Islamophobia in the US

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
heliochrome85
Car: 2006 G35 Sport Coupe Athens Blue/Slate with Sport and Premium Packages--SOLD

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... oo/244309/

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ ... hobia.html

A pretty damning report of the rise of Islamophobia in the US. Its pretty sad how little this is getting into the news. I wonder if it would be this obscure if people were out railing against the money grubbing heebs...

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

What is an Islamophobe?

I don't hate Islam, Christianity, etc.

That said, I'm not a huge fan. I don't see any Islamic countries that are up to our standards in regards to human rights, civil rights, public safety, domestic safety, etc. I'd prefer Islam stay in the home, alongside all other religions.

Furthermore, I would not like to see domestic and/or laws from Islamic cultures be integrated into our society.

Does that make me an Islamophobe? Totally serious question, and I'm not trying to be a d!ck.

Again, I don't have anything personal against those who follow Islam. I have a problem with the culture in general.

heliochrome85
Car: 2006 G35 Sport Coupe Athens Blue/Slate with Sport and Premium Packages--SOLD

while i can write a much larger post at somepoint in the near future, id just like to quickly say that the problem with its perception in this country is that people are unable to differentiate the religion from the intrinsic cultural quirks of the countries where islam is practiced.

burkas for example are part of the beduin cultures common in afghanistan, iran, saudi, the gulf. these cultures predate islam by thousands of years. the religion itself does not demand burkas, but rather that a woman be dressed modestly by covering her hair.

as for the rest of your post, feel free to AIM/message me as you see fit since this isnt the right place to discuss such a matter per the rules. id be happy to address any questions you are having. i think you will find that it takes alot to offend me. :D

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

heliochrome85 wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... oo/244309/

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ ... hobia.html

A pretty damning report of the rise of Islamophobia in the US. Its pretty sad how little this is getting into the news. I wonder if it would be this obscure if people were out railing against the money grubbing heebs...
Perhaps this is why?

Subject: UNBELIEVABLE AND WRITTEN BY A MUSLIM

These facts are amazing, but consider what could happen should they start to get educated, it could be fantastic for the world as it would give them a bigger prospective of life and the world we all live in. I have attached a brief bio of the good Doctor for your reference. He once was a writer for the Vancouver Sun.

UNBELIEVABLE AND WRITTEN BY A MUSLIM
It sure makes interesting reading... particularly coming from a Pakistani official.
By: Dr Farrukh Saleem
The writer is the Pakistani Executive Director of the Center for Research and Security Studies, a think tank established in 2007, and an Islamabad-based freelance columnist.
Why are Jews so powerful?

There are only 14 million Jews in the world; seven million in the Americas , five million in Asia, two million in Europe and 100,000 in
Africa . For every single Jew in the world there are 100 Muslims.

Yet, Jews are more than a hundred times more powerful than all the Muslims put together.
Ever wondered why?

Jesus of Nazareth was Jewish.
Albert Einstein, the most influential scientist of all time and TIME magazine's 'Person of the Century', was a Jew.
Sigmund Freud -- id, ego, superego -- the father of psychoanalysis was a Jew.
So were Karl Marx, Paul Samuelson and Milton Friedman.

Here are a few other Jews whose intellectual output has enriched the whole humanity:

Benjamin Rubin gave humanity the vaccinating needle.
Jonas Salk developed the first polio vaccine.
Albert Sabin developed the improved live polio vaccine.
Gertrude Elion gave us a leukemia fighting drug.
Baruch Blumberg developed the vaccination for Hepatitis B.

Paul Ehrlich discovered a treatment for syphilis (a sexually transmitted disease).
Elie Metchnikoff won a Nobel &! nbsp;Prize in infectious diseases.
Bernard Katz won a Nobel Prize in neuromuscular transmission.
Andrew Schally won a Nobel in endocrinology (disorders of the endocrine system; diabetes, hyperthyroidism) .
Aaron Beck founded Cognitive Therapy (psychotherapy to treat mental disorders, depression and phobias).

