It just suddenly stopped

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Theswed
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano S AWD

I have a 2007 Murano. My wife was driving home from work and abruptly the vehicle come to a dead stop while the engine is running.

She shut off the engine and restarted it and finished the drive home. I have never heard of a vehicle doing such thing without the motor dying first.

I checked all fluids and they were all fine. Nothing burnt, no metal shavings, and no smell. There is a metal noise that is similar to a helicopter or a playing card in a bicycle wheel. I haven't driven any distance besides I checked to see if it would engage in drive and reverse. Which it did with no problem.

I am at lost. Any ideas.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Your Murano is equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). What you've described is perfectly normal for this transmission. When a Nissan CVT overheats it goes into safe mode (aka limp mode). This is supposed to prevent serious damage to the CVT.

Nissan's CVT's from that time period are known to be problematic, so Nissan extended the warranty on them (which has now expired). Is this the original CVT or a replacement?

Nissan recommends that their CVT's be serviced every 30,000 miles. When was the last time a qualified mechanic serviced the CVT?

Theswed

It is the original CVT and it hasn't been serviced that I know of. Since I bought it I have put on close to 20,000 miles and I haven't serviced. The current mileage is at 144,000 give or take.

Thought it might be the CVT but really hoping it isn't cause then it isn't worth to fix anymore.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Just because it stopped does not mean its broke.
It could have over heated.

I currently do not own a CVT tranny car but I understand they come with a cooler. If its clogged due to lack of fluid changes = instant overheat.
A fluid change might be very helpful in your case so this does not become a regular occurrence.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

PalmerWMD is partially correct, some models do have an aux cooler on the CVT. While I can't speak for the Muranos, the base model Rogue's do not have one, so it's possible your base model Murano may not have one.

You could have a CVT flush done by any mechanic familiar with CVT's (it's not necessary to have the dealership do this), but there's no guarantee this will fix the problem. Given the details you've provided your CVT may be on it's way out.

Theswed

Just found out it is the front differential. Cost more to replace than what it is worth.

Return to “Murano Forum”