer is failing causing your doors to act up. Common problem and a cheap fix. There is a recent J30 thread where I posted some info I have regarding said gremlin.

Mass Air Flow sensor causing the idle problems? They have connections just aft of the air box that can jiggle around before they fail causing rough running.

You say moderate mileage. If you mean 157kms then that would be moderate. 157K miles is getting up there.

That you're having these well known problems (CD player and door lock timers)is interesting if you have miles not klicks. Usually these things happen around 50-80K miles. Either you are on your second set or yours have lasted many billions of vibrations from road travel.

Don't worry about these things too much. They are fixable. The engine can go and go so don't fret too much about that if the oil has been changed properly over the years.

The tranny? Now there is another interesting thing. The trannies are only average in durability. However, when maintained they will last a long time. I have heard stories of them lasting over 200K miles and of them failing after 40K.

The J30 is one of the most reliable and well engineered cars on the road. It also has the lowest accident fatality rate of any car ever manufactured. Ask JPalm, one of our moderators about that. Read the posts that appear here, get your codes checked out and happy motoring!

VimyJ

Grizzly49 wrote:A first time Infiniti owner - 1994 J30 (moderate mileage 157K). The ECM displayed codes 32, 34, 51 Can all these things go bad at once? Please advise!Great bulletin board!!!
The service manual that originally came with your car is a treasure trove of information. Get it if you don't already have one. I looked up the codes you cited. "32, EGR function; 34 Knock sensor circuit; 51 Injector circuit" They certainly seem to be related.

Grizzly49

Thanks VimyJ. But the next time I drive the check engine light may go out and I get a ECM code of 55. Seems intermittent and thought someone may have idea where to start looking for this gremlin? Have driven diesel cars for the last 15 years. never any malfunction codes with these!!!

VimyJ

Grizzly49 wrote:Thanks VimyJ. But the next time I drive the check engine light may go out and I get a ECM code of 55. Seems intermittent and thought someone may have idea where to start looking for this gremlin? Have driven diesel cars for the last 15 years. never any malfunction codes with these!!!
"Diagnostic Trouble Code No.55: No trouble in the above circuits." The "above curcuits" includes all the codes you mentioned among others. Seems to me that you have an intermittent failure. The most likely culprit IMHO would be EGR centered. Hopefully, one of the more learned here can describe the literal nuts and bolts of what maybe happening.

VimyJ

Unfortunately, you're stuck with me until someone with an expert opinion shows up. From what I understand, the ERG tube is known to be a common problem on the 3L V6. Gets plugged or something. Please, someone! Help our fellow club member out!:wavey

Professor_Mike

The EGR tubes do plug up at the connection to the plenum. Fairly easy to correct, just remove the tubes and clean out. I suggest you check this first, clear other codes and see what happens.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”