Gregory Pincus developed the first oral contraceptive pill.
George Wald won a Nobel for furthering our understanding of the human eye.
Stanley Cohen won a Nobel in embryology (study of embryos and their development) .
Willem Kolff came up with the kidney dialysis machine.

Over the past 105 years, 14 million Jews have won 15-dozen Nobel Prizes while only three Nobel Prizes have been won by 1.4 billion
Muslims (other than Peace Prizes).

Why are Jews so powerful?
Stanley Mezor invented the first micro-processing chip.
Leo Szilard developed the first nuclear chain reactor;
Peter Schultz, optical fibre cable;
Charles Adler, traffic lights;
Benno Strauss, Stainless steel;
Isador Kisee, sound movies;
Emile Berliner, telephone microphone;
Charles Ginsburg, videotape recorder.

Famous financiers in the business world who belong to Jewish faith include
Ralph Lauren (Polo),
Levis Strauss (Levi's Jeans),
Howard Schultz (Starbuck's) ,
Sergey Brin (Google),
Michael Dell (Dell Computers),
Larry Ellison (Oracle),
Donna Karan (DKNY),
Irv Robbins (Baskins & Robbins) and
Bill Rosenberg (Dunkin Donuts).

Richard Levin, President of Yale University, is a Jew. So are Henry Kissinger (American secretary of state), Alan Greenspan (Fed chairman under Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush), Joseph Lieberman (US Senator), Madeleine Albright (American secretary of state), Casper
Weinberger (American secretary of defense), Maxim Litvinov ( USSR foreign Minister), David Marshal ( Singapore 's first chief minister), Issac Isaacs (governor-general of Australia ), Benjamin
Disraeli (British statesman and author), Yevgeny Primakov (Russian PM), Barry Goldwater (US Senator), Jorge Sampaio (president of Portugal ), John Deutsch (CIA director), Herb Gray (Canadian deputy PM), Pierre Mendes (French PM), Michael Howard (British home
secretary), Bruno Kreisky (chancellor of Austria ) and Robert Rubin (American secretary of treasury).

In the media, famous Jews include Wolf Blitzer (CNN), Barbara Walters (ABC News), Eugene Meyer (Washington Post), Henry Grunwald
(editor-in-chief Time), Katherine Graham (publisher of The Washington Post), Joseph Lelyveld (Executive editor, The New York Times), and Max Frankel (New York Times).

Can you name the most beneficent philanthropist in the history of the world? The name is George Soros, a Jew, who has so far donated a colossal
$4 billion most of which has gone as aid to scientists and universities around the world.

Second to George Soros is Walter Annenberg, another Jew, who has built a hundred libraries by donating an estimated $2 billion.

At the Olympics, Mark Spitz set a record of sorts by winning seven gold medals.
Lenny Krayzelburg is a three-time Olympic gold medalist.
Spitz, Krayzelburg and Boris Becker (Tennis) are all Jewish.

Did you know that Harrison Ford, George Burns, Tony Curtis, Charles Bronson, Sandra Bullock, Billy Crystal, Woody Allen, Paul Newman,
Peter Sellers, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Douglas, Ben Kingsley, Kirk Douglas, Goldie Hawn, Cary Grant, William Shatner, Jerry Lewis and
Peter Falk are all Jewish?

As a matter of fact, Hollywood itself was founded by a Jew. Among directors and producers, Steven Spielberg, Mel Brooks, Oliver Stone,
Aaron Spelling ( Beverly Hills 90210), Neil Simon (The Odd Couple), Andrew Vaina (Rambo 1/2/3), Michael Man (Starsky and Hutch), Milos
Forman (One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest), Douglas Fairbanks (The Thief of Baghdad ) and Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters) are all Jewish.

So, why are Jews so powerful?
..................................................................@@@ .................................................................
Answer: EDUCATION.
Why are Muslims so powerless?

There are an estimated 1,476,233,470 Muslims on the face of the planet: one billion in Asia, 400 million in Africa, 44 million in Europe and six million in the Americas . Every fifth human being is a Muslim; for every single Hindu there are two Muslims, for every Buddhist there are two Muslims and for every Jew there are one hundred Muslims.

