ISO some brake pad advice

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
gfr92y
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SL L4-2.5L (QR25DE)

My 2018 2.5L Altima with 150,000 miles needs new brake pads. Mostly local driving and occasionally a 3-hour highway, but that's it these days. I was thinking about the ones below from RockAuto.

If you have an opinion about those below or have a better recommendation, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
Options.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Pretty much anything you get from Rock will be reputable, but be aware that the OE pads are organic and changing to ceramic will require cutting the rotors. There's also a bedding procedure which needs to be done for ceramics, because the material actually needs to melt and microscopically coat the rotors. Similarly, if you ever change back from ceramic to organic or metallic, the rotors should be cut again to shed that ceramic skin. I like ceramics and use them on both our '13 L33 and '04 L31, but they do have that idiosyncrasy which you need to be aware of to get the best performance out of them.

gfr92y

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:21 am
Pretty much anything you get from Rock will be reputable, but be aware that the OE pads are organic and changing to ceramic will require cutting the rotors. There's also a bedding procedure which needs to be done for ceramics, because the material actually needs to melt and microscopically coat the rotors. Similarly, if you ever change back from ceramic to organic or metallic, the rotors should be cut again to shed that ceramic skin. I like ceramics and use them on both our '13 L33 and '04 L31, but they do have that idiosyncrasy which you need to be aware of to get the best performance out of them.

OK. So, I go to NAPAOnline and they offer 19 different pads; 18 are ceramic and 1 is semi-metallic (see below).

According to the Nissan shop, the rotors do not need to be replaced. A second brake tech who was unaware of the recommendation of the first agreed and my service advisor, a former shop tech, also agreed.

I have to ask...

If the pads on the car are organic and I want to replace them with ceramic pads, on a scale of 1-10, how important is it that I replace* the rotors.

* I do not resurface rotors.
NAPA.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I didn't say "replace", I said "cut".

gfr92y

gfr92y wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:26 am
OK. So, I go to NAPAOnline and they offer 19 different pads; 18 are ceramic and 1 is semi-metallic (see below).

According to the Nissan shop, the rotors do not need to be replaced. A second brake tech who was unaware of the recommendation of the first agreed and my service advisor, a former shop tech, also agreed.

I have to ask...

If the pads on the car are organic and I want to replace them with ceramic pads, on a scale of 1-10, how important is it that I replace* the rotors.

* I do not resurface rotors.

I read your post. Did you read mine? You said, "OE pads are organic and changing to ceramic will require cutting the rotors" and I said, "I do not resurface rotors". Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure (99.9% sure) replacing the rotors will address your concerns about the old rotors when I switch from organic pads to ceramic pads. Let's put this Clintonian distraction aside and let me rephrase my question...

A friend, not me, has organic brake pads on his 2018 Nissan Altima that looks just like mine was told by three different reputable brake techs that he needs new brake pads. All three said something like, "Despite the high mileage since you installed new organic pads, rotors, and tires, the rotors and tires are in great shape, but the pads are pretty worn and should be replaced before too long."

Unfortunately, his PC is in the shop so he asked me to ask you the following question...

When he replaces the organic pads with ceramic pads, on a scale of 1-10, how important is it that he, not me, cuts the rotors?

Oh, I almost forgot... He asked me to thank you in advance for answering his question.

I also appreciate you.

Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When switching, if you don't do at least a light "glamor cut" on the rotors, ceramic pads will usually not bed properly and the result will be reduced fade resistance, uneven wear, or both. There's nothing wrong with a light cut on any rotor and no reason not to resurface if it has plenty of meat, just tell the machinist why you're doing it and not to get carried away. In those circumstances new rotors are a waste. If you're the sort of person who drives lightly and just throws pads at the car, the ceramic-organic issue is probably a 2. If you drive hard or with frequent heavy braking, probably an 8 or 9.

gfr92y

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:54 am
When switching, if you don't do at least a light "glamor cut" on the rotors, ceramic pads will usually not bed properly and the result will be reduced fade resistance, uneven wear, or both. There's nothing wrong with a light cut on any rotor and no reason not to resurface if it has plenty of meat, just tell the machinist why you're doing it and not to get carried away. In those circumstances new rotors are a waste. If you're the sort of person who drives lightly and just throws pads at the car, the ceramic-organic issue is probably a 2. If you drive hard or with frequent heavy braking, probably an 8 or 9.
Please accept my apologies for my last post. My sarcasm and "tone of voice" were uncalled for.

I find it remarkable that you looked past the manner in which I replied to your offer of assistance and addressed my underlying questions.

Thanks for being the "bigger man"!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No worries, I didn't take any offense. Sometimes people do things for their own reasons, and believe me, I've dealt with customers who had ideas a lot further out than insisting on new rotors. Sometimes (maybe once in 20) old rotors just won't cut right and end up warping, so if you want to head that off at the pass by putting new ones on it, that's a personal value judgment and I wouldn't presume to argue with it. But personally and professionally, my advice is visit a good machinist and don't worry so much.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”