Is moon roof leakage an issue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wftright

The practical side of me says that a moon roof would have no purpose and that I'd be foolish to get one. Another side of me thinks that a moon roof would look kinda cool and that I might occasionally enjoy driving along with the stars visible overhead. I remember long ago that early moon roofs had leakage issues. I wondered whether any moon roof will still have leakage problems eventually or whether that problem has been solved. Do Nissans in general have good records of not having this problem?

Thanks,

Bill

peleke
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD, Indigo Blue, premium package, leather, moonroof

I've had mine since November here in the Pacific Northwest and I've had absolutely no leakage issues. My last car was a '98 jetta and it never leaked through the moonroof. I would worry more about after-market installs than the factory-installed ones. but, of course, ymmv.

philipa_240sx

I had an aftermarket tilt sunroof in my '90 240SX. Never had a leak with it. My '87 Pathfinder had a factory tilt sunroof. Never had leaks with that one either.

Personally I don't care for sunroof's or moonroof's. I have to keep them closed most of the time to avoid getting sunburnt. I wish it was an option on Rogues here in Canada, but for some reason they are standard with the Premium Pack. US models have them as a seperate option.

MadMontie1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Gotham Gray

They may be a seperate option, but good luck finding one without the Premium Package, but with the sunroof. Nissan is pretty much packing them together assuming anyone that wants a sunroof is swinging for the Premium Package.

It IS possible, but you'll end up ordering one from the factory and paying sticker.

trusty_getto
Car: Nissan Rogue

I'm one of the lucky few who prodded my dealer to search for a non-premium package SL with a moonroof. They found one, and had it delivered to me (which saved me over $2K).

Doesn't leak at all, and I love mine. Just installed the wind deflector, which allows me to drive at freeway speeds with it wide open

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

I wouldn't worry about the sunroof leaking. I enjoy a sunroof so much I wouldn't even consider driving a car without one. " To each his own." I have never had a leak that a simple dealer adjustment couldn't rectify. Following are cars I've owned with sunroofs: Peugeots, Renaults, Mercedes', Explorer, Outback, Jaguars, CRV, and the current Azzie. Not to worry. They don't leak.

wftright

Thanks for all of the help. An SL with AWD and a moonroof but without the rest of the premium package would be ideal for me if I can make peace with the lack of knee room. At this point, I won't worry about the moonroof leaking, but I recognize that I am not likely to find exactly what I'd like.

Bill

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

I agree...I haven't heard of leak problems an any make/model in years.

I will say this...the Rogue's moonroof isn't the best sunroof experience. It isn't that big and most of it sits right above and behind my head, so I have to look straight up to even notice it.

In my VW New Beetle, the seat position sat so that my head was slightly behind the sunroof. So I had a lot of roof in my peripheral vision, which was much more enjoyable. Plus my head was largely in the shade, so I didn't burn.

I donated that car to charity today with 202,000 miles on it. And that roof never leaked.

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

i've never had any problems with mine and i love it so much. it's 60s/low 70s here a lot and i love to drive around with my sunroof open, if i'm going faster i'll only pop the moon roof.

Return to “Rogue Forum”