Is my ECU Fried? Or what else could it be?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Canadian5thGenMax
Car: 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE

So I have been having many problems with my 01 Maxima GLE.
1. Car idles rough with rpm going up and down and then dropping to 500 and then stalls. Doesn't stall if i keep rpms up.
2. My electrical system is fried. Speedometer and rpm gauge doesn't light up, radio display doesn't light up when headlights are on, and some of the interior lights don't work
3. EVAP Purge valve- have had this problem for a while and just tried to get it fixed and the mechanic tried three valves and none of them fixed the problem.This led him to believe the ECU is shot.
4. One of the abs tire sensors is fried and i guess the others could go at any time. Slip TCS and ABS all lit up on dash.

The only codes read are for the abs sensor and EVAP purge valve. Mechanic thinks the ECU is fried but doesn't know for sure. I've been told its not worth fixing and would cost the worth of the car. Are all these problems interconnected? Any other ideas. Its a shame since the car has less than 190,000 KM on it and I bet the VQ30DEK engine itself is still good, just the electrical. Thinking about moving to an Infiniti m35x and parting out the max. I really don't want to leave the VQ game. Whats your opinion on the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”