is there a better legal engine???

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Cerberus
Car: my car and computers

ok i have a 92 240sx with stock everything i was going to swap out the engine and trani for a S14 SR20DET Black Top with VVT, which would be great accept for one thing. I live in california and i will get nailed come time for emissions check. i thought about the sugestion to find a crooked emisions inspector but the being able to find one is easier said than done. Sooo now i am trying to think of a really kick *** engine to throw in that i wont have to worry about the emmisions trouble. Yes i could just swap the engines every other year but in retrospect thats not a very big gap. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas ast to what i could put in it that would start with 250ish natural horse power without having to chop up the front end to make it fit. If there are no ideas what do you think i could do to the factory engine to bump it up to a decent amount of starting power before mods. my first over all goal was to get the car to 350 + hp but it the feedback i am getting on the job seems to sound pretty simple so now i am thinking 450+ with out NOS. Also the car is Automatic... yuk... so i imagine what ever engine i throw in it i will have to have a decent standard trani in to. So what do you all think? we will say i have 10 grand (could be more depends) to do minor body work get a body kit and then work on the guts then the stero.

thank you

Daunttless

There unfortunately are no other direct swaps to my knowledge. And for any engine worth putting in it would probably be extremely expensive. Also, I don't know the exact laws there but sometimes even if the engine is newer, if it was not the engine that came stock int he car or as an option in the car, in some places its still illegal which would cause you to run into the same problem....

Also, crooked emissions people aren't THAT hard to find. : )

nismokid

move to Fl we have no emission tests :D

ser chicken
Car: cars, water and writing

what about an sr20de? just build it up a bit before the install. even if you leave it bone stock you would have the higher redline, and about the same power outputthats what i would do...

Daunttless

Except its transversely mounted and FWD, unless you buy from from a Silvia in Japan. Then, by extension if you are going to go thru that trouble, you may as well go SR20DET.

Cerberus

thank you all very much for your help, it is very appreciated.

Cerberus

Flipity

from what i hear white gas can get you through emissions, the car will run like crap but it will pass without a problem.. how true this is i dont know, hopefully someone else has tried it and knows.

Daunttless

The emissions themselves are not the problem, the fact that the engine is not legal is the problem.

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

Flipity wrote:from what i hear white gas can get you through emissions, the car will run like crap but it will pass without a problem.. how true this is i dont know, hopefully someone else has tried it and knows.
This does work.

Cerberus

in all honesty i really dont care that the engine is not legal. I mean you have to get caught before they can do anything about it. My concern is the emissions because i am sure it will pass the smog test but i guess there is some other test where they monitor the engine it self and that is whats not going to pass. now if all they are doing is monitoring rpms or what ever i can make somthing to give it a false signal but i need to know what they are looking for to fake. hope that makes sense

Anand

where can you buy the "white gas cans"???? and is that want it is actually called or something else??

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

Black240, your car is beautiful. I just had to say that.:drooling

ic4g63
Car: cars

im not 100% sure, but i read that you can put a dsm engine(4G63) into a 240, but ou also have to switch to a toyota transmition.i've only read about it, so dont flame me if its not true.

drifter
Car: Drifting, cars, etc.

240SXy wrote:Black240, your car is beautiful. I just had to say that.:drooling

I second that emotion.

Beeeeeeeeautiful!

s13ofdoom
Car: car, music, sports

im in the same shoes as this guy. is there anyway to legally put it in? and if u know any smog guys in l.a. let me know wink wink

MOTOP
Car: 04 G35 sedan

I guess the only option for cali guys to stay 100% legal is to wait till Greddy gets CARB number for their kit for KA.

Untill than I'm not comfortable with idea of some nosy cop looking under the hood and impounding my car.

Couple of months ago I went to LA and saw red S13 with lazy eyes, massive intercooler and R32 tail lights getting impounded near the Grapewine. Poor guy next to it looked so sad.

I was like "no SR for me".

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”