Is my air conditioning normal?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
jstmike

Hi All,

I just picked up my Versa yesterday and I love it but I'm concerned about the air conditioning. It was about 85 yesterday and with the air on 4 I put a temperature probe in the duct and the air coming out was only 70. I turned it down to 2 and it got down to 65. This was while the car was idling.

Later today I'll see what the temp is while going but it sure didn't seem like it was cooling the car down enough and it was only 85 outside.

Is this normal for this car?

Thanks.

skoobahead
Car: Powder 1.8SL CVT

Many variables. How long was the AC running? Was the car sitting outside long?Let the AC run for awhile. It takes time to cool off a hot car.Drive the car for a good 30 minutes with the AC on. My guess is you'll be turning it downYour "over thinking it"

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

I've never taken a probe to ours, but I definitely think the AC is not that powerful. I can eventually get comfortable, but I have to have the air on at a much higher (and louder!) level than compared to other cars.

jstmike

OK, I just took it out this morning. The inside temp was 78 the outside was 75. Turned the AC on 2 and idled for 5 minutes and the air coming out got down to 70.

Now as I was driving the air coming out actually got down to 53 after 10 minutes and it felt cold on my face and arms but the actual cabin temp after I arrived 15 minutes later only got down to 75 inside the car. As I was driving I also turned it up to 4 to see what it would do and the air temp coming out went up to 56 from 53 so I put it back to 2.

I just wanted to know from others if this is normal for this car or class of car or do I need to take it into the shop and have it looked at?

I just hate taking a car in and wasting mine and their time if this is normal.

Oh, I also had it on recirc the whole time.

Thanks.

Mudd
Car: 2007 Versa Hatchback SL

On the hottest of days your AC should put out air in the low forties when moving at a highway speed. The newer systems without the Freon 12 do not cool as well. However, they will cool as well after a given time at high revolutions of the pump. That is to say, "slower rpms of city driving do not cool as well as the higher rps."

My Versa, even here in the Western Part of Texas, will get down to about 40 degrees after a 10 to 15 minute highway drive.

I never use the Recirculation mode unless I have a window open as it is unsafe to do otherwise. A lot of good people are no longer alive because of the monoxide.

If after 15 minutes on the road and your a/c air is not in the low forties you should complain to the dealer. Something is wrong.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

As long as you are driving, I see nothing wrong with recirc mode. If carbon monoxide gets in the car, you need to get it checked out. In fact, running in heavy traffic with the outside air on will bring in more carbon monoxide. I don't think the AC cools as quickly as my other vehicles but then again, we bought this car for gas mileage and I am sure there are some compromises made in order to get the mileage up as far as possible.

jstmike

Thanks,

It is about 90 today and the car inside was 110 and never was able to cool down below 105. So I talked to the Service Department and she said something was wrong and so I'm taking it in tomorrow. I also made an appointment to get the tinting done that morning.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Make sure and let us know what they find. I must admit, mine will cool but it is not a powerhouse!! I have the window tinting appointment for 9-15 to do mine.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Does anyone else feel a "cycling" effect with their AC while driving at constant speed? I can be cruising at highway speed and I'll hear a soft "hiss", and the AC will suddenly get a lot colder.

indus49
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S, Magnetic Gray with Beige/Black Interior, Power Package.

Yeah I've noticed that, depending on how you set the temperature, the A/C will kick on and off to maintain a constant temperature in the car.

The problem with air conditioning in a car is that, unlike a home, a car has very little insulation. That's why your A/C works as hard as it does to keep your car cool, and why if you shut it off for a few minutes it starts to get hot almost immedately. If the sun is out, you're essentially driving a mini greenhouse around. Couple that with the hot air that's hitting your car, from both other cars and the asphalt. Well let's just say your A/C has a pretty tough job.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

I will say, though, that the tint has allowed me to consistently use the AC on one lower fan speed than before. When I needed 2 constantly before, I need only 1 now.

I hadn't realized just how much actual glass we have on our cars. Anyone want to compete with the Pacer?

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

when idling, the engine barely has any power to give the ac the boost it needs to cool the air. If your at a stoplight and you can't stand it then rev in N to about 1500 rpms or less and you'll feel the chill.

AC starts getting weak when at a stop, when your crusing, the high rpms will give the AC enough omfph it needs to cool down your cabin. Recirulate helps reuse the air that's already cold, increasing efficency, but if it smells then let some fresh air in and then close the vents again. Usually when your travelling alone, the recir works pretty well, but more people in the car more fresh air you need to keep everyone happy. Alternativitely if you don't want to push buttons, you can pull the windows down and up quickly just to replace those oxygen molecules!

If you want to try the cheap man's AC just turn on to defrost mode, since it will automatically cycle the AC to help speed up defogging the windows (just the AC won't cycle on as much, however the air can only be blown towards the windows so you can at least inhale the cool air

jstmike

Well can you believe it. This morning is overcast and 74 and my AC got down to 40 on my way to service. It was working just fine. I was having the windows tinted this morning and service said that they will check it out anyways.

Maybe I'll have to wait for the next hot day which might be next year. But with my windows tinted that will help too.

I also tried MAX heat and got it up to 140 and cabin of 76 then at idle I tried air and it was 53 on recirc.

jstmike

I just got my car back and the tinting looks great. 35% all around except no tinting on the front. They charged me $200 which seemed reasonable.

They also said there was nothing wrong with the air which does seem fine now. They said it could have just needed to cycle a few times. All I care is that it is working now and puts out 40 degrees. I'll still have to see what happens at full sun and 90.

Thanks for those that responded and tried to help.

Julz
Car: 07 Nissan Versa

My A/C was crap...I had to drain and refill my A/C, I won't let any dealers touch my car....

Return to “Versa General Chat”