Ever wondered why Muslims are so powerless?
Here is why: There are 57 member-countries of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), and all of them put together have around
500 universities; one university for every three million Muslims. The United States has 5,758 universities and India has 8,407.

In 2004, Shanghai Jiao Tong University compiled an 'Academic Ranking of World Universities' , and intriguingly, not one university from Muslim-majority states was in the top-500.

As per data collected by the UNDP, literacy in the Christian world stands at nearly 90 per cent and 15 Christian-majority states have a literacy rate of 100 per cent.

A Muslim-majority state, as a sharp contrast, has an average literacy rate of around 40 per cent and there is no Muslim-majority state with
a literacy rate of 100 per cent.

Some 98 per cent of the 'literates' in the Christian world had completed primary school, while less than 50 per cent of the 'literates' in the Muslim world did the same.

Around 40 per cent of the 'literates' in the Christian world attended university while no more than two per cent of the 'literates' in the Muslim world did the same.

Muslim-majority countries have 230 scientists per one million Muslims. The US has 4,000 scientists per million and Japan has 5,000 per million.
In the entire Arab world, the total number of full-time researchers is 35,000 and there are only 50 technicians per one million Arabs. (in the Christian world there are up to 1,000 technicians per one million).

Furthermore, the Muslim world spends 0.2 per cent of its GDP on research and development, while the Christian world spends around five per cent of its GDP.

Conclusion: The Muslim world lacks the capacity to produce knowledge!

Daily newspapers per 1,000 people and number of book titles per million are two indicators of whether knowledge is being diffused in a society.

In Pakistan, there are 23 daily newspapers per 1,000 Pakistanis while the same ratio in Singapore is 360. In the UK , the number of book
titles per million stands at 2,000 while the same in Egypt is 20.

Conclusion: The Muslim world is failing to diffuse knowledge.

Exports of high technology products as a percentage of total exports are an important indicator of knowledge application. Pakistan 's export of high technology products as a percentage of total exports stands at one per cent. The same for Saudi Arabia is 0.3 per cent; Kuwait , Morocco , and Algeria are all at 0.3 per cent, while Singapore is at 58 per cent.

Conclusion: The Muslim world is failing to apply knowledge.

Why are Muslims powerless?
.....Because we aren't producing knowledge,
.....Because we aren't diffusing knowledge.,
.....Because we aren't applying knowledge.

And, the future belongs to knowledge-based societies.

Interestingly, the combined annual GDP of 57 OIC-countries is under $2 trillion.
America , just by herself, produces goods and services worth $12 trillion;
China $8 trillion,
Japan $3.8 trillion and
Germany $2.4 trillion (purchasing power parity basis).

Oil rich Saudi Arabia , UAE, Kuwait and Qatar collectively produce goods and services (mostly oil) worth $500 billion;
Spain alone produces goods and services worth over $1 trillion,
Catholic Poland $489 billion and
Buddhist Thailand $545 billion.

..... ( Muslim GDP as a percentage of world GDP is fast declining ).

So, why are Muslims so powerless?

Answer: Lack of education.

All we do is shout to Allah the whole day !!! and blame everyone else for our multiple failures!!!!!

Dr. Farrukh Saleem is the Executive Director of Center for Research and Security Studies (CRSS), a newly established (Dec 07) think-tank focusing on Pakistan’s political/economic, security, regional and environmental issues.

CRSS is taken to be the first civil society initiative to conduct independent research on various crucial issues facing Pakistan. at present, Dr. Saleem is directing CRSSs research team researching the curriculum taught in state-run schools. On the culmination of this research exercise, a lobbying effort will be undertaken to convince Pakistan’s new parliament into changing the curricula.

In-tandem with the research on curricula, CRSS is occupied arranging a national level review conference on Pakistan’s water security and management practices in March 2008. Dr Saleem was trained in the discipline of finance and has been the Sunday-columnist for The News, Pakistan’s largest English-language daily, for the past 5 years. From 1988-1994, he managed an eight figure equities portfolio invested in the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).

