It's time for me to own a PC

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
RCA

Not in the sense of Mac vs Windows but an actual desktop.

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 6000 with out any goodies since I graduated high school in 04'. It had 1200x800 res, no graphics, no wifi, 40GB HDD, 1.3 Celeron, Windows XP and the battery hasn't been any good for about 2 years. So essentially I was using a laptop without a battery like a desktop. I finally decided to get a decent upgrade. To replace the portability of the laptop I went out and bought an Asus 1001-P (netbook).

And for the power end of the spectrum I bought an Acer Aspire M3800. It was a refurb from Micro Center (local PC mega store) and sold for $320 or so. For me it's biggest selling points were the DDR3 memory, gigabit ethernet and price. And because I wanted to eventually use 3 monitors I went out and got a Zotec GeForce 9400GT 512MB. I could of went for a better card but I didn't want to upgrade my 300w power supply. So all in all I spent $400 for the PC and card.

It was nice upgrading my first PC. Way better then upgrading netbooks and laptops... so much more room! Also because the Acer's mobo has a 775 socket, I can upgrade as I need all the way up to a Q9550S with out needing to change my power supply. I can also upgrade to 2x 4GB DDR3 on top of the 2x 2GB sticks. Or I can keep the processor, keep 2GBs of ram, transfer any goodies to a new machine I am building and use the Acer as a home theater PC.

My first desktop purchase required my first monitor purchase. I went with the ASUS VH236HL-P 23". I got it for $200 shipped to my door. The screen is absolutely beautiful. It out shines my plasma by a mile. I turned down the brightness just so when both were on, the monitor doesn't look that much brighter than the plasma.

Unfortunately the the height adjustment for the monitor didn't go low enough to clear the 42" tv on my desk currently, so I eventually made a piece of furniture to lift the TV over the monitor so now both can be in use at the same time. NICO, I need furniture help...

Finished product:

n00b240
Car: '03 6MT

Not a bad deal. I Love Microcenter, good deals to be had damn near every time you walk in. I noticed you said you wanted to go triple monitor. How do you plan on doing that? dual video cards (does the mobo support it?) or one of those triple/dualhead2go things. Lastly does the mobo have usb 3.0? Ive been seeing those pop up

Welcome to the desktop world. Tis quite nice, will be even nicer with the 2nd monitor. Although every day I wish I had a third monitor :biggrin:

RCA

Unfortunately the mobo doesn't have usb 3.0
The cheapest desktop available with usb 3.0 didn't have gigabit ethernet or DDR3 and it was $250 more. I gave up on the usb 3.0.

As for the third monitor, I am not 100% sure the mobo will accept a 2nd card. I heard about a way to use VGA to USB in order to get that third screen with out a 2nd card.

If any one on NICO has any tips on getting that third monitor let me know!

n00b240

One of my friends is rockin a VGA to USB 2.0 adapter. IMO I need the screen to render a lil faster. I dunno how slow it is, just that I could tell the difference between his USB screen and the VGA screen, and After some time, Im sure I would get annoyed. He couldnt tell the difference

RCA

Well if I decided to use a 3rd screen it is because I have 2 Asus monitors and I would only be using the plasma to entertain others. I don't need it for anything else really.

n00b240

Cool, then the VGA to USB adaptor would be your best bet

Return to “Computers / Electronics”