It's Growling...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

2013 Rogue AWD with 149k miles. Maintained well. CVT fluid changed every 30-50k with NS-2.

This thing has been a champ up till yesterday. Suddenly started making a growling sound from standstill till the TC locks up. Then there is a very low growling sound when the accelerator is pressed. No issues at speed. Coming from center of vehicle. I can hear it best with the windows closed. No unusual vibration. No Engine or CVT codes stored per CVTz50.

I hope it's the driveshaft and not the CVT? Could not do a video today but I doubt it would properly pick up the sound anyway. Anyone have similar symptoms? Thank you team...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That sounds like the fluid coupling or driveshaft center bearing and not the tranny. Drop the driveshaft so it's FWD and see if the noise quits.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:30 am
That sounds like the fluid coupling or driveshaft center bearing and not the tranny. Drop the driveshaft so it's FWD and see if the noise quits.
Hey there Vstar - It took me some time (and about 400 miles) to get to it but I checked the driveline and carrier bearing and everything was solid. There is a small leak at the transfer case but the fluid was fine.

It turned that the alternator coupler/clutch had seized. Apparently when this happens it causes the idler pulley to jump up and down and bang around. The idler pulley is physically low enough in the vehicle anatomy that it sounded to me like it was coming from the driveline.

Coupler, idler and serpentine belt replaced and noise is totally gone.

Have you ever seen this?

Paul

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes, it's pretty common, but I've never heard of the noise being "referred" to the middle of the car. That part is weird. :crazy:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Just curious is this an easy repair for the weekend warrior? :blush:

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

casperfun wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm
Just curious is this an easy repair for the weekend warrior? :blush:
Hey Casper. It requires a special tool to get the pulley off. I didn't have the tool or the time so I had my favorite trusted local shop do it.

Took him 2.3 hrs to confirm the cause, then do the pulley, belt and tensioner and check the transfer case (my request).

Vstar could probably advise on this.
Last edited by phmichel on Fri May 27, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:31 pm
Yes, it's pretty common, but I've never heard of the noise being "referred" to the middle of the car. That part is weird. :crazy:
I was a diesel mechanic 35+ years ago. I guess my skills are fading. ;)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

phmichel wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 pm
It requires a special tool to get the pulley off. I didn't have the tool or the time so I had my favorite trusted local shop do it.

Took him 2.3 hrs to confirm the cause, then do the pulley, belt and tensioner and check the transfer case (my request).

Vstar could probably advise on this.
The alternator clutch is no different from changing any similar pulley. How practical it is to do it in a driveway depends greatly on what tools you have. We generally don't change them, we replace the alternator. The tensioners are a complete PITA on the Rogue because the upper mounting bolt is covered up, Motor and Chilton both allow about 2 hours for the job and it will be much worse without a lift.

Return to “Rogue Forum”