In 1996, he covered Pakistan, India and Iran for the Vancouver Sun, Canada’s 2nd Largest English daily. He returned to Pakistan in 1993 and managed the affairs of Dominion Stock Fund Limited (DSFL) as the CEO (DSFL is listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange). Prior to writing for The News, he wrote a weekly column for The Dawn (1996-1999). He has also been a guest columnist for the Hong Kong-based, Far Eastern Economic Review. He is married and lives in Islamabad. He has two daughters and a son.

I hope you become a world famous doctor and are able to convince others to do the same.

Would you ever accept a job offer in a hospital in Israel to treat Muslims that were injured by exploded bombs that other Muslims made?

Telcoman

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Telco, I think alot of that is changing. When I was in college, which was about 8 years ago, a large portion of my school population consisted of muslims. Education increases in value when anyone enters the crisp morning air of the first world. We've commented many times on how Islam needs to let go of its theocratic nature, but I think we should acknowledge that, at least in some sense, they are listening. It may not be at the pace we hope for, but lets remember Catholicism's theocratic history. It took them a while to let go too, and in some regards Catholicism still harbors theocratic demons today.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

stebo0728 wrote:Telco, I think alot of that is changing. When I was in college, which was about 8 years ago, a large portion of my school population consisted of muslims. Education increases in value when anyone enters the crisp morning air of the first world. We've commented many times on how Islam needs to let go of its theocratic nature, but I think we should acknowledge that, at least in some sense, they are listening. It may not be at the pace we hope for, but lets remember Catholicism's theocratic history. It took them a while to let go too, and in some regards Catholicism still harbors theocratic demons today.
I know but I'm just sayin

Go to Brooklyn & see Arabs Jews Muslims, Catholic, Italian, Polish, African Americans, Indian and almost every other ethnic group all living within a few blocks of each other in peace.

So why the f can't they do that in the middle east?

Perhaps the only ones living here are educated and they just got the f out of there?

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

stebo0728 wrote:We've commented many times on how Islam needs to let go of its theocratic nature, but I think we should acknowledge that, at least in some sense, they are listening.
Islam doesn't need to get rid of its theocratic nature. Islam is just fine. Islamic nations would do well to ditch theirs, but that's not the same thing.

Tariq, I made it through about half of the first link before I was too angry to read. Not gonna click the second.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Agreed IB

Guys, I wouldnt discount the Eschatology and religious world views of some in this country that contributes to this ‘Islamophobia.’ I don’t buy that we have to support Israel to fulfill some Eschatological reason to user in some End Time prophecy. Nor do I buy the view that all Muslims in this country are a 5th Column attempting to spread Sharia Law and their ‘Empire’ in this country. I would almost suggest that people in this country don’t necessarily have an Islamophobia problem as much as Xenophobia of people from countries we hate, predominately Middle Eastern ‘Arab’ peoples. I mean, no one stays up at night worrying that Malaysian and Indonesia immigrants in this country are trying to spread Sharia Law. Yet, these are two Muslim countries, one with a very high population. Yet we can’t say the same thing about Syrians, Saudis and Iranians. I think we really need to ask why we have some of the view that we do have and where they come from.
bud

Cold_Zero

I still dont understand people in this country. How they can look at my cousin's husband who is Lebanese and think he is some terrorlst or one of those guys? Sure he an Arab and I am sure that has ‘something to do with it.’ But is he Muslim? No, he is half Maronite Eastern Catholic and half Melkite Greek Catholic Church. The guy is effectively Roman Catholic and his ancestors have been Christian while my ancestors were Barbarians trying to sack the Roman Empire..
And don’t get me started on the Iranians. Why anyone in this country would hate the Iranians in this country is beyond me. Other than the Koreans they are good people.
/rant

telcoman

Cold_Zero wrote:Agreed IB

Guys, I wouldnt discount the Eschatology and religious world views of some in this country that contributes to this ‘Islamophobia.’ I don’t buy that we have to support Israel to fulfill some Eschatological reason to user in some End Time prophecy. Nor do I buy the view that all Muslims in this country are a 5th Column attempting to spread Sharia Law and their ‘Empire’ in this country. I would almost suggest that people in this country don’t necessarily have an Islamophobia problem as much as Xenophobia of people from countries we hate, predominately Middle Eastern ‘Arab’ peoples. I mean, no one stays up at night worrying that Malaysian and Indonesia immigrants in this country are trying to spread Sharia Law. Yet, these are two Muslim countries, one with a very high population. Yet we can’t say the same thing about Syrians, Saudis and Iranians. I think we really need to ask why we have some of the view that we do have and where they come from.
bud

Education and common sense!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/nyreg ... ml?_r=2&hp

Telcoman

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

telcoman wrote: Go to Brooklyn & see Arabs Jews Muslims, Catholic, Italian, Polish, African Americans, Indian and almost every other ethnic group all living within a few blocks of each other in peace.

So why the f can't they do that in the middle east?

Perhaps the only ones living here are educated and they just got the f out of there?
For once, the man has a point. As crass as it sounds, I agree.

And I dispute the notion that "Islamophobia" (or issues with people of color) is increasing in the US. In fact, rather than underreporting, I'd posit that the media overblows such instances, and creates documents that send people like Tariq and Isaac into a full-on freakout.

EXHIBIT A (from the same crap progtard source): "Race and Beyond: New Study: Americans Ho-Hum About Changing Demographics" - the article goes on to make it sound like being "ho-hum" is a PROBLEM. First, we're asked to be color-blind. We achieve that, and now we're supposed to "reckanize". WTF. How about Plan C: LEAVE ME ALONE and quit worrying about what I think.

EDIT: By the way, I just walked to lunch to get a salad. Quick headcount: 8 employees. 12 customers. 20 people. 18 Hispanic. 2 (counting me) are "White-ish". GUESS WHO gets panhandled coming in the door by a guy outside? Me, and the other "white-ish" guy. Waiting for my food, watching with interest, NONE of the Hispanic patrons got bothered. This is in Phoenix, not Guadalajara. Yet this is an everyday occurrence, and you don't hear anything out of Phoenix, do you? Maybe the racism is their OWN. I mean, the guy outside made a judgement call, based on appearance alone, to single out a small subset of the population to ask for spare change.

You can call it "sticking my head in the sand" (no pun intended ;) ), but here's the deal: If you haven't noticed, many Muslims look and dress differently. Wanna know a little secret? HUMAN BEINGS ARE INHERENTLY DISTRUSTFUL OF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LOOK LIKE THEM. For all you anti-Creationists, get a clue - this supports your theories 100%. Those who were suspicious of invading tribes lived longer and propogated their race. It's a no-brainer for you Evolutionists!

Here's another little secret: This isn't Pakistan. If I walked down the street in Pakistan, people would look at me differently as well - likely with suspicion and mistrust.

Like I said before, if someone violates Tariq's Constitutional rights, I'll be first in line to stand up for him as a brother and fellow American. But I don't think that's happening. For crying out loud, 38 of 50 of our Data Security Team are H1-B visa holders, making twice what I make. C'mon, homey.

I'm all for continuous improvement, but faux outrage is beneath you.

mattblancarte

heliochrome85 wrote:while i can write a much larger post at somepoint in the near future, id just like to quickly say that the problem with its perception in this country is that people are unable to differentiate the religion from the intrinsic cultural quirks of the countries where islam is practiced.

burkas for example are part of the beduin cultures common in afghanistan, iran, saudi, the gulf. these cultures predate islam by thousands of years. the religion itself does not demand burkas, but rather that a woman be dressed modestly by covering her hair.

as for the rest of your post, feel free to AIM/message me as you see fit since this isnt the right place to discuss such a matter per the rules. id be happy to address any questions you are having. i think you will find that it takes alot to offend me. :D
My problem is when the intrinsic quirks become law and people no longer can choose. I definitely don't want to go into a tit-for-tat over Islam, but I appreciate the offer. :)

I'm curious as to where the line exists between disliking and phobia. The articles posted make me feel like the line has been drawn in the wrong place.
IBCoupe wrote:Islam doesn't need to get rid of its theocratic nature. Islam is just fine. Islamic nations would do well to ditch theirs, but that's not the same thing.
Yep. Practice whatever religion you want, but keep it out of government.

telcoman

mattblancarte wrote:
heliochrome85 wrote:while i can write a much larger post at somepoint in the near future, id just like to quickly say that the problem with its perception in this country is that people are unable to differentiate the religion from the intrinsic cultural quirks of the countries where islam is practiced.

