ITT: I enjoy my 2nd amendment rights

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Title says it all. First time owning a firearm. I've been bouncing ideas off Ryan for a bit. I got to shoot a few used handguns to check the feel. I basically decided early on that a 9mm would be a good choice for my first gun as the ammunition is cheap, making it easier for me to utilize the range more often. I still haven't fired it yet, but that is because the range at the shop was closing shortly after my purchase. It'll probably be a short while before I can hit the range because I am still waiting for my license to carry, so the handgun cannot legally leave my residence (unless one of my licensed friends in the area comes over). It seems likely that I will be frequenting the section now and asking tons of questions as I try to improve my skill.

So, I ended up purchasing the XDM-9:

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

solid buy.

I <3 my XD-45

you should be able to transport the gun and ammo in a car...I'm not sure on IN's laws on it..but give the thread a day or so and Repo is likely to chime in and set ya straight on their laws.

if you want some good XD advice though, I'd suggest checking out xdtalk.com

I don't like how the site is after the redesign, but the members are a great group. I'm on there as...i think DevJames..I seldom post now though as it just kinda hurts my eyes to really browse the forums.

Bwana
Car: Denali

Very nice!

Nothing beats time at the range, putting rounds through the gun. Nothing. Learn proper techniques and commit them to muscle memory by repetition. My advice with an XD would be to put a ton of rounds through it, learn to shoot it well, then move up to a higher quality, better shooting firearm. They're good guns for that purpose.

Mr1der

damnit Aaron...the XDm will shoot as well as the Sigs and HK's for hundred or so more.

it's a great pistol...

I definitely wouldn't trade it...but you WILL develop an addiction.

for what I gave on my XD, it's a great pistol with some decent ammo. It shoots much better than me at the moment.

Bwana
Car: Denali

I guess I don't care for them because I have square hands, too short for the grip on the XD. I know they shoot well, but I've shot better guns for sure.

I'm not suggesting getting rid of it, ever. Just upgrading at some point. ;)

Mr1der

lol...fair enough.

that's a great homedefense pistol though...as for stuff you'll wanna get in the future, a good weapon light and holster.

to be honest, the XDm is a BIG gun to carry. You'll wanna look into getting something smaller in the future I'm sure...

of the good holsters for CC, inside the waistband Crossbreed Super Tuck is excellent. It's incredibly ugly, but comfortable, durable and hides very good once you adjust it and find a good position to wear it.

holsters get to be kinda tricky...don't go the cheap route and get an uncle mike's or something for carry...it'll uncomfortable and turn you off to the idea if you're gonna wear the gun all day sitting and standing and bending and crouching.

AppleBonker

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about carrying at this point. Once I develop some skill, that might change. Right now it seems like it would be hazardous for me to be carrying since I don't feel proficient enough. I am planning on taking some courses when I can find them, as I'm sure it wont hurt and they really don't appear to cost that much.

As far as the laws go, I've browsed to see what I can and can't do so far. It looks like I'm actually only allowed to transport the gun in a car or on my person from the store I purchased it to my residence and from my residence to a repair facility. Those are the only exceptions to the not transporting without a license to carry. It seems that the range is out until my license gets delivered. However, I have talked to a few friends in the area who are licensed and I could probably convince one of them to pick me up and go to the range (he's actually a cop and could probably offer at least a few pointers as well). Also, my next two weekends are kinda chewed up with plans, so I wont have much time anyway.

I have been browsing xdtalk here and there. Haven't signed up yet, but I don't have any major questions or comments, so I'm cool with just lurking for now.

I did get a chance to handle the XDM-45 today. Obviously the shop didn't have any used that they would allow to be fired, so that wasn't an option. I'm sure I'll get hooked and have to fight the urge to purchase various other firearms. But for now, I'm content on just trying to come as close to mastering this one weapon.

Otto.

Congrats! Tell us how well it shoots.

93coupe
Car: crap

Baller status. 19+1 blows my mind. Congrats, brother. I am usually not one to like bitone pistols but the more I look at the XDm, the more I like the polished slide.

So, do they make the XDm in the 4'' barrel? If so, bitone .40 cal will be purchased withing the next couple of months. If not, I'll move down my list. I am trying to buy one pistol off my list of wants every two months or so.

