Is the D21 Hardbody a 'carburetor engine' or 'fuel injection'? My manuals seem to show *both*! Also some basic Q's :)

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Heart.My.95.Hardbody
Car: 1995 D21 Hardbody 4 cylinder automatic

Hi guys I'm hoping to understand this a bit better, so far as it looked, this engine was the newer / non-carburetor style of engine, however in reading my Haynes & Chiltons I'm finding plenty of info about my carburetor! Some googling says that fuel-injection replaced carburetor-type engines, ie theyr'e mutually-exclusive, so just confused when I'm here trying to learn to inspect/diagnose/etc my fuel/air/throttle stuff (TPS, o2 sensor, MAF, etc, have some issues I suspect are related) and watching tons of videos on these but they've all been based on fuel-injection engines and I'm starting to wonder WTH is up with mine having a carb (and fuel injectors)! Thanks!!

Further, does anyone have any insight as to which parts are replaceable / in-common between the late-model D21's and the Pathfinder or S13's? Planning to make a journey out to our closest junkyard (are there 'alternatives' for this, like brokers or something? So far as I know there's just 1 salvage yard in the Tampa Bay area...that can't be right!), want to know what I can/can't put on my D21 from a comparable-year Pathfinder or S13 (for instance, I know I can swap my hood or front fenders w/ a Pathfinder, or parts of my engine even with an S13/200sx or maybe it's the 240sx I always confuse them ;P )

Again thanks a ton for any insight on this!

PS- would the K24 engine be called an "interference engine" Thanks again!!! :)

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

you don't have a carb if you have EFI. You're probably thinking of a throttle body EFI vs. Multi point. They made the hardbody for 12 model years and there were changes along the way including two completely different families of 4 banger.

Telling us the year and engine (4 cyl vs. V6) would be helpful.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”