My problem is when the intrinsic quirks become law and people no longer can choose. I definitely don't want to go into a tit-for-tat over Islam, but I appreciate the offer. :)

I'm curious as to where the line exists between disliking and phobia. The articles posted make me feel like the line has been drawn in the wrong place.
IBCoupe wrote:Islam doesn't need to get rid of its theocratic nature. Islam is just fine. Islamic nations would do well to ditch theirs, but that's not the same thing.
Yep. Practice whatever religion you want, but keep it out of government.

+! :dblthumb:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Keep in mind, those two sources are heavily-slanted towards progressiveness bordering on zealotry.

And, despite it's innocuous, even positive-sounding descriptor, "progressiveness" isn't exactly as nifty you'd think.

This country is just fine. Not perfect, lots of room for improvement, but there's no way in hell we're "spiraling into Islamophobia". That's some Jesse Sharpton - style baiting, and it's disgusting.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

AZhitman
Administrator

Al-Marayati wrote:"I think we, as Muslims, are blessed by God to live in America. Besides the toxicity in our culture, we see the greatness of America. We see America as our home."
Amen, brother. Amen.

We've got your back. And your silly brother Tariq's, too. ;)
LA TImes wrote:But if you watch TV or movies or read, say, the op-ed page of the New York Times — never mind left-wing blogs — you'll hear much more open bigotry toward evangelical Christians (in blogspeak, the "Taliban wing of the Republican Party") than you will toward Muslims.
Mmmm-hmm. Reverse political correctness run amok.

Chill with the outrage, we're all victims (if we CHOOSE to be). :poke:

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

AZhitman wrote:
LA TImes wrote:But if you watch TV or movies or read, say, the op-ed page of the New York Times — never mind left-wing blogs — you'll hear much more open bigotry toward evangelical Christians (in blogspeak, the "Taliban wing of the Republican Party") than you will toward Muslims.
Mmmm-hmm. Reverse political correctness run amok.

Chill with the outrage, we're all victims (if we CHOOSE to be). :poke:
Honest question to see how people feel about it:

Do you feel differently about hatred (for lack of a better word) directed at the majority than when it is directed at a minority (not specifically race, just any minority group). Does it change things that a majority group is probably better equipped to defend itself than a minority group?

Cold_Zero

I would suspect that everyone would feel differently when the discrimination is aimed at them, regardless if they are in the Majority or Minority. We can all admit that discrimination or xenophobia is wrong according to the ideals of this country. But there are a ton of factors in our society which I think skew this issue and don’t allow for honest discussion on the topic.
To the second part of your question, is it really a matter of the majority having better tools to deal with the discrimination or is it a matter that the majority is so big and diverse that when attacks are launched against the group as a whole, they really don’t ‘land on a certain group.’ I would almost suggest that certain minority groups have better tools to handle discrimination because the group has a vested interest in confronting it.

telcoman

Cold_Zero wrote:I would suspect that everyone would feel differently when the discrimination is aimed at them, regardless if they are in the Majority or Minority. We can all admit that discrimination or xenophobia is wrong according to the ideals of this country. But there are a ton of factors in our society which I think skew this issue and don’t allow for honest discussion on the topic.
To the second part of your question, is it really a matter of the majority having better tools to deal with the discrimination or is it a matter that the majority is so big and diverse that when attacks are launched against the group as a whole, they really don’t ‘land on a certain group.’ I would almost suggest that certain minority groups have better tools to handle discrimination because the group has a vested interest in confronting it.
heliochrome85 wrote:... I wonder if it would be this obscure if people were out railing against the money grubbing heebs...
One might have a problem getting a job with comments like that on a public forum.

Ask a few teachers that have recently been fired for facebook comments

Telcoman

Cold_Zero

why would anything, that I said keep me from getting a job?

telcoman

Cold_Zero wrote:why would anything, that I said keep me from getting a job?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebo ... d=11437248

stebo0728

Thats absurd Telco. Theres no way a prospective applicant could be tied to random forum entries. Facebook maybe, but not forum posts. Say I sat down in your office for an interview, how would take my name and tie me to this forum? Sure if I said something here that warranted investigation, the authorities could probably find me the other way, but to think you could find this forum by my name is crazy.