Are you comfortable with the stock backstrap or did you switch it?

I get to pick up my sub compact xd tomorrow. Woot!

AppleBonker

I don't believe there is any XDm that comes with a 4" barrel. I believe you're limited to 3.8" or 4.5". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The medium backstrap feels solid in my hands. My hands aren't small, but I really don't think they're large enough to require the larger backstrap. I do, however, have a feeling the small will come in handy if any chicks want to go to the range.

You mean the lady's XD9? How long is the wait period? That is one thing Indiana does well. About 10 minutes after I told the shop I wanted to pick up the gun, it was paid for and I was walking out the door, gun-in-hand. I don't even think there is a limit on number of firearms you can purchase. I'll have to ask next time I go in there.

93coupe

When I say 4" I mean the 3.8. I just looked it up, next purchase will be 3.8" xdm40 possibly bitone.

Yeah, tomorrow I will be picking up her 9. I'm pretty excited. It's my first 9mm (which hurt to buy) and my first subcompact and her first gun.

7 day waiting period. You can only buy one hand gun/assault rifle every 30 days unless you're a collector. I just got the paperwork to become a collector. Screw this thirty day bs, 7 is already too long.

AppleBonker

I'll have to check the Indiana law, but when he was calling in the background check he definitely said "one" at some point. I can only imagine that was the response to "how many is the customer buying?". The no waiting period is awesome. I've been in that store for a few hours now and I've already seen no less than five people walk in, purchase, and carry the gun right out. It's a good feeling.

93coupe

I'm jelly. Time to move.

AppleBonker

One of the benefits of living in a red state. If only the Indiana and Maryland had reciprocity on licenses. Then I'd invite you over and we could wander around carrying... Though, I wonder how it works for out-of-state folks when it comes to purchasing. I'd be interested to see if you could walk in like I did and walk out with a gun the same day.

93coupe

Well, when I visit, I will try to buy a gun and we will find out!

Mr1der

[quote="93coupe]I am usually not one to like bitone pistols but the more I look at the XDm, the more I like the polished slide.

[/quote]

Don't be a hater

a perk to having the stainless slide is that it's usually less likely to show holster wear.

AppleBonker

I love the look of the black XD. But my XDm is sexy as hell.

Mr1der

Bitone ftw.

I love anything stainless...especially revolvers.

they're even better when nickel plated though.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

James how do you like your Kahr?

Mr1der

shoots great for the size>

trigger isn't resetting right though. need to call them while i have time now

snwbrdr435

Well I applied for my LTC after jumping through the hoops known as MA gun licensing. Meet with my police chief he tells me 4-6 weeks ok that is usually the norm. Well I just talked to another one of my friends who applied and he said he was told that the "State ran out of money to print LTCs" f*** wonderful upon some digging on my local firearm forums I have found that it might be true. GOAL is currently looking into it hopefully they can get something done just like 4 months ago when the state ran out of f*** fa-10 forms. Facepalm MA

AppleBonker

Ouch. My license to carry arrived in 11 calendar days from when I first started the application process. In fact, I think I received the license only about 3 business days after the state had received all of my documentation (one of those 11 calendar days was the fourth of July).

Mr1der

MA is in the top three of the least gun friendly states.

HA is pretty wack.

and then there's CA...

AppleBonker

Don't forget IL and WI. The only two states that don't allow ANY carry.

Mr1der

that's why I <3 living in the south...

if you have a permit in most of the states here, it's good in the others. except Arkansas, they're dumb.

AppleBonker

Feel free to visit Indiana. We recognize all other states' carry permits/licenses.

snwbrdr435

^ except MA, :frown:

AppleBonker

Indiana accepts a carry license from Mass. If you can carry legally in any state in the nation, you can carry legally in Indiana. The only thing I question is the states like Arizona and Alaska (I think?) that don't require a carry license. Not sure how that works in Indiana.

snwbrdr435

^ Same with VT

Well the BS with printing licenses in MA was not true. It seems that the licenseing officers in worcester thought it would be a good idea to tell law abiding citizens that instead of actually sending in the paperwork. :tisk:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”