Cold_Zero

Howie,
I must realize at your age that technology is pretty scary and that you might draw the correlation between recent news articles about posting work related items on Facebook and losing your job, but the reality is you won’t always lose your job for posting non work related stuff up on Facebook (which is the case here). I should say you should be careful about what comments, pictures and other items you post online as it may hurt your chances at being hired at a new job, promoted and yes may hurt your employment. But it is really a gray area.

Now with that said, as long as I am not posting up Non Public Information about my company, and as long as I am not saying false things as if I am representing my company (although, my company has told us they would prefer us not to comment online about the company as they communicate through official media channels) I will be ok. As I follow our Code of Conduct. Furthermore, my comments do not intersect with anything that we do as a business. I would also point out, that I said nothing derogatory to anyone or anything controversial. I do understand, Howie that you probably see me as a conservative talking about discrimination and your mind must race thinking about all the hidden things I MUST BE SAYING with my comments. But please, re-read what I said without coming to the table with your pre-conceived notions.

mattblancarte

stebo0728 wrote:Say I sat down in your office for an interview, how would take my name and tie me to this forum? Sure if I said something here that warranted investigation, the authorities could probably find me the other way, but to think you could find this forum by my name is crazy.
,(.__.), It'd be easy to figure me out.

However, I do that on purpose. I write what I mean, and if someone wants to hold that against me, they can go for it.

There are all kinds of ways to figure anon people out. Never underestimate hackers with nothing better to do. :bigthumb:

You're right, though. Most of you would be pretty tough to figure out without breaking one law or another.

mattblancarte

AZhitman wrote: Chill with the outrage, we're all victims (if we CHOOSE to be). :poke:
Yep, well said.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXwt_MGfYo[/youtube]

stebo0728

mattblancarte wrote:
stebo0728 wrote:Say I sat down in your office for an interview, how would take my name and tie me to this forum? Sure if I said something here that warranted investigation, the authorities could probably find me the other way, but to think you could find this forum by my name is crazy.
,(.__.), It'd be easy to figure me out.

However, I do that on purpose. I write what I mean, and if someone wants to hold that against me, they can go for it.

There are all kinds of ways to figure anon people out. Never underestimate hackers with nothing better to do. :bigthumb:

You're right, though. Most of you would be pretty tough to figure out without breaking one law or another.
Oh i have no doubt that anyone already on this forum could figure out who I was if they had reason enough to, and to be honest I wouldnt care if you did, as heated as we get some times I like everyone on here, and a few beers go a LONG way lol. But my point was, sitting in an office for an interview, having the name Joe Blow, its going to be next to impossible to bring up a list of forum posts Joe Blow has made, especially if he's using handles like "sexyman123" and "babebanger69".

EDIT - I guess what I am trying to say is that its quite easy to get from some internet handle to a real person, but its a whole different ball game to get from a real person to any number of anonymous handles on any number of sites.

AZhitman
Administrator

telcoman wrote:One might have a problem getting a job with comments like that on a public forum.
...kinda like your hillbilly / Arab / Okie jokes?

Selective amnesia or dementia? Is there a doctor in the house? Oh, hai there Dr. Tariq...

mattblancarte

Yeah you are totally right, Stebo. I wouldn't worry about what you say on this forum, as long as you keep your real identity hidden. :)

AZhitman
Administrator

FWIW, I am very easy to trace.

My name is directly associated with my screen name. My address is attached to every domain I own. My cars, plates, and pictures of me are all over the web.

With that said, I don't worry one bit. If someone wouldn't hire me based on what I've said here, then I don't want to work for them anyway.

That's the difference between being a man, and being a simpering, paranoid coward - Some of us would do well to learn the difference. It's very liberating.

mattblancarte

For sure. I'm the same way. I WANT people to be able to Google me.

My screen name is my real name for that exact reason.

Return to “Politics